Senior Engineering Manager, SRE Platform Engineering
FreshBooks is a leading cloud-based SaaS accounting software designed with one goal: to help small business owners grow. We reached unicorn status after raising our valuation to more than $1 billion and continue to scale our business to serve business owners, their clients, and accountants in more than 160 countries worldwide. FreshBookers are found all over the globe, and our goal is to create connection as a human-first workplace. Our teams have adopted different working environments based on how they collaborate best. Some are fully remote and others are truly hybrid - it all comes down to what's best for the team and for everyone FreshBooks builds for.
The Opportunity - Senior Engineering Manager, SRE
As a Senior Engineering Manager at FreshBooks you'll be responsible for developing one or several infrastructure teams. As a guide in the development and delivery of software, tools, and infrastructure, you know how to scale our platform to millions of users while keeping our infrastructure resilient. Your extraordinary technology skills will help you guide your teams through complex and ambiguous environments toward simple and elegant implementations.
You're already a skilled Leader, able to recruit new talent and champion teams and their leaders. Your technical experience with large-scale web technologies allows you to lead by example. Strong communication and interpersonal skills allow you to effectively influence across the organization.
What You'll Do as a Senior Engineering Manager, SRE Platform Engineering
- Be accountable for the technical vision and drive the execution of a crucial area for FreshBooks - our infrastructure - by leading a group of engineers and through partnership with other product development disciplines
- Work with teams to set goals, plan roadmaps and achieve results across infrastructure responsibilities such as performance, scalability, reliability, environments, and security
- Set, maintain, and raise a level of technical excellence across your group and the entire development organization
- Work closely with the Product Development leadership, including the VP of Engineering, VP of Product, and Directors, to build a world-class engineering organization
- Attract and recruit talent to help execute the FreshBooks mission
- Anticipate and prepare for the future - technology, people, culture, and process
What You'll Bring to the Role
- Proven technical management experience, either with an organization of 10 or more developers or over a period of at least 3 to 4 years
- Technical expertise in one or more relevant areas, particularly the design, implementation, and maintenance of web services and infrastructure
- Experience contributing to and managing roadmaps, project plans, and commitments
- Experience with infrastructure as code, relational databases, distributed systems, reliability space
- Experience with Python/Java/C++ or other scripting languages, REST APIs, testing automation, continuous integration, and build pipelines
- Experience working with Google Cloud, AWS or other public cloud technologies
- A history of establishing teams by developing leaders and recruiting exceptional talent
- The ability to influence an organization through exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
You'll Stand Out If You Bring Experience In
- A degree in Computer Science/Engineering or Information Technology
- Experience working with Scrum or Agile teams
- Knowledge of some or all of: web network protocols, security, persistence solutions, RabbitMQ, Terraform, Ansible, Kubernetes, Docker, ElasticSearch, and similar technologies
Our Commitments to You
At FreshBooks each person knows their opinion is valued, and can see their impact on the lives of over 10 million small business owners around the world. Accelerate your career, work on projects you're passionate about, and work as a part of a collaborative team without ego! Here are some of the ways FreshBooks recognises and rewards our employees:
- 🩺 Comprehensive Compensation and Wellness Benefits. Including stock options for every full time employee, generous time off, annual healthy living credit, and more.
- 📚 Perks that Matter. Including a Peer Recognition Program, an Employee Assistance Program, headphone credit, meaningful in-person gatherings to bring onsite and remote employees together, and more perks matched to your locale.
- 🌱Working Environments to Help You Thrive. Beautiful office spaces welcome you in Germany, Croatia, and Netherlands, and those without access to a FreshBooks office receive a home office credit to set up your home office.
- 🤗 Supportive Peer Group, Mentors, and Leaders. We care about each other across the organisation and have programs to support this so everyone feels a strong sense of belonging, and believes in collective impact.
- 🚀 Accelerated growth. Comprehensive company onboarding, career development through continuous coaching, training, and learning on the job.
Even if your experience doesn't meet every bullet on the above lists, we'd love to learn more about you and why you think FreshBooks is the next step in your career.
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.