Senior/Lead Scientist - Computational Chemistry
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2023
Deep Genomics is a Toronto-based startup company, with a growing satellite site in central Boston, that is building an AI-powered discovery and development platform to significantly expand the universe of medicines available for genetically-defined diseases. Founded in 2015, Deep Genomics brings together a multidisciplinary team of world-leading experts in machine learning, genomics, chemistry, and biology. Together we are on a mission to rapidly discover and develop oligonucleotide drugs for the treatment of patients with severe disorders of the liver, central nervous system, and eye.
What You’ll Be Doing
We are seeking a world class computation chemist with experience modeling chemical entities relevant for non-traditional drug discovery. The successful candidate will be positioned at the interface of our efforts in chemical innovation and predictive systems, and have the ability to impact both in a fundamental way. You will play a key role in the biophysical understanding and development of oligonucleotide drugs and the design of oligonucleotide building blocks. You will be a leader in our computation chemistry efforts and responsible for building necessary computational infrastructure, as well as helping implement the long term visions that leverage structure based drug design in biomacromolecules. As Deep Genomics is a highly matrixed company, you will be working alongside people of diverse expertise and backgrounds. This will include regular interface with biology (in vitro & in vivo), pharmacology, clinical research, chemistry and computational divisions. You should be a self starter, and excited about working in a high energy startup environment.
What you need:
- PhD in computational chemistry, chemical informatics, physical organic chemistry, computational biology, biophysics, or related field with 2 years additional drug discovery experience as a computational chemists: OR
- MS in computational chemistry, with 5 years addition drug discovery experience as a computational chemist: OR
- BS in natural science with 8-10 years additional drug discovery experience as a computational chemist.
- Experience with a variety of computational tools and methodology including; docking, virtual screening, molecular dynamics, free energy perturbation, homology modeling, quantum mechanics, pharmacophore elucidation
- Experience modeling biomacromolecules (preferably oligonucleotides), and their building blocks, in pharmaceutically relevant backgrounds
What you bring:
- Comprehensive experience in data mining and data analysisStrong scientific programming skills (e.g. Python, R) and pipelining tools (e.g. Knime)
- Familiarity with standard computational chemistry packages (examples may include, Maestro/Schrodinger, MOE/Chemical Computing Group, and/or OpenEye tools)
- Ability to tailor/modify/parameterize computational chemistry force fields for accurate prediction of novel chemical matter
- Demonstrated ability to successfully thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, innovative environment with an emphasis on teamwork, collaboration, and communication within team and across the department
- Familiarity with ML/AI computational approaches is desirable but not required
What we offer:
- A highly competitive salary and meaningful equity compensation (ESOPs)
- A wide array of company-paid benefits
- Remote work possible
- Exceptional opportunities for learning and growth working alongside a world-class team of researchers and software developers working at the intersection of the most exciting areas of science and technology.
Deep Genomics thanks all applicants, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Deep Genomics welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.