Director, Platform Engineering
FreshBooks is a leading cloud-based SaaS accounting software designed with one goal: to help small business owners grow. We reached unicorn status after raising our valuation to more than $1 billion and continue to scale our business to serve business owners, their clients, and accountants in more than 160 countries worldwide. FreshBookers are found all over the globe, and our goal is to create connection as a human-first workplace. Our teams have adopted different working environments based on how they collaborate best. Some are fully remote and others are truly hybrid - it all comes down to what's best for the team and for everyone FreshBooks builds for.
The Opportunity - Director, Platform Engineering
As the Director of Platform Engineering at Freshbooks, you will play a pivotal role in shaping the future of our product. You will lead a group of talented managers and engineers responsible for building and maintaining Freshbooks' core components for web and mobile technologies, with a strong emphasis on re-platforming technology solutions based on React and React Native.
You are a leader who not only excels in building and managing technical solutions but also possesses a passion for knowledge sharing and fostering a learning culture. You will be instrumental in transferring your expertise to team members, enabling them to excel in their roles, and ultimately spreading a culture of technical excellence throughout the organization. Your ability to build, teach, and spread knowledge will be a key component of your success in this role.
If you are passionate about technology and product development, enjoy leading high-performing teams, and are a dynamic leader who can drive technical excellence and innovation while managing teams focused on product-led growth (PLG) and experimentation, this is an exciting opportunity to make a significant impact.
NOTE: This role can be worked remotely from the above location.
What You'll Do as a Director, Platform Engineering
- Provide visionary leadership and technical expertise to guide the development of Freshbooks' core platform components for web and mobile technologies. Establish best practices, architecture, and technical standards to ensure scalability, reliability, and maintainability.
- Collaborate with senior leadership to define and execute the technical strategy for Freshbooks' platform components. Stay abreast of industry trends, emerging technologies, and competitive developments to inform decision-making.
- Develop a strategic roadmap for implementing new technologies within the organization. Identify emerging technologies and trends that can enhance our platform's capabilities. Oversee the adoption and integration of these technologies into our core components with a long-term vision.
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams to ensure the successful distribution and integration of new technologies into the organization's workflow. Your leadership will be instrumental in making these technologies an integral part of our product ecosystem.
- Lead and mentor cross-functional teams of engineers, including software developers and engineering managers. Foster a culture of collaboration, learning, and innovation.
- Drive product led growth initiatives by working closely with product management and marketing teams to identify growth opportunities, prioritize experiments, and optimize user acquisition and retention strategies.
- Encourage a culture of experimentation and data-driven decision-making. Collaborate with data analysts and product teams to design, implement, and measure the impact of experiments to improve user engagement and conversion rates.
- Work closely with product managers, designers, and other stakeholders to align engineering efforts with product goals, user needs, and business objectives.
- Ensure timely and high-quality delivery of engineering projects, balancing speed with reliability and scalability. Monitor key performance indicators and drive continuous improvement.
What You'll Bring to the Role
- Proven experience in technical leadership and managing engineering teams
- Experience with product-led growth (PLG) strategies and experimentation
- Strong problem-solving skills and a data-driven mindset
- Deep understanding of software development methodologies and best practices
- Strong background in web and mobile technologies, including front-end and back-end development
- Experience working with Google Cloud, AWS, or other public cloud technologies
- The ability to influence an organization through exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
You'll Stand Out If You Bring Experience In
- Experience in the SaaS or fintech industry is a plus
- A history of establishing teams by developing leaders and recruiting exceptional talent
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to articulate complex technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders
Our Commitments to You
At FreshBooks each person knows their opinion is valued, and can see their impact on the lives of over 10 million small business owners around the world. Accelerate your career, work on projects you're passionate about, and work as a part of a collaborative team without ego! Here are some of the ways FreshBooks recognises and rewards our full time employees:
- 🩺 Comprehensive Health and Wellness Benefits. Including retirement savings program or pension plan matched to your local office, stock options for every full time employee, generous time off, parental leave and new parent support, annual healthy living credit, comprehensive medical and dental benefits dependent on your region, and more.
- 📚 Perks that Matter. Including a Peer Recognition Program, an Employee Assistance Program, headphone credit, meaningful in-person gatherings to bring onsite and remote employees together, and more perks matched to your locale.
- 🌱Working Environments to Help You Thrive. Beautiful office spaces welcome you in Canada and Mexico, and those without access to a FreshBooks office receive a home office credit to set up your home office.
- 🤗 Supportive Peer Group, Mentors, and Leaders. We care about each other across the organisation and have programs to support this so everyone feels a strong sense of belonging, and believes in collective impact.
- 🚀 Accelerated growth. Comprehensive company onboarding, career development through continuous coaching, training, and learning on the job.
Even if your experience doesn't meet every bullet on the above lists, we'd love to learn more about you and why you think FreshBooks is the next step in your career.
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 1-416-780-2700 and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.