Learning Experience Architect
D2L is a cloud company that is modernizing education and building the Future of Work. The old models of teaching and learning are in the midst of the largest transformation in history, and D2L is at the heart of that fundamental shift.
New models of teaching and learning enable a personalized, student-centric experience – and deliver improved retention, engagement, satisfaction, and results for learners of all ages – in schools, campuses, and companies.
D2L is disrupting the way the world learns, by providing the next generation learning environment and solutions to engage and inspire learners. And most importantly, by giving customers a platform that is easy, flexible, and smart. No other company provides a solution as robust and innovative as D2L.
D2L has had a singular mission for 20 years and is dedicated to that same mission in the years ahead: to transform the way the world learns – and by doing so, we will help improve human potential globally.
A member of our Talent Acquisition team reviews ALL of our applications - yes a real person reviews resumes! They are excited to read more about what amazing things you could add to D2L.
Every day, our software is used by millions of people around the world, and we are looking for individuals who share in our excitement and passion for transforming the way the world learns. At D2L, we believe that learning should be accessible and engaging. Our goal is to create easy, flexible, and smart software that ignites the desire to learn in everyone. To do this, we need to give talented, enthusiastic, and passionate people opportunities to create, develop, and collaborate on projects that revolutionize the learning environment.
As a integral member within the courseware team, the Learning Experience Architect (LXA) guides and supports the strategy, planning, research, user experience, design and development of learning ecosystems for client projects. The main responsibility of the LXA will be working with client stakeholders, learning strategy, and the courseware team to understand requirements and ensure user experience goals, learning needs and implementation strategies are aligned throughout an engagement. The LXA will interface with different project-specific and operational leaders within D2L, as well as client stakeholders to ensure that there is alignment to client vision, goals, and expectations and that we are deliver exceptional learner centric experiences.
- Focus: Primarily concerned with shaping the overall learning experience, beyond just content creation. This includes considering user experience, interface design, and the overall environment where learning occurs.
- Holistic Approach: Looks at the broader context of learning, focusing on the entire learning journey. Considers factors like user engagement, motivation, and interaction design.
- Design Thinking: Often employs design thinking principles to craft immersive and engaging learning experiences that extend beyond traditional instructional content.
- Technology Integration: May focus more on the integration of emerging technologies, simulations, gamification, and adaptive learning principles into the learning experience.
- Act as strategic team member to analyze learning needs of client and collaborate with stakeholder to define learning objectives and goals
- Drive innovation in learning experience design, experimenting with new approaches to improve learner engagement and outcomes
- Collaborate with Learning Strategy Consultants to understand client vision, goals, learner persona, and learner experiences, to effectively support delivery teams and alignment to learning experiences
- Collaborate with client and internal stakeholders, Subject Matter Experts (SME), product managers, and users to gather and analyze requirements to ensure user needs and learning goals are central to the design process
- Collaborate with delivery teams to drive a shared understanding of client vision/goals throughout multimedia development, navigational design, and the design of content experiences
- Drive innovation in learning design by monitoring and analyzing trends in education and learning methodologies for each segment and incorporating new techniques or technologies for improved effectiveness.
- Strong written and oral communication
- In-depth knowledge of instructional design principles and practices including the ADDIE model, adult learning principles, interactive learning design, and blended learning techniques
- In-depth understanding of UX design processes and best practices
- Ability to take abstract visions and goals and translate them into valuable deliverables
- Working with client stakeholders and executives
- Completing needs analyses for clients
- Strategic planning and organization of client goals and objectives
- Translated strategy to UX design, product design, and learning content design
- Working with learning management systems, specifically Brightspace
- Analytical, consulting, and organizational abilities
- Ability to take holistic perspective of client goals to create effective learning experience/ecosystems
- 10 years' experience in user experience design and/or developing learning solutions across different learning segments
- Demonstrated experience working with client stakeholders and supporting program delivery
- Applying pedagogical theory and learning design principles to strategy, planning, development, and design
- Experience with developing digital content for various audiences
- Leveraging different tools and functionality of Brightspace (or other LMSs) to integrate interactivity, multimedia, LMS tools, and features.
- Adapting training materials and course content to suit different methods of learning delivery (instructor-led, self-paced, synchronous, asynchronous, blended, etc.).
- Adapting training materials and course content based on different business segments (K12, higher ed, and corporate)
- Experience in user experience design and/or or digital experience design
D2L Leadership Competencies
- Leads by Example with personal and professional integrity, high accountability and say/do ratio
- Boundaryless collaboration and influence skills both within team, peer group and broader organization. Effective communicator with a proven track record of success.
- Delivers Awesome Outcomes: Strategic mindset and business acumen, with strong prioritization skills and a focus on organizational outcomes vs. team tasks. Effective problem solver, able to achieve results individually and through others, in fast paced, deadline-driven environments.
- Talent Magnet: Talent-focused leader, with demonstrated ability to coach, build and lead a high performing, diverse team.
- Better, Smarter, Faster: An agile learner, with a growth mindset, attention to detail and organizational skills. An operationally minded leader, with a focus on continuous improvement and innovation.
- Wins Hearts and Minds: An effective communicator, with the ability to connect the why and the what. A change agent, with proven delegation, motivation, and team building skills.
The expected base salary range for a new hire in this role is listed below. The annualized base salary offered is determined by each candidate’s relevant knowledge, skills, education, training and experience. It is aligned to ensure both internal and external competitiveness using market data for the geographic location and industry. As part of the total compensation at D2L the role may be eligible for additional benefits including a Wellness Subsidy, Equity Grants, Variable Incentive, and more.
Don’t meet every single requirement? We strongly encourage you to still apply! At D2L, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment. We encourage your application even if you don't believe you meet every single qualification outlined, because we love to help our people grow and develop!
Why we're awesome:
At D2L, we are dedicated to providing you with the tools to do the best work of your life. While some of our perks and benefits may vary depending on location or employment type, we are proud to provide employees with the following through #LifeAtD2L;
- Impactful work transforming the way the world learns
- Flexible work arrangements
- Learning and Growth opportunities
- Tuition reimbursement of up to $4,000 CAD for continuing education through our Catch the Wave Program
- 2 Paid Days off for Catch the Wave related activities like exams or final assignments
- Employee wellbeing (Access to mental health services, EFAP program, financial planning and more)
- Retirement planning
- 2 Paid Volunteer Days
- Competitive Benefits Package
- Home Internet Reimbursements
- Employee Referral Program
- Wellness Reimbursement
- Employee Recognition
- Social Events
- Dog Friendly Offices at our HQ in Kitchener, Winnipeg, Vancouver and Melbourne.