Who we are:
Financeit is a point-of-sale financing provider serving some of the largest home improvement and retail organizations in Canada.
Our platform helps businesses close more sales by offering customers affordable monthly payment options for their next big home improvement, vehicle or retail purchase.
We are small enough that you can make an impact within the company and large enough to make an impact in the market.
Financeit is a company where collaboration, inclusivity, fairness, and respect aren’t just ideas that get talked about, but are part of who we are. If such a workplace intrigues you, we hope you’ll join us.
About the role:
Financeit’s Legal Counsel supports the company’s national lending operations from our Toronto offices. The Legal Counsel reports directly to Financeit’s General Counsel & Chief Compliance Officer and joins a small but skilled team of second-line professionals working in legal, compliance and cyber and data security. Legal Counsel supports all areas of the business by providing day-to-day legal advice and support in the areas of lending, operations, consumer protection, risk and fraud, human resources, cyber security, privacy and regulatory compliance. This position is an ideal growth opportunity for a lawyer who has so far enjoyed a core area of practice such as corporate or litigation and wants to expand their knowledge and skills into new areas in order to become an experienced inhouse lawyer with the breadth and depth to tackle any challenge.
What you'll do:
- Draft and review a wide variety of agreements with key stakeholders and vendors
- Manage all litigation and regulatory filings, both new and ongoing
- Provide regulatory compliance support to the business in the areas of consumer lending, consumer protection and employment law
- Support Financeit’s lead management and SAAS software solutions business, Centah Inc., as needed
- Report on legal, audits and compliance matters regularly and when special needs arise
- Manage external legal counsel as needed
- Set internal governance policies and manage the impact of external factors
- Evaluate and weigh multiple inputs and impacts of any decision or course of action
- Anticipate issues and estimate risks strategically, and identify proactive solutions that will eliminate or mitigate risks
- Create associations of trust and respect with key stakeholders
- Deal with external parties (regulators, external counsel, clients)
- Deal with complex, significant matters that cut across legal and related areas
- Keep abreast of legislative changes
- Law degree and entitlement to practice law in Ontario
- 3 to 5 years of relevant corporate or litigation experience in a law firm or in-house legal team
- Experience in Banking, Consumer Lending and Consumer Protection
- A drive to learn new areas of law: the Legal Counsel position supports the business in all respects, so if you come to the table with a litigation background, you’ll exhibit a strong desire to learn corporate, commercial and employment law; and if you come to the table with a corporate law background, you’ll want to learn litigation and risk management, and other core areas of support to the business such as employment law and fraud
- Highly-organized with attention to detail
- Ability to understand general business and finance operations, issues and dynamics beyond the scope of legal issues
- High degree of professional ethics, integrity and gravitas
- Strong organizational, communication and written skills
- Bilingualism in French and English considered a strong asset
Winner of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Culture in 2018 and 2021, we offer more than just the basics. Take advantage of:
- An award-winning culture with a collaborative & inclusive team
- Competitive pay and performance based bonus
- Committed to flexible work arrangements, offering hybrid workplace options
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage + Lifestyle Account
- RRSP Matching and Parental Leave Top Up Program
- In office massage, meditation & workout sessions
- Virtual events such as Lunch & Learns, company parties, fun team activities and charity initiatives
- Career learning and development programs
If what you just read excites you, we’d like to hear from you! Please submit your application and we’ll contact you if you become selected for a phone interview.
Financeit is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.