Cloud Security Engineer
Hi, we are ecobee.
ecobee introduced the world’s first smart Wi-Fi thermostat to help millions of consumers save money, conserve energy, and bring home automation into their lives. That was just the beginning. We continue our pursuit to create technology that brings peace of mind into the home and allows people to focus on the moments that matter most. We take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment, all while being part of the exciting, connected home revolution.
In 2021, ecobee became a subsidiary of Generac Power Systems. Generac introduced the first affordable backup generator and later created the category of automatic home standby generator. The company is committed to sustainable, cleaner energy products poised to revolutionize the 21st century electrical grid. Together, we take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment.
Why we love to do what we do:
We’re helping build the world of tomorrow with solutions that improve everyday life while making a positive impact on the planet. Our products and services work in harmony to provide comfort, efficiency, and peace of mind for millions of homes and businesses. While we’re proud of what we’ve done so far, there’s still a lot we can do—and you can be part of it.
Join our extraordinary team.
We're a rapidly growing global tech company headquartered in Canada, in the heart of downtown Toronto, with a satellite office in Leeds, UK (and remote ecopeeps in the US). We get to work with some of North America and UK's leading professionals. Our colleagues are proud to bring their authentic selves to work, confident that what we do is grounded in a greater purpose. We’re always looking for curious, talented, and passionate people to join our team.
Who you’ll be joining.
We’re looking for our newest Cloud Security Engineer to join the Security Team. Though our hive is located in Toronto, Ontario this role is open to being 100% remote within Canada. You may be required to travel to Toronto once per quarter for team and/or company events.
Safeguarding our customers’ trust in us is ecobee’s top priority. Our challenges run from automating our systems and building continuous delivery environments, to supporting millions of simultaneous TCP sockets and ingesting nearly a terabyte of telemetry data a day. We aim to do this with high reliability and security in mind. If you are someone who enjoys finding creative solutions to complex cloud-based security challenges, then consider joining us in making connected home devices safer for everyone.
Who you are.
You’re an expert in cloud security and understand the unique challenges it poses, knowing that they are completely different than traditional datacenter deployments. With an expert level of understanding of cloud based networking and associated security practices, you can balance stakeholder needs with security constraints. You codify everything, seek to automate toil, and are excited to share your knowledge in order to cultivate security champions.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Ensure the very best security practices are followed across the organization including the evolution of Infrastructure as Code here at ecobee.
- Audit existing infrastructure cloud assets using integrated security tooling.
- Pair with our primary stakeholders, the Site Reliability Engineering team, to advise and address risks on an ongoing basis.
- Architect new cloud systems and liaise with project teams, balancing their projects’ needs with security and privacy-conscious results.
- Ensure security and privacy are considered in every stage of the infrastructure life cycle and that security issues are found and fixed as early as possible.
- Own security critical product features such as ensuring all communication among devices protect the privacy of our users.
- Develop solutions that work within the constraints of embedded systems.
What you’ll bring to the table:
We’ve built the following list as a guideline for some of the skills and interests of our cloud security engineering team—but we strive to build our team with members from a diverse background and skill set, so if any combination of these apply to you, we would love to chat!
- Hands on experience with securing highly available Kubernetes workloads.
- Demonstrated experience with GCP and AWS cloud service providers.
- Programming proficiency with Terraform.
- Experience with Linux environments, TCP/IP networking, and software engineering fundamentals.
- Working level experience with either Python, Bash or Go.
- Working knowledge of GCP and managed PKI deployments.
- Bonus points for anyone that has previous work experience with Yocto based embedded hardware solutions.
Interview Process (3 Rounds)
Round 1: A 30-minute phone call with a member of our talent acquisition team. An information gathering session to aimed at ensuring ecobee understands your background and skills, and that you understand the opportunity being offered by ecobee.
Round 2: A 60-minute virtual interview with the Security Engineering team for a discussion about your technical expertise.
Round 3: A 1-hour meeting with our Director of Security for a discussion on your values and business strategy.
With ecobee, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Be part of something big: Get to work in a fresh, dynamic, and ever-growing industry.
- Make an environmental difference: Make a sustainable impact while on your daily job, and after it through programs like ecobee acts.
- Expand your career: Learn with our in-house learning enablement team, and enjoy our generous professional learning budget.
- Put people first: Benefit from competitive salaries, health benefits, and a progressive Parental Top-Up Program (75% top-up or five bonus days off).
- Play a part on an exceptional culture: Enjoy a fun and casual workplace with an open concept office, located at Corus Quay. ecobee Leeds is based at our riverside office on the Calls.
- Celebrate diversity: Be part of a truly welcoming workplace. We offer a mentorship program and bias training.
Are you interested? Let's make it work.
Our people are empowered to take ownership of their schedules with workflows that allow for flexible hours. Based on your job, you have an option of office, hybrid or fully remote work. It is our top priority to keep employees safe. As we continue to take measures to keep employees safe in our offices, we have adopted a mandatory vaccine policy to be present in the physical Toronto office or other ecobee sponsored events in Ontario as of November 1, 2021. As such, to be in our office, it is required to acknowledge a formal attestation and submit accompanying proof of vaccination status. For the foreseeable future, we will be conducting our interviews and onboarding sessions through video. New team members will also be starting remotely, with all necessary equipment provided and shipped to them.
We’re committed to inclusion and accommodation.
ecobee believes that openness and diversity make us better. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds to apply regardless of race, gender, age, religion, identity, or any other aspect which makes them unique. Accommodations can be made upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Our recruitment team is happy to answer any questions candidates may have about virtual interviewing, onboarding, and future work locations.
We’re up to incredible things. Come and be part of them.
Discover our products and services and learn more about who we are.
Ready to join ecobee? View current openings.
Please note, ecobee does not accept unsolicited resumes.
Something looks off?