Payroll and Benefits Specialist
Hi, we are ecobee.
ecobee introduced the world’s first smart Wi-Fi thermostat to help millions of consumers save money, conserve energy, and bring home automation into their lives. That was just the beginning. We continue our pursuit to create technology that brings peace of mind into the home and allows people to focus on the moments that matter most. We take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment, all while being part of the exciting, connected home revolution.
In 2021, ecobee became a subsidiary of Generac Power Systems. Generac introduced the first affordable backup generator and later created the category of automatic home standby generator. The company is committed to sustainable, cleaner energy products poised to revolutionize the 21st century electrical grid. Together, we take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment.
Why we love to do what we do:
We’re helping build the world of tomorrow with solutions that improve everyday life while making a positive impact on the planet. Our products and services work in harmony to provide comfort, efficiency, and peace of mind for millions of homes and businesses. While we’re proud of what we’ve done so far, there’s still a lot we can do—and you can be part of it.
Join our extraordinary team.
We're a rapidly growing global tech company headquartered in Canada, in the heart of downtown Toronto, with a satellite office in Leeds, UK (and remote ecopeeps in the US). We get to work with some of North America and UK's leading professionals. Our colleagues are proud to bring their authentic selves to work, confident that what we do is grounded in a greater purpose. We’re always looking for curious, talented, and passionate people to join our team.
This role is open to being 100% remote within Canada although our home office is in Toronto, Ontario. You will be required to travel to Toronto, Canada once per quarter for team and/or company events.
Who You'll Be Joining
As we continue to rapidly grow our employee size this job will be ever evolving. You’ll be joining a small and dynamic group in People Operations, so we’re looking for someone attracted to collaboration and eager to make an impact! We are a close and supportive team who are passionate about what we do. We love what we do and ecobee is a great environment for anyone looking to be valued as a subject matter expert.
How You'll Make an Impact
As our Payroll & Benefits Specialist, you will join our existing team who are responsible for managing the full-cycle payroll process and for managing the Group Benefits program for 500+ employees across Canada, US, and the UK. You will prepare and process payroll in accordance with company and regulatory requirements for all employee groups, including processing new hires, employee changes, and terminations, tracking employee vacation, and processing ROEs. You will report to our Manager, Payroll & Benefits and work closely with other team members in the HR team. We take a team approach in managing the payroll and benefits process.
You will work closely with the ecobee Finance Team, ensuring proper maintenance of employee data and further developing our payroll processes. You will administer our group health plans including enrolments, terminations, and changes to the plan. You will leverage your excellent communication skills to manage employee queries related to payroll and benefits. You will also support the team with processing year-end reporting and tax forms (T4/T2200, W-2, P60 etc.) and preparing ad-hoc reports, as required.
But it’s also so much more than that! We are looking for someone who can work cross-functionally between HR and Finance to review and recommend improvements to streamline processes and increase efficiencies. We are updating our HR/payroll system in the next year, so you will be a key part in making that transition smooth alongside other team members.
What You'll Bring to the Table
- 3+ years of Canadian (multiple province, Ontario is a must) and US payroll and benefits experience (UK would be a plus!)
- Hold deep hands on experience with the Ultipro/UKG payroll platform (Workday payroll would be a plus!)
- Experience as a benefits administrator being the point person for adding/removing employees along with being the main contact for our employees to ask questions about coverage.
- You pride yourself on having strong organizational and time-management skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to take initiative and build strong relationships
- You always challenge yourself to improve upon the status quo
- You are eager to be the best at your craft and are always looking for new learning opportunities
- You exercise full discretion and confidentiality in an ethical and professional manner
- You have or are pursuing the PCP or CPM designation
- Bonus points if you’ve been an administrator on the League platform for health spending accounts!
- Just so you know: The hired candidate will be required to complete a background & credit check
What happens after you apply:
Application review. It will happen. By an actual person in Talent Acquisition. We get upwards of 100+ applications for some roles, it can take a few days, but every applicant can expect a note regarding their application status.
- A 30-minute phone/video call with a member of the recruitment team
- A second-round virtual interview with a couple folks from the team– expect technical, behavioural and situational questions.
- If your second-round interview goes well, you can expect a final interview video interview.
With ecobee, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Be part of something big: Get to work in a fresh, dynamic, and ever-growing industry.
- Make an environmental difference: Make a sustainable impact while on your daily job, and after it through programs like ecobee acts.
- Expand your career: Learn with our in-house learning enablement team, and enjoy our generous professional learning budget.
- Put people first: Benefit from competitive salaries, health benefits, and a progressive Parental Top-Up Program (75% top-up or five bonus days off).
- Play a part on an exceptional culture: Enjoy a fun and casual workplace with an open concept office, located at Corus Quay. ecobee Leeds is based at our riverside office on the Calls.
- Celebrate diversity: Be part of a truly welcoming workplace. We offer a mentorship program and bias training.
Are you interested? Let's make it work.
Our people are empowered to take ownership of their schedules with workflows that allow for flexible hours. Based on your job, you have an option of office, hybrid or fully remote work. It is our top priority to keep employees safe. As we continue to take measures to keep employees safe in our offices, we have adopted a mandatory vaccine policy to be present in the physical Toronto office or other ecobee sponsored events in Ontario as of November 1, 2021. As such, to be in our office, it is required to acknowledge a formal attestation and submit accompanying proof of vaccination status. For the foreseeable future, we will be conducting our interviews and onboarding sessions through video. New team members will also be starting remotely, with all necessary equipment provided and shipped to them.
We’re committed to inclusion and accommodation.
ecobee believes that openness and diversity make us better. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds to apply regardless of race, gender, age, religion, identity, or any other aspect which makes them unique. Accommodations can be made upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Our recruitment team is happy to answer any questions candidates may have about virtual interviewing, onboarding, and future work locations.
We’re up to incredible things. Come and be part of them.
Discover our products and services and learn more about who we are.
Ready to join ecobee? View current openings.
Please note, ecobee does not accept unsolicited resumes.
Something looks off?