Team Lead, Software Development
Waterloo, ON, Canada
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2023
Who we are:
Geotab ® is a global leader in IoT and connected transportation and certified “Great Place to Work™.” We are a company of diverse and talented individuals who work together to help businesses grow and succeed, and increase the safety and sustainability of our communities.
Geotab is advancing security, connecting commercial vehicles to the internet and providing web-based analytics to help customers better manage their fleets. Geotab’s open platform and Geotab Marketplace ®, offering hundreds of third-party solution options, allows both small and large businesses to automate operations by integrating vehicle data with their other data assets. Processing billions of data points a day, Geotab leverages data analytics and machine learning to improve productivity, optimize fleets through the reduction of fuel consumption, enhance driver safety and achieve strong compliance to regulatory changes.
Our team is growing and we’re looking for people who follow their passion, think differently and want to make an impact. Ours is a fast paced, ever changing environment. Geotabbers accept that challenge and are willing to take on new tasks and activities - ones that may not always be described in the initial job description. Join us for a fulfilling career with opportunities to innovate, great benefits, and our fun and inclusive work culture. Reach your full potential with Geotab. To see what it’s like to be a Geotabber, check out our blog and follow us @InsideGeotab on Instagram. Join our talent network to learn more about job opportunities and company news.
Geotab cares about your safety. You may be required to be vaccinated based on the nature of your work (ex: travel requirements) or due to changing local governmental health requirements.
Who you are:
You are an experienced Software Developer who has grown into a people leader over the many years of experience gained throughout your career. You are team oriented, a natural mentor, and understand day-to-day operations to lead a team of Software Developers.
If you are a passionate leader, love technology and are keen into contributing to open source projects - we would love to hear from you.
What you'll do:
The Software Development Team Lead will assist with the day-to-day operation, coaching and mentorship of various software development teams leveraging expert knowledge in back end and front end programming languages. Design, build, and maintain efficient, reusable, reliable code to develop high throughput, performance critical, scalable applications.
How you'll make an impact:
- Direct software development projects; develop and implement efficient, clean code with assigned team that satisfies customer requirements.
- Manage team with regards to task assignments, work arrangements and other Software Development Department expectations.
- Ensure work progress stays on schedule and update stakeholders on project status.
- Install, manage, measure and change an Agile development process, e.g., SCRUM, Kanban.
- Collaborate with other development teams on design and implementation of features spanning multiple products.
- Perform Test-Driven and Security-Driven Development.
- Conduct comprehensive testing and code reviews to ensure that code quality is maximized and best-practices are followed.
- Participate in development of prototypes, minimum viable products and PoCs.
- Appropriately document system design and architecture such that it is easy to understand, maintain and extend.
- Provide expert project-leadership and guidance to the team as a SME.
What you'll bring to this role:
- 5+ years experience as a Software Developer using object-oriented programming (C#/.Net) to build scalable applications.
- 2+ years in a people leadership position, leading teams technically and supporting career development to those on your team.
- Expert knowledge with database design and optimizing databases (e.g. postgres).
- Strong working knowledge of Docker.
- Proficiency in Git, or some other distributed source control tool, and are comfortable with resolving merge conflicts and renaming branches, etc.
- Leadership experience in a team-oriented workplace.
- Success with coaching and development of employees.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to problem-solve to well-judged decisions.
- Strong project management skills; able to identify needs, develop effective solutions and manage projects through to completion.
- A strong team-player with the ability to engage with all levels of the organization.
If you got this far, we hope you're feeling excited about this role! Even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply.
Why job seekers choose Geotab:
Work from home and flex work arrangements
Home office reimbursement program
Baby bonus & parental leave top up program
Online learning and networking opportunities
Electric vehicle purchase incentive program
Competitive medical and dental benefits
Retirement savings program
*The above are offered to full-time permanent employees only
How we work:
At Geotab, we have adopted a flexible first working model in that we have systems, functions, programs and policies in place to support both in-person and virtual work. However, you are welcomed and encouraged to come into our beautiful, safe, clean offices as often as you like. When working from home, you are required to have a reliable internet connection with at least 50mb DL/10mb UL. Virtual work is supported with cloud-based applications, collaboration tools and asynchronous working. The health and safety of employees are a top priority. We encourage work-life balance and keep the Geotab culture going strong with online social events, chat rooms and gatherings. Join us and help reshape the future of technology!
We believe that ensuring diversity is fundamental to our future growth and progress and is an integral part of our business. We believe that success happens where new ideas can flourish – in an environment that is rich in diversity and a place where people from various backgrounds can work together. Geotab encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to accommodating people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes and when people are hired. We will ensure the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities are taken into account as part of performance management, career development, training and redeployment processes. If you require accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information about our diversity and inclusion as well as accommodation policies and practices, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here to learn more about what happens with your personal data.
See more open positions at Geotab
Something looks off?