Lead Embedded Developer
Oakville, ON, Canada
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2023
Who we are:
Geotab ® is a global leader in IoT and connected transportation and certified “Great Place to Work™.” We are a company of diverse and talented individuals who work together to help businesses grow and succeed, and increase the safety and sustainability of our communities.
Geotab is advancing security, connecting commercial vehicles to the internet and providing web-based analytics to help customers better manage their fleets. Geotab’s open platform and Geotab Marketplace ®, offering hundreds of third-party solution options, allows both small and large businesses to automate operations by integrating vehicle data with their other data assets. Processing billions of data points a day, Geotab leverages data analytics and machine learning to improve productivity, optimize fleets through the reduction of fuel consumption, enhance driver safety and achieve strong compliance to regulatory changes.
Our team is growing and we’re looking for people who follow their passion, think differently and want to make an impact. Ours is a fast paced, ever changing environment. Geotabbers accept that challenge and are willing to take on new tasks and activities - ones that may not always be described in the initial job description. Join us for a fulfilling career with opportunities to innovate, great benefits, and our fun and inclusive work culture. Reach your full potential with Geotab. To see what it’s like to be a Geotabber, check out our blog and follow us @InsideGeotab on Instagram. Join our talent network to learn more about job opportunities and company news.
Who you are:
We are always looking for amazing talent who can contribute to our growth and deliver results! Geotab is seeking a Lead Embedded Developer who will responsible for designing, writing, and testing C code in a Linux environment for Geotab’s GO telematics devices. If you love technology, and are keen to join an industry leader — we would love to hear from you!
What you’ll do:
As a Lead Embedded Developer your key area of responsibility will be to provide direction for firmware architecture and design. This position also involves collaborating and building relationships with other embedded systems developers, engineers, and internal technical teams in a mentorship role, and contributing towards the development of the team’s roadmap.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Identify key areas of architecture improvement and contribute to the team roadmap.
- Take ownership of technical projects and contribute to their implementation and output.
- Contributes to defining strategic direction, planning the roadmap, and synthesizing feedback to ensure team success.
- Break down large engineering efforts into smaller pieces that can be completed in parallel in collaboration with the team.
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the GO device application and functionality and how all firmware modules work.
- Mentor other developers on the team and work with the team lead to set the direction of the team and guide key stakeholders on execution choices and trade-offs, and advise manager with insights and recommendations to improve the team.
- Write unit tests and perform integration and system-level testing in both real and simulated vehicles, to demonstrate that new features meet design requirements.
- Able to learn or write SQL queries and Python scripts on data from Google BigQuery to determine device health and effectiveness of new functionality.
- Conduct comprehensive testing and code reviews to ensure that industry coding standards are followed.
- Debug firmware issues and identify areas for code improvements.
- Keep up-to-date documentation for all areas of responsibility.
What you’ll bring to this role:
- Post-secondary Diploma/Degree with specialization in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or a related field.
- 10+ years experience in embedded systems design with preemptive, multitasking real-time operating systems.
- Strong knowledge of programming languages C and POSIX environment in an embedded software context.
- Exposure and/or experience with RTOS and Linux.
- Exposure and/or experience with SCRUM and project management.
- Experience in hands-on development and troubleshooting on embedded targets.
- Understanding of underlying electronics to the point where it influences firmware development and debugging.
- Capacity to coach others regarding industry standards on data structures, algorithms, and design patterns common to embedded (resource-constrained) systems development.
- Experience leading technical projects that have a high impact on the business.
- Experience influencing technical initiatives spanning multiple departments, acting as a cross-functional liaison.
If you got this far, we hope you're feeling excited about this role! Even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply.
Please note: Geotab does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Geotab employees.
Why job seekers choose Geotab:
Work from home and flex work arrangements
Home office reimbursement program
Baby bonus & parental leave top up program
Online learning and networking opportunities
Electric vehicle purchase incentive program
Competitive medical and dental benefits
Retirement savings program
*The above are offered to full-time permanent employees only
How we work:
At Geotab, we have adopted a flexible first working model in that we have systems, functions, programs and policies in place to support both in-person and virtual work. However, you are welcomed and encouraged to come into our beautiful, safe, clean offices as often as you like. When working from home, you are required to have a reliable internet connection with at least 50mb DL/10mb UL. Virtual work is supported with cloud-based applications, collaboration tools and asynchronous working. The health and safety of employees are a top priority. We encourage work-life balance and keep the Geotab culture going strong with online social events, chat rooms and gatherings. Join us and help reshape the future of technology!
We believe that ensuring diversity is fundamental to our future growth and progress and is an integral part of our business. We believe that success happens where new ideas can flourish – in an environment that is rich in diversity and a place where people from various backgrounds can work together. Geotab encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to accommodating people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes and when people are hired. We will ensure the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities are taken into account as part of performance management, career development, training and redeployment processes. If you require accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information about our diversity and inclusion as well as accommodation policies and practices, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here to learn more about what happens with your personal data.