e-Zinc is an energy storage venture based in Toronto with a breakthrough technology poised to disrupt the market. As the global energy grid moves to higher levels of penetration of renewable energy, there will be an exponential increase in demand for low-cost, flexible, long-duration energy storage. This is the market targeted by e-Zinc, the first in the world to “metalize” electricity.
e-Zinc is on an incredible trajectory, which is illustrated by many significant funding and award milestones that recognize its unique technology and strong business plan, including:
- Raised more than CAD $75M in equity
- Investors include Toyota Ventures, Eni Next, BDC, Evok Innovations, and Anzu Partners
- Named to the Global Cleantech 100 two years in a row (2022 and 2023) as one of the top 100 most promising cleantech companies across the world
- $1M grand prize winner of Impact Canada's Charging the Future Challenge
- Won a $1.6M grant through Breakthrough Energy Solutions Canada
- Awarded a $2M grant from Sustainable Technology Development Canada
- Won a USD $1.3M grant through California Energy Commission
Now that the company is well-capitalized, e-Zinc is now looking to expand its talented team and bring our technology to market to support the renewable energy transformation.
At e-Zinc, we are committed to driving the transition to a sustainable energy future and are seeking a Senior Scientist to join our team. This position will be responsible for developing electrolyte formulations that enhance the performance and reliability of the e-Zinc product, performing cost-benefit analyses of the electrolyte formulations, developing testing methods for the electrolyte, developing a technical roadmap and project plan for their work, troubleshooting issues encountered in the cells pertaining to the electrolyte, and be responsible for meeting key results and objectives as set out by their manager. The successful candidate will have a scientific mindset, excellent communication skills, ability to understand the impact of their work on the entire cell system. This position will report directly to the VP, Research & Development and work collaboratively with the rest of e-Zinc’s Technology team.
Position scope and responsibilities
- Performing scientific studies on effects of different components/ chemistries on various aspects of performance on the benchtop cells to develop new electrolyte formulations including 2 and 3 electrode tests and setting up and executing DOEs to understand effects of electrolyte changes on various metrics
- Managing external collaborations on studies related to the electrolyte and ensuring alignment with e-Zinc’s objectives
- Playing various roles in projects including project manager, which includes creating appropriate project documentation, identifying and managing risk, building our project timelines, identifying and helping to acquire and manage project resources, and working with the project and program management team to ensure alignment to the overall project and program objectives
- Creating and owning the electrolyte R&D’s budget
- Assessing the practicality of a particular technology solution in the context of business and technical needs/targets
- Designing experiments and equipment/set ups that are required to complete work
- Building mathematical and physical models to predict and understand different aspects of the technology
- Collaborating with team members and different departments to solve technical issues
- Providing technical input to the various teams within e-Zinc
- Maintaining a safe work environment for yourself and other
- Filing invention disclosures and assisting in patent filings related to their work
- Maintaining thorough and understandable notes and experimental reports/ project summaries that highlight key results
- Training and mentoring co-op students and junior staff members
- Supervising and recruiting team members to help them work on various aspects of the e-Zinc technology, as required
- Minimum of a Masters degree in chemical engineering/electrochemistry/materials science plus 5+ years of industrial work experience or a PhD in the above fields with 3+ years of industrial work experience in relevant electrochemical processes/ devices.
- Expert-level understanding and experience in all associated aspects of scientific research related to electrochemistry.
- In-depth knowledge of corrosion and materials compatibility.
- In-depth knowledge of electrochemical testing methods.
- Wide range of interest and knowledge base in multiple scientific disciplines; ability to quickly grasp and develop the subject matter expertise required to develop solutions to meet technology objectives.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- A self-starter and adaptive learner. Motivated to strive and succeed in a start-up environment.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
- Experience in zinc electrowinning/electrodeposition is a strong asset
- A PhD with a focus on electrochemical energy storage or fuel cell systems
- Previous experience on the design, formulation, and evaluation of alkaline electrolyte solutions or other chemistries, specifically for zinc-based batteries
- Passionate about bringing new cleantech energy innovation to market.
- Motivated to strive and succeed in a start-up environment.
- Disciplined and hard working.
- Exceptional communications skills – oral, written, and presentation skills.
- High level of maturity, integrity and personal effectiveness.
- Personal accountability and commitment to achieving and exceeding goals and objectives.
Studies show that individuals in underrepresented groups tend to not apply for roles if they feel they do not meet all the listed criteria. If you find you are passionate about a role and meet a good portion of the items listed, we encourage you to apply!
At e-Zinc we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer where we consider, celebrate, and embrace diversity. We thrive in an environment of mutual respect and welcome all applicants.