Project Engineer, Sustainable Energy (Nigeria)
EM-ONE Energy Solutions
EM-ONE is an engineering and technology firm focused on accelerating the sustainable energy transition in Africa. We leverage over a decade of experience in developing and deploying projects in distributed energy systems and smart electricity infrastructure, pioneering the continent’s power sector with innovation and sustainability.
Over the past five years, we have successfully completed nearly 300 solar microgrid projects across West Africa. We have worked with leading donors, governments, and technology firms to sustainably power health facilities, schools, universities, government buildings and private sector operations. And we are just getting started.
We like to break down difficult problems using a first-principles approach, leveraging the latest energy innovations to drive our mission forward. Our current focus is on expanding our impact across three main areas:
- Energy access and powering healthcare: solar + storage modular microgrids (5 kWp – 1000 kWp)
- Utilities, commercial and industrial: interconnected solar plus + storage (MWh) microgrids (0.5 MWp – 100 MWp)
- Smart grid infrastructure and technologies focused on grid modernization, grid stability, enabling renewable energy interconnection to the grid and charging infrastructure for e-mobility
We are building a diverse team of engineers, energy sector experts, and world-changers. We have exciting and transformative projects lined up and it's time to grow our team with mission-aligned individuals who are as excited about technology and the energy transition as we are!We are looking for an experienced Project Engineer, with at least five years of relevant work experience, who will be based out of Abuja office to contribute meaningfully to our sustainable energy projects.
Roles & Responsibilities
This is a hands-on role for an experience project engineer to lead projects and take full ownership of engineering and technical delivery across the entire project lifecycle. The role will report to the Head of Engineering. Their main responsibilities will include:
- Leading the complete engineering project life cycle for assigned projects. This will include managing the project schedule, budget, risks, issues, construction & installation, project engineering, commissioning, documentation, and closeout.
- Coordinating & implementing site surveys, energy audits, and energy efficiency improvements
- Carrying out preliminary design, system sizing & simulation using software (e.g., Pvsyst, HOMER Pro and others) as input to proposals
- Providing inputs to designs, project constructability and value engineering.
- Implementing a QA-QC process / detailed documentation for entire project life cycle, working with engineering and project management teams. Providing engineering support to project managers and business development team to plan execution on upcoming & on-going projects.
- Building the Project Engineering team’s capacity & effectiveness; this is not limited to recruitment, training on new processes, technologies & business systems required to make EM-ONE's project engineering team a centre of excellence for project delivery and Engineering Services for Nigeria and West Africa.
- Performing other related tasks as required in the duty and spirit of the role.
We are looking for an expert with a passion for building a team. The right candidate will enjoy working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- At least 5 + years of relevant experience in engineering design, project engineering, construction, and installation experience in MW + Solar PV and Battery Energy Storage Systems
- At least 2 years in engineering management, team building, and implementing systems and processes.
- BS or MS degree in Systems Engineering or Electrical Engineering
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification or equivalent is required.
- Competence in AutoCAD is mandatory
- Competence in PVSyst, Homer Pro is preferred
- Strong verbal / written communication skills
- Proactive nature, keen on attention to detail, self-directed and results-oriented.
- Ability to multi-task and manage numerous projects simultaneously
- Well-versed in Microsoft Office, especially Excel
- System-level knowledge of state-of-the-art technology related to PV Modules, ESS, Grid-tied inverters, Low Voltage AC systems, Transmission & Grid Interconnection
- The ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment is crucial
- Must be able to learn, understand and apply new technologies
- Ability and willingness to travel to sites across Sierra Leone and West Africa.
- Solid social and environmental impact mission with a passionate team.
- Feeling a direct impact to the company and on our mission.
- Opportunities for learning, growth, and professional development
- Working on industry-changing projects with a global team of subject matter experts and stakeholders
- Salary range: competitive based on experience
- Benefits: full range of health & dental; education allowance and learning & development experiences; generous paid sick days & vacation.
Something looks off?