Legal Counsel - General Legal Matters with a focus on Regulatory and Privacy
Job Type: Permanent
Reference code: 125654
Primary Location: Toronto, ON
All Available Locations: Toronto, ON
At Deloitte, we are driven to inspire and help our people, organization, communities, and country to thrive. Our Purpose is to build a better future by accelerating and expanding access to knowledge. Purpose defines who we are and gives us reason to exist as an organization.
By living our Purpose, we will make an impact that matters.
- Partner with clients to solve their most complex problems
- Build a network of colleagues for life
- Be empowered to lead and have impact with clients, our communities and in the office.
Are you looking to provide strategic legal advice and navigate risks for exciting and innovative AI, privacy, cyber and regulatory matters? Are you looking to make an impact at a leading global professional services firm? Then we're on the lookout for a dynamic and seasoned Legal Counsel like you to join the team!
What will your typical day look like?
Reporting into the Deputy General Counsel, you'll dive into an exciting mix of regulatory affairs, AI, privacy, cyber, and dispute matters. Your role is pivotal—providing top-notch legal advice, navigating risks, and ensuring that we're always on the right side of the law. This is not just a job; it's a thrilling opportunity for a career minded professional wanting to grow and add tremendous value in a dynamic and high-energy environment.
Regulatory responsibilities include:
- Addressing regulatory inquiries, investigations, and reporting in a timely manner.
- Offering strategic legal counsel to diverse internal stakeholders, delving into regulatory requirements, professional standards, and rules for Chartered Professional Accountants.
- Skillfully identifying, evaluating, and advising on risk and reputation issues linked to financial crime compliance, encompassing anti-money laundering (AML), bribery, sanctions, and trade controls.
- Regularly crafting comprehensive reports for submission to both regulatory bodies and internal leadership, covering a spectrum of regulatory and disputes.
- Formulating and upkeeping a detailed process document/playbook tailored for various regulatory investigations and inquiries.
Privacy and Cyber responsibilities include:
- Responding to cyber and privacy events, while offering legal advice directly to various business units on contractual obligations related to privacy and confidentiality.
- Monitoring various online databases and websites for new privacy, cyber, and AI-related legislation, regulatory guidance, regulator decisions/orders, and court decisions, summarizing relevant information for legal counsel.
- Providing project and incident management assistance on privacy or cyber incidents and projects.
- Organizing and maintaining company and legal department policies, protocols, and procedures related to cyber, privacy, and AI.
- Developing and maintaining a process document/playbook for privacy and cyber incidents.
About the team
The Office of the General Counsel is a national, high performing group of professionals providing legal advice to the Deloitte Canada firm and our business leaders. The OGC consists of approximately 30 people including lawyers, paralegals, law clerks and paraprofessionals. They advise on corporate, commercial, regulatory, risk, employment, and litigation matters. Our work is rewarding, and we see the impact of the services we provide to our clients.
Enough about us, let’s talk about you
You are someone who has/is:
- A minimum of 5 years of experience.
- Experience with regulatory requirements and professional standards.
- Familiarity with privacy and data protection laws, cyber regulations, and AI-related legal considerations.
- Experience in financial crime compliance, including AML, bribery, sanctions, and trade controls would be an asset.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to identify and assess legal risks effectively.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate and provide guidance to various stakeholders.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, with the ability to prioritize and multitask effectively.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, demonstrating professionalism and integrity at all times.
- Litigation experience is an asset.
If you're an ambitious legal professional eager for a stimulating and fulfilling role, we invite you to submit your application for the Legal Counsel position. Become a valuable member of our team and actively contribute to our continued success.
The salary range for this position is $140,000 - $260,000, and individuals may be eligible to participate in our bonus program. Deloitte is fair and competitive when it comes to the salaries of our people. We regularly benchmark across a variety of positions, industries, sectors, targets, and levels. Our approach is grounded on recognizing people's unique strengths and contributions and rewarding the value that they deliver.
Our Total Rewards Package extends well beyond traditional compensation and benefit programs and is designed to recognize employee contributions, encourage personal wellness, and support firm growth. Along with a competitive base salary and variable pay opportunities, we offer a wide array of initiatives that differentiate us as a people-first organization. Some representative examples include: $4,000 per year for mental health support benefits, a $1,300 flexible benefit spending account, 38+ days off (including 10 firm-wide closures known as "Deloitte Days"), flexible work arrangements and a hybrid work structure.
Our promise to our people: Deloitte is where potential comes to life.
Be yourself, and more.
We are a group of talented people who want to learn, gain experience, and develop skills. Wherever you are in your career, we want you to advance.
You shape how we make impact.
Diverse perspectives and life experiences make us better. Whoever you are and wherever you’re from, we want you to feel like you belong here. We provide flexible working options to support you and how you can contribute. Be the leader you want to be.
Be the leader you want to be
Some guide teams, some change culture, some build essential expertise. We offer opportunities and experiences that support your continuing growth as a leader.
Have as many careers as you want.
We are uniquely able to offer you new challenges and roles – and prepare you for them. We bring together people with unique experiences and talents, and we are the place to develop a lasting network of friends, peers, and mentors. Our TVP is about relationships – between leaders and their people, the firm and its people, peers, and within in our communities.
The next step is yours
At Deloitte, we are all about doing business inclusively – that starts with having diverse colleagues of all abilities. Deloitte encourages applications from all qualified candidates who represent the full diversity of communities across Canada. This includes, but is not limited to, people with disabilities, candidates from Indigenous communities, and candidates from the Black community in support of living our values, creating a culture of Diversity Equity and Inclusion and our commitment to our AccessAbility Action Plan, Reconciliation Action Plan and the BlackNorth Initiative.
By applying to this job you will be assessed against the Deloitte Global Talent Standards. We’ve designed these standards to provide our clients with a consistent and exceptional Deloitte experience globally.
Deloitte Canada has 30 offices with representation across most of the country. We acknowledge our offices reside on traditional, treaty and unceded territories as part of Turtle Island and is still home to many First Nations, Métis, and Inuit peoples. We are all Treaty people.