Senior Data Scientist, Computer Vision Researcher
Software Engineering, Data Science
Oakville, ON, Canada
Posted on Thursday, January 5, 2023
Who we are:
Geotab ® is a global leader in IoT and connected transportation and certified “Great Place to Work™.” We are a company of diverse and talented individuals who work together to help businesses grow and succeed, and increase the safety and sustainability of our communities.
Geotab is advancing security, connecting commercial vehicles to the internet and providing web-based analytics to help customers better manage their fleets. Geotab’s open platform and Geotab Marketplace ®, offering hundreds of third-party solution options, allows both small and large businesses to automate operations by integrating vehicle data with their other data assets. Processing billions of data points a day, Geotab leverages data analytics and machine learning to improve productivity, optimize fleets through the reduction of fuel consumption, enhance driver safety and achieve strong compliance to regulatory changes.
Our team is growing and we’re looking for people who follow their passion, think differently and want to make an impact. Ours is a fast paced, ever changing environment. Geotabbers accept that challenge and are willing to take on new tasks and activities - ones that may not always be described in the initial job description. Join us for a fulfilling career with opportunities to innovate, great benefits, and our fun and inclusive work culture. Reach your full potential with Geotab. To see what it’s like to be a Geotabber, check out our blog and follow us @InsideGeotab on Instagram. Join our talent network to learn more about job opportunities and company news.
Geotab cares about your safety. You may be required to be vaccinated based on the nature of your work (ex: travel requirements) or due to changing local governmental health requirements.
Who you are:
We are always looking for amazing talent who can contribute to our growth and deliver results! Geotab is seeking a Senior Data Scientist, Senior Computer Vision Researcher who will build machine learning models to analyze video content from millions of dash cam videos. If you love technology, and are keen to join an industry leader — we would love to hear from you!
What you'll do:
As a Data Scientist, Computer Vision Researcher, your key area of responsibility will be to experiment, implement, test and maintain production video analytics models and pipelines using artificial intelligence and deep learning.
To be successful in this role you will be a self-starter with strong written and verbal communication skills, and have the ability to quickly understand complex, technical concepts.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Create machine learning models that can analyze video content from millions of network connected dash cams in order to improve driver and pedestrian safety by analyzing large amounts of video content.
- Provide expert project leadership as a SME: guidance to team members and participate in cross-departmental projects establishing Geotab as a leader in video analytics.
- Create algorithms and predictive models required to solve complex business problems.
- Build new models and also explore existing models for improvement using video content analytics.
- Test the performance of video analytics products and make recommendations for improving Geotab’s product suite.
- Own design, development and maintenance of scalable computer vision and video content analytics models that can be used for object detection, object recognition, object tracking, lane detection, semantic segmentation etc.
- Use machine learning and computer vision packages to develop ML models and features.
- Conduct experiments to identify the root issues of an observed result.
- Collaborate with internal product managers, data engineers, data scientists, software developers and external stakeholders to gather requirements
- Keep up to date knowledge of current research in video content analytics.
- Responsible for the design, development, and maintenance of ongoing metrics, reports, analyses, and dashboards to drive key business decisions.
- Support in building a video analytics platform to automate the model building process.
What you’ll bring to this role:
- Masters or equivalent degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Data Science or a related field.
- 5-8 years experience as a Data Scientist, Computer Vision Researcher or a similar role.
- 5-8 years experience in programming in Python.
- Solid understanding of machine learning, deep learning (CNN’s, RNN’s, LSTM, GAN’s, Transfer Learning), computer vision, image and video analytics.
- 4-5 years experience with OpenCV and other image processing libraries.
- Proficient in building models using TensorFlow, Keras, PyTorch, scikit-learn.
- Knowledge of working with different kinds of cameras, image and video data is an added advantage.
- Knowledge of Edge AI, parallel computing and CUDA is an added advantage.
- Knowledge of ADAS and driving simulation software is an added advantage
- Experience in writing SQL queries.
- AirFlow, apache-beam, BigQuery and other cloud based technologies to scale machine learning models will be an asset.
- High accuracy and meticulous attention to detail.
If you got this far, we hope you're feeling excited about this role! Even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply.
Why job seekers choose Geotab:
Work from home and flex work arrangements
Home office reimbursement program
Baby bonus & parental leave top up program
Online learning and networking opportunities
Electric vehicle purchase incentive program
Competitive medical and dental benefits
Retirement savings program
*The above are offered to full-time permanent employees only
How we work:
At Geotab, we have adopted a flexible first working model in that we have systems, functions, programs and policies in place to support both in-person and virtual work. However, you are welcomed and encouraged to come into our beautiful, safe, clean offices as often as you like. When working from home, you are required to have a reliable internet connection with at least 50mb DL/10mb UL. Virtual work is supported with cloud-based applications, collaboration tools and asynchronous working. The health and safety of employees are a top priority. We encourage work-life balance and keep the Geotab culture going strong with online social events, chat rooms and gatherings. Join us and help reshape the future of technology!
We believe that ensuring diversity is fundamental to our future growth and progress and is an integral part of our business. We believe that success happens where new ideas can flourish – in an environment that is rich in diversity and a place where people from various backgrounds can work together. Geotab encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to accommodating people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes and when people are hired. We will ensure the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities are taken into account as part of performance management, career development, training and redeployment processes. If you require accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information about our diversity and inclusion as well as accommodation policies and practices, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here to learn more about what happens with your personal data.
See more open positions at Geotab
Something looks off?