FreshBooks is a leading cloud-based SaaS accounting software designed with one goal: to help small business owners grow. We reached unicorn status after raising our valuation to more than $1 billion and continue to scale our business to serve business owners, their clients, and accountants in more than 160 countries worldwide. FreshBookers are found all over the globe, and our goal is to create connection as a human-first workplace. Our teams have adopted different working environments based on how they collaborate best. Some are fully remote and others are truly hybrid - it all comes down to what's best for the team and for everyone FreshBooks builds for.
The Opportunity - Data Engineer
As a Data Engineer at FreshBooks, you will help build new features and update existing ones in our current data pipeline infrastructure
NOTE: This role can be worked remotely from the above location.
What You'll Do as a Data Engineer
- Design and develop data pipelines to extract, transform, and load (ETL/ELT) data from various sources into the target data storage systems.
- Implement efficient data ingestion processes to ensure timely and reliable data collection.
- Develop data models and schemas that align with business requirements and enable efficient querying and analysis ensuring data models are optimized for storage, retrieval, and analytical purposes.
- Collaborate with data engineers, data analysts, data scientists, and product teams working on features for our stakeholders.
- Participate and share your ideas in technical design and architecture discussions.
- Create and maintain comprehensive documentation of data pipelines, data models, and system architecture.
- Ship your code with our continuous integration process.
- Develop your craft and build your expertise in data engineering.
What You'll Bring to the Role
- 2-3 years of experience or coursework in data management, data structures, algorithms, and database systems.
- Proficiency in Python and/or Java, with a focus on utilizing cloud-related libraries and SDKs.
- Proficiency in SQL, including complex queries, subqueries, joins, and optimization techniques.
- Understanding of data modeling principles.
- Basic project management skills, including organizing tasks, setting priorities, and meeting deadlines.
- Understanding of data quality concepts and practices to ensure data accuracy, completeness, and consistency within cloud platforms.
You'll Stand Out If You Bring Experience In
- Experience with Redshift, BigQuery, Snowflake or similar cloud data warehousing technologies
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform (GCP) services including Google Cloud Storage, Google BigQuery, Google Cloud Pub/Sub, etc.
- Experience with software development practices, version control systems (e.g., Git), and writing clean, maintainable code.
- Familiarity with data ingestion and transformation using cloud-based tools (eg Airflow/Composer, DBT, Fivetran).
Our Commitments to You
At FreshBooks each person knows their opinion is valued, and can see their impact on the lives of over 10 million small business owners around the world. Accelerate your career, work on projects you're passionate about, and work as a part of a collaborative team without ego! Here are some of the ways FreshBooks recognises and rewards our full time employees:
- 🩺 Comprehensive Health and Wellness Benefits. Including retirement savings program or pension plan matched to your local office, stock options for every full time employee, generous time off, parental leave and new parent support, annual healthy living credit, comprehensive medical and dental benefits dependent on your region, and more.
- Perks that Matter. Including a Peer Recognition Program, an Employee Assistance Program, headphone credit, meaningful in-person gatherings to bring onsite and remote employees together, and more perks matched to your locale.
- 🌱Working Environments to Help You Thrive. Beautiful office spaces welcome you in Canada and Mexico, and those without access to a FreshBooks office receive a home office credit to set up your home office.
- 🤗 Supportive Peer Group, Mentors, and Leaders. We care about each other across the organisation and have programs to support this so everyone feels a strong sense of belonging, and believes in collective impact.
- 🚀 Accelerated growth. Comprehensive company onboarding, career development through continuous coaching, training, and learning on the job.
Even if your experience doesn't meet every bullet on the above lists, we'd love to learn more about you and why you think FreshBooks is the next step in your career.
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 1-416-780-2700 and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.