Principal Embedded Systems Developer
Oakville, ON, Canada
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2023
Who we are:
Geotab ® is a global leader in IoT and connected transportation and certified “Great Place to Work™.” We are a company of diverse and talented individuals who work together to help businesses grow and succeed, and increase the safety and sustainability of our communities.
Geotab is advancing security, connecting commercial vehicles to the internet and providing web-based analytics to help customers better manage their fleets. Geotab’s open platform and Geotab Marketplace ®, offering hundreds of third-party solution options, allows both small and large businesses to automate operations by integrating vehicle data with their other data assets. Processing billions of data points a day, Geotab leverages data analytics and machine learning to improve productivity, optimize fleets through the reduction of fuel consumption, enhance driver safety and achieve strong compliance to regulatory changes.
Our team is growing and we’re looking for people who follow their passion, think differently and want to make an impact. Ours is a fast paced, ever changing environment. Geotabbers accept that challenge and are willing to take on new tasks and activities - ones that may not always be described in the initial job description. Join us for a fulfilling career with opportunities to innovate, great benefits, and our fun and inclusive work culture. Reach your full potential with Geotab. To see what it’s like to be a Geotabber, check out our blog and follow us @InsideGeotab on Instagram. Join our talent network to learn more about job opportunities and company news.
Who you are:
To be successful in this position, you will come with many years of experience in a similar level position, leading transformational technical changes within a large engineering department. You have many years working within Embedded Engineering teams and you possess strong analytical and project management skills. Your ability to identify needs, develop effective solutions, and manage projects through completion will be crucial. Given the complexity of this role, you must demonstrate proficiency in managing multiple timelines and contrasting priorities, ensuring that results are delivered in a timely manner.
What you’ll do:
As a Principal Embedded Systems Developer, you will play a pivotal role in leading a major technical transformation from bare metal architecture to Real-Time Operating Systems (RTOS) for Geotab’s GO telematics devices. In addition to taking ownership of the technical architecture, your responsibilities will include identifying and contributing to the team's technical strategy and roadmap. You will be responsible for executing improvements to our products, infrastructure, and processes while spearheading the transition to RTOS. This transformative journey will require you to create comprehensive documentation to support the transition and serve as a mentor for the team, guiding them in adapting to the new technologies.
Collaboration will be a key aspect of your role, as you work closely with embedded systems developers at all levels, engineers, and internal technical teams. Your mentorship will be instrumental in helping the team embrace the changes and navigate the challenges associated with the transition. Additionally, your contributions will shape the development roadmap of the department.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Take ownership of technical architecture, identify and contribute to the team’s technical strategy and roadmap, and execute to improve products, infrastructure, and processes.
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the GO device application and functionality and how key firmware modules work.
- Develop a system level knowledge of the end-to-end impact of GO firmware and device data on the customers experience.
- Contributes to defining strategic direction, planning the roadmap, and synthesizing feedback to ensure team success.
- Break down large engineering efforts into smaller pieces that can be completed in parallel in collaboration with the team.
- Help debug high impact firmware issues and identify areas for code improvements.
- Mentor other developers in the team and work with the team supervisor to set the direction of the team and guide key stakeholders on execution choices and trade-offs, and advise management with insights and recommendations to improve the team.
- Become a peer to others across the department and drive inter-department technical engineering initiatives that improve product, infrastructure, and processes.
- Keep up-to-date documentation for all areas of responsibility and share technical knowledge to large groups, stay well-informed of the industry state-of-the-art, and bring ideas of new technologies/techniques/practices to the teams.
- Demonstrate Geotab’s core values and culture through collaboration across teams, encouraging recognition and engagement initiatives, attending company events, and demonstrating thought leadership in areas of expertise.
What you’ll bring to this role:
- 10+ years experience in embedded systems design with preemptive, multitasking, multithreaded concurrent real-time operating systems.
- Experience with RTOS and Linux.
- Strong knowledge of programming languages, development experience in C a must.
- Several years of experience in a POSIX environment in an embedded software context.
- Experience with Agile/SCRUM.
- Experience and understanding of underlying electronics to the point where it influences firmware development and debugging.
- Familiarity with data structures, algorithms, and design patterns common to embedded (resource-constrained) systems development.
- Able to research and solve open-ended design problems.
If you got this far, we hope you're feeling excited about this role! Even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply.
Please note: Geotab does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Geotab employees.
Why job seekers choose Geotab:
Work from home and flex work arrangements
Home office reimbursement program
Baby bonus & parental leave top up program
Online learning and networking opportunities
Electric vehicle purchase incentive program
Competitive medical and dental benefits
Retirement savings program
*The above are offered to full-time permanent employees only
How we work:
At Geotab, we have adopted a flexible first working model in that we have systems, functions, programs and policies in place to support both in-person and virtual work. However, you are welcomed and encouraged to come into our beautiful, safe, clean offices as often as you like. When working from home, you are required to have a reliable internet connection with at least 50mb DL/10mb UL. Virtual work is supported with cloud-based applications, collaboration tools and asynchronous working. The health and safety of employees are a top priority. We encourage work-life balance and keep the Geotab culture going strong with online social events, chat rooms and gatherings. Join us and help reshape the future of technology!
We believe that ensuring diversity is fundamental to our future growth and progress and is an integral part of our business. We believe that success happens where new ideas can flourish – in an environment that is rich in diversity and a place where people from various backgrounds can work together. Geotab encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to accommodating people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes and when people are hired. We will ensure the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities are taken into account as part of performance management, career development, training and redeployment processes. If you require accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information about our diversity and inclusion as well as accommodation policies and practices, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here to learn more about what happens with your personal data.
See more open positions at Geotab
Something looks off?