Commercial Legal Counsel, Office of the General Counsel
Job Type: Permanent
Reference code: 123143
Primary Location: Toronto, ON
All Available Locations: Toronto, ON; Brossard, QC; Burlington, ON; Calgary, AB; Edmonton, AB; Fredericton, NB; Halifax, NS; Kanata, ON; Kitchener, ON; Langley, BC; Laval, QC; Moncton, NB; Montreal, QC; Ottawa, ON; Quebec City, QC; Regina, SK; Saint John, NB; Saskatoon, SK; St. John's, NL; Vancouver, BC; Vaughan, ON; Victoria, BC; Windsor, ON; Winnipeg, MB
At Deloitte, we are driven to inspire and help our people, organization, communities, and country to thrive. Our Purpose is to build a better future by accelerating and expanding access to knowledge. Purpose defines who we are and gives us reason to exist as an organization.
By living our Purpose, we will make an impact that matters.
- Partner with clients to solve their most complex problems
- Build a network of colleagues for life
- Be empowered to lead and have impact with clients, our communities and in the office.
Are you looking for an exciting opportunity to work with our Quebec market leading, drafting and negotiating complex commercial transactions for Deloitte’s Office of the General Counsel (OGC)? Are you looking to make an impact at a leading global professional services firm? Then we’re looking for talent like you to join the OGC!
What will your typical day look like?
“Due to the nature of the role having interactions with National & Global clients, bilingualism in French and English is required for this position.”
As Legal Counsel (Commercial) you will support the relationship between the Quebec office and the rest of Canada. You will serve as a subject matter expert for commercial engagements, leading, structuring, drafting and negotiating complex client transactions, and providing business clients with advice on high impact and complex commercial transactions on behalf of the Office of the General Counsel. Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Respond to various request for legal support by the business in French and in English, including RFP’s, RFI’s, Master Service Agreements, Engagement Letters, renewals, amendments, Statements of Work, License Agreements, Teaming Agreements and Confidentiality agreements.to review, draft and amend a variety of contracts to accurately reflect business requirements; recommend alternatives, additions or changes, when necessary, to conform with internal policies and internal standard terms, minimize risk, and achieve proper framing of the business needs;
- Daily activities include contract reviews, drafting deviation documents and legal memos, negotiating, and working with the Risk team, senior lawyers and various business groups.
- Working closely with Senior Legal Counsel to advise business leaders on the implementation of, and risks associated with, technology systems and innovations.
- Preparing agreements for the procurement of technology solutions and other products and services.
- Supporting strategic projects, including those initiated or directly impacting the Quebec marketplace. Advising on information/data security, privacy and confidentiality considerations.
- Supporting on proposals, particularly review of public sector contracts in requests for proposal in response to public sector tenders and contracting with the federal, provincial and municipal governments and Crown corporations.
- Supporting Deloitte (Canada) in its arrangements within our global network.
About the team
The Office of the General Counsel is a national, high performing group of professionals providing legal advice to the Deloitte Canada firm and our business leaders. The OGC consists of approximately 25 people including lawyers, paralegals, law clerks and paraprofessionals. They advise on corporate, commercial, regulatory, risk, employment, and litigation matters. Our work is rewarding, and we see the impact of the services we provide to our clients.
Enough about us, let’s talk about you
You are someone who has/is:
- Member in good standing of the Quebec or Ontario Bar
- 5+ years of work experience as a corporate/commercial lawyer either at a law firm or as in-house counsel with a background in technology and IP.
- Ability to read, draft and speak French, including work experience in civil law is a requirement for this position.
- Transactional involvement within a broad range of industries, including private equity, banking, financial advisory services, real estate, asset management, telecommunications, pharmaceuticals, technology, and energy.
- Self-motivated with a desire to work both independently and in a collegial team environment.
- Strong desire to build relationships within Quebec and the rest of Canada.
- Proven decision making, analytical and problem-solving skills with experience resolving complex issues.
- Demonstrated willingness to accept challenges and ability to work well under pressure, with little or no supervision and in a fast-paced environment with competing client demands.
- Strong communication skills both verbal and written.
- Experience drafting and negotiating, commercial contracts, license agreements, master services agreements, transitional services agreements, non-disclosure and confidentiality agreements.
- Strong business acumen, client-service oriented with a proven commitment to quality.
- Experience working across borders and with clients from different geographies and cultures
- Demonstrates consistent thought leadership and strategic thinking in sensitive and complex situations.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Strong work ethic and the ability to handle a broad array of matters and directly interface with Deloitte network leaders.
- Ability to build and maintain business relationships across the Deloitte network and externally.
Our promise to our people: Deloitte is where potential comes to life.
Be yourself, and more.
We are a group of talented people who want to learn, gain experience, and develop skills. Wherever you are in your career, we want you to advance.
You shape how we make impact.
Diverse perspectives and life experiences make us better. Whoever you are and wherever you’re from, we want you to feel like you belong here. We provide flexible working options to support you and how you can contribute. Be the leader you want to be.
Be the leader you want to be
Some guide teams, some change culture, some build essential expertise. We offer opportunities and experiences that support your continuing growth as a leader.
Have as many careers as you want.
We are uniquely able to offer you new challenges and roles – and prepare you for them. We bring together people with unique experiences and talents, and we are the place to develop a lasting network of friends, peers, and mentors. Our TVP is about relationships – between leaders and their people, the firm and its people, peers, and within in our communities.
The next step is yours
At Deloitte, we are all about doing business inclusively – that starts with having diverse colleagues of all abilities. Deloitte encourages applications from all qualified candidates who represent the full diversity of communities across Canada. This includes, but is not limited to, people with disabilities, candidates from Indigenous communities, and candidates from the Black community in support of living our values, creating a culture of Diversity Equity and Inclusion and our commitment to our AccessAbility Action Plan, Reconciliation Action Plan and the BlackNorth Initiative.
By applying to this job you will be assessed against the Deloitte Global Talent Standards. We’ve designed these standards to provide our clients with a consistent and exceptional Deloitte experience globally.
Deloitte Canada has 30 offices with representation across most of the country. We acknowledge our offices reside on traditional, treaty and unceded territories as part of Turtle Island and is still home to many First Nations, Métis, and Inuit peoples. We are all Treaty people.
Something looks off?