Head of Development
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Tuesday, March 7, 2023
Dark Slope is an entertainment company with a singular focus to make the impossible, possible. With advanced motion capture and virtual production technologies, Dark Slope develops genre defining television programs and unforgettable immersive games for our original IP, co-productions and clients including NBC Universal, Nickelodeon, MTV, Warner Media, NBC, and TVOntario amongst others. Dark Slope is recognized as a Realscreen Trailblazer for its impact on the scripted and unscripted industries (2023), as well as a North America Deloitte Technology Fast 500™ (2022) and Canadian Deloitte Technology Fast 50™ (2022) company.
We are looking for a Head of Development to help us create our next batch of exciting new entertainment properties! This new leadership position at Dark Slope, reporting to the studio’s President, is tasked with defining programs for a break-through genre of television which leverages exciting new technologies. This role will be responsible for creating best-in-class production strategy to grow Dark Slope’s development slate of innovative, creative, engaging new programs from ideation to the point of commissioning by unscripted buyers worldwide.
The successful candidate will:
- Possess the ability to inspire the development of innovative world-class brands that leverage the latest in virtual production innovations
- Develop, foster, and maintain close relationships with members of the creative community (producers, writers, directors, studio executives, etc.), pro-actively engaging with them to identify possible productions for Dark Slope while remaining on the cutting edge of new trends
- Network and maintain contact with decision makers in the unscripted commissioning space through attendance of industry markets and festivals.
- Excel at overseeing and delivering on the creation of world-class project packages in a timely and cost-effective manner
- Lead and manage the internal development team and external development consultants to ideate on new concepts, and be adept at shepherding the creation of development materials needed to pitch these concepts
- Manage and allocate Dark Slope’s development budget to maintain a slate of genre-defining HyperReality shows
- Participate in early development of entertainment properties based on Dark Slope roadmap strategiesIdentify programming opportunities based on current cultural trends, ratings, scheduling opportunities and available formats to meet the needs of streaming partners and broadcasters
- Review and provide clear, specific feedback notes on rough cuts of all original programming
- Oversee a small team creating materials (such as visual and multimedia presentations, bibles and sizzle reels) that reflect programming opportunities and positioning strategies
- Lead the development of creative "packaging" and promotional strategies to create a sense of program continuity
- Collaborate with other key areas within Dark Slope in the assessment and development of potential properties, and participate in tactical and strategic discussions with our Games team and Virtual Production teams
- Minimum of 6-8 years experience working in television production and development with particular focus on unscripted content
- Possesses established connections in the international and domestic unscripted television community
- Has developed a strong track record in world class project/brand development to the point of project commissions
- Strong experience developing and leading cross-departmental teams and creating collaborative environments that are inclusive and incorporate new voices and underrepresented groups
- Is on top of emerging trends and needs of broadcasters, streamers and evolving unscripted platforms
- Has the ability to travel and participate in international festivals and markets
- Some experience and understanding of motion capture animation and/or the applications of game-engine technology to content creation is a bonus
- Passionate about unscripted programming
- Has great instincts and taste for quality content, and has the willingness to take strategic creative risks
- Strong interest in innovation and the use of technology to enhance entertainment experiences
- A high level of cultural sensitivity
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Exceptional leadership and strategic acumen
- Solutions-oriented thinker with strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadline, handle shifting priorities and multiple assignments
- Ability to successfully work with peers, colleagues, and superiors with a special emphasis on communicating creative goals and the value of intellectual properties to various constituents
- Aligned with Dark Slope’s values of transparency, taking initiative and aiming for properties that ‘wow’ our audiences
- Proficiency in English
- The candidate for this Head of Development role is preferably based in, or willing to move to Toronto.
At Dark Slope, we are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all candidates, and we recognize the importance of diversity and inclusion in our workplace. We appreciate unique perspectives that stem from diverse lived experiences. We prioritize transparency in all aspects of our operations and work to maintain an open, honest, and efficient workplace. We encourage unconventional thinking, and we are willing to accommodate your individual needs to support your success. Dark Slope is happy to work with applicants who require accommodations at any point during the hiring process.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
See more open positions at Dark Slope
Something looks off?