Senior Backend Engineer (Remote, Canada)
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2023
Eventbase is continuously building and innovating our platform. We are looking for a Senior Backend Engineer with strong coding and architectural skills to join our Fullstack Development team. The successful candidate will provide technical leadership and work closely with our Product Management, Quality Assurance and Operations teams. As part of the Fullstack team, Backend engineers collaborate with our Frontend team and our Mobile Development team to build and improve our product. In summary, you'll be architecting and solving complex technical challenges on a small and agile team that is fundamental to our success in a highly collaborative and dynamic environment.
This is a full-time remote position. Please note that we can only consider candidates who reside in Canada with a valid working status.
Eventbase has set the gold standard for live event technology for more than a decade. We power mobile event apps for global brands including Salesforce, Cisco, SAP, Deloitte and Adobe. We also build official mobile apps for massive events including South By Southwest (SXSW) and National Retail Federation Big Show, as well as three Olympic Games. Eventbase has been recognized with more awards than any other event app platform, including being named winner of “Best Event App” at the Event Technology Awards six times.
We are driven by our mission: to bring people together for the magic of live events, and we’re proud that our industry-leading products have been at the heart of exceptional live events around the world since 2009. Millions of attendees across thousands of events have held Eventbase’s product in their hand as they walked the conference floor, participated in sessions and interacted with others onsite. Our team has a track record of pioneering breakthrough live event technology, and there are more exciting innovations to come. The event industry is being reinvented in the wake of Covid-19, and Eventbase is uniquely positioned to play a key role in this new world of events. We’re moving forward with our vision to shape the future of live event experiences.
Are you ready to join the industry leader in live event technology?
What You'll Do
- Be involved in the development of the market leading Eventbase platform, powering the largest events on Earth.
- Work with talented staff in a highly collaborative, agile team.
- Design, develop, test, document and maintain mission-critical web services written in several languages, mostly written in PHP and Python
- Maintain high standards of software quality with good practices and habits.
- Help develop technology and practices that ensure the highest level of performance and security
- Work with our DevOps team to design solutions utilizing cloud based technologies.
- Code review via git pull requests.
- Produce scalable, maintainable and robust object oriented code.
- Analyze and assist in the resolution of production issues as they are reported.
- Create workflows and tools to simplify how we deliver our apps
- Be a mentor to other developers, and help them grow their technical and problem solving skills
What You Bring
- Bsc. in Comp. Sci, equivalent degree, or equivalent experience.
- 5-7 years of professional experience with PHP and Python development, and a desire to work with both languages
- Proven expertise in architecting, designing and leading enterprise level development projects including collaborating with Product Management, QA and DevOps teams.
- Knowledge of design patterns, idioms and tooling.
- Strong architectural background with the knowledge of, and ability to implement various design patterns.
- Strong unit testing skills.
- Experience with distributed systems and 3rd-party API integrations.
- Familiarity with scalability, reliability and security best-practices.
- Experience working with agile development teams.
- Knowledge of REST API design.
- Familiarity with MySQL and/or Postgres.
- Experience in coaching and mentoring junior developers, conducting code reviews and PRs.
- You are a self starter, and maintain the highest standards of quality in your work.
Bonus if You Have Experience With
- Distributed Systems architecture and design.
- Knowledge of Containerization (Docker) and Container orchestration (Kubernetes) in cloud hosted environments.
- Experience with load testing
- Familiarity with Ansible. Varnish, Redis, AWS, Instrumental tooling (such as Datadog), and CI / CD tools like Jenkins, Argo, or other.
Why Join the Eventbase Team?
At Eventbase we value trust, respect and authenticity, and believe we are all better together. Joining the Eventbase team means you will enjoy a progressive work environment with some exceptional perks, including the option to go onsite at some of the largest events on the planet. We enjoy “No Meeting Fridays” and Eventbasers get every second Friday off, so you can have an extra 26 long weekends every year in addition to statutory holidays. We have a $1,250 annual professional development allocation and $1,000 per year to set up your home office. We also offer comprehensive benefits including extended health care from your first day, a $1000 flexible health/wellness spending account, paid parental leave for all new parents, and paid mental health days. And of course we offer competitive market salaries and employee stock options too.
At Eventbase we work hard and smart, and take time to celebrate our wins. We are a remote-first organization, so our team can work from anywhere in Canada. You will never be required to work out of an office if it doesn’t work for you.
We’re proud of our diverse team: Eventbasers hail from all over the world, with many different backgrounds, cultures and interests. We actively promote women working in technology both internally and by partnering with women in tech organizations externally. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national or ethnic origin, gender or gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital or family status, veteran status, or disability status.