Senior Consultant, Data Protection & Privacy (Federal Reliability Clearance)
Job Type: Permanent
Reference code: 125370
Primary Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
All Available Locations: Toronto, ON
At Deloitte, we are driven to inspire and help our people, organization, communities, and country to thrive. Our Purpose is to build a better future by accelerating and expanding access to knowledge. Purpose defines who we are and gives us reason to exist as an organization.
Have many careers in one Firm.
Partner with clients to solve their most complex problems
Be expected to share your ideas and to make them a reality.
What will your typical day look like?
As a Data Protection and Privacy Consultant, you will join a team of problem-solvers, helping to tackle our clients’ complex business issues from strategy to execution. You will collaborate with our Canadian Data Protection & Privacy specialists, as well as cross-functional cyber teams and our global network of experts to design and implement business and technology solutions addressing our clients’ challenges.
Work you will be involved in will include:
• Conducting Privacy/Data Protection assessments
• Providing our clients with practical and meaningful advice on matters related to privacy and the protection of personal information
• Helping clients identify privacy-related, legal or business risks and assist them in the implementation of the appropriate organizational and technical safeguards
• Planning and executing a pragmatic privacy and/or data protection approach to make it work within our clients’ business operations
• Assisting in drafting eminence materials to demonstrate Deloitte’s expertise in the field
• Tracking and understanding the fast-paced developments in the privacy and data protection landscape and technology changes and what this will mean for our clients and the market
• Advising our client on both process, organizational and technical challenges related to privacy and data protection
• Advising on security of personal and sensitive information
• Supporting project management
• Maintaining customer relationships and assisting with important business development activities
• Translating tech into privacy, testing the new approaches and identifying/preparing privacy standards to guide systems developers
About the team
Deloitte’s Cyber team responsible for Data Protection & Privacy helps organizations with cyber capabilities and solutions focused on development, transformation and resilience of data governance, data architecture and design, data protection and privacy, including enterprise-wide privacy and data protection programs. We help clients in developing a better understanding of the personal, sensitive, and confidential information they collect, process, and share, along with the associated protection requirements. We assist with strategy, reporting and validation, architecture, privacy compliance and governance, and data protection, including specific services relating to data inventory, data lifecycle mapping and requirements, data protection solution architecture, implementation, and management.
Enough about us, let’s talk about you
While becoming proficient in Deloitte methodologies, you will acquire deeper knowledge of the legal and technical aspects of privacy and security. You will take more responsibility and the chance to coach more junior staff. As you become proficient in combining these various skillsets, you will have the possibility to turn your innovative ideas to implementation.
You will grow through internal and external training programs and intensive on-the-job coaching as you work with top specialists who will share their experience and coach you. Lastly, you will have access to the Deloitte University, and work with a global network of privacy and data protection professionals who will influence and inspire the way that you work with your clients and with your team.
We are looking for someone who is:
• Passionate about privacy and/or data protection
• Quick study and fluent in the technical and privacy obligations and challenges present in large transformational projects.
• Aware of privacy challenges (ie. third-party cookies, consent management, privacy by design) and has a strong understanding of data security technologies (data loss prevention, encryption, data discovery and mapping tools)
• Is articulate and professional and excited to collaborate closely with clients daily and to support their business growth
• Able to embrace and adapt well to ever-changing circumstances
• A university graduate, with either a legal or technical focus
• Pragmatic and able to balance multiple simultaneous engagements
• Skilled in effective time management and prioritization
• Fully proficient with written and spoken English
• CIPP, CIPM, and/or CIPT certificates are considered an asset
Federal reliability clearance (or demonstrated ability to get such clearance) is a requirement of the role
Understanding of federal and provincial privacy regulations/standards
Our shared values
While our Purpose guides us and helps explain why we exist, our shared values describe the behaviour we expect from each other at the firm.
They provide common ground to unite us across cultures and geographies. They help us to earn the trust and respect of our stakeholders. We all commit to living by these shared values, to stay true to the principles they represent, and to honour the legacy from which they came. They are what sets us apart and makes us Deloitte.
Every day, we live our Purpose through the following five shared values:
- Lead the way: Deloitte is not only leading the profession, but reinventing it for the future. We’re also committed to creating opportunity and leading the way to a more sustainable world.
- Serve with integrity: Deloitte has earned the trust of employees, clients, regulators, and the public for 175 years. Upholding that trust is our single most important responsibility.
- Take care of each other: We look out for one another and prioritize respect, fairness, development, and well-being.
- Foster inclusion: We are at our best when we foster an inclusive culture and embrace diversity in all forms. We know this attracts top talent, enables innovation, and helps us deliver well-rounded client solutions.
- Collaborate for measurable impact: We approach our work with a collaborative mind¬set, teaming across businesses, geographies, and skill sets to deliver tangible, measurable, attributable impact.
The next step is yours
Sound like The One Firm. For You?
At Deloitte, we are all about doing business inclusively – that starts with having diverse colleagues of all abilities. Deloitte encourages applications from all qualified candidates who represent the full diversity of communities across Canada. This includes, but is not limited to, people with disabilities, candidates from Indigenous communities, and candidates from the Black community in support of living our values, creating a culture of Diversity Equity and Inclusion and our commitment to our AccessAbility Action Plan, Reconciliation Action Plan and the BlackNorth Initiative.
By applying to this job you will be assessed against the Deloitte Global Talent Standards. We’ve designed these standards to provide our clients with a consistent and exceptional Deloitte experience globally.
Deloitte Canada has 30 offices with representation across most of the country. We acknowledge our offices reside on traditional, treaty and unceded territories as part of Turtle Island and is still home to many First Nations, Métis, and Inuit peoples. We are all Treaty people.