User Experience Researcher - Spring 2024 Co-op
D2L is a cloud company that is modernizing education and building the Future of Work. The old models of teaching and learning are in the midst of the largest transformation in history, and D2L is at the heart of that fundamental shift.
New models of teaching and learning enable a personalized, student-centric experience – and deliver improved retention, engagement, satisfaction, and results for learners of all ages – in schools, campuses, and companies.
D2L is disrupting the way the world learns, by providing the next generation learning environment and solutions to engage and inspire learners. And most importantly, by giving customers a platform that is easy, flexible, and smart. No other company provides a solution as robust and innovative as D2L.
D2L has had a singular mission for 20 years and is dedicated to that same mission in the years ahead: to transform the way the world learns – and by doing so, we will help improve human potential globally.
A member of our Talent Acquisition team reviews ALL of our applications - yes a real person reviews resumes! They are excited to read more about what amazing things you could add to D2L.
We are looking for an aspiring researcher to join our User Experience Research team. This role involves planning and conducting research on UX design projects that directly impact the experience of millions of users worldwide. We aim to gain a deep understanding of the problems users face and help others develop empathy so we can develop a product that is easy, flexible, and smart.
At D2L, UX Research is part of the larger Product Design Team. This means we work closely with Product Designers to inform the design on product initiatives. We get involved early in development projects to conduct research about our users’ goals, motivations, and challenges. As designers work through the phases of their projects, we stay deeply engaged and execute usability research to make sure that the final product is meeting our users’ needs and expectations.
The Product Design Team is part of our larger Technology, Engineering, and Design organization that is responsible for creating and developing all of D2L’s products. This means that we collaborate with not only designers, but also Product Managers, Developers, and many other talented D2Lers on our research projects.What you'll get out of working at D2L
The D2L User Experience Research team is focused on providing the resources, knowledge, and data that our company needs to make our products easy to use and intuitive. Our team has many areas of expertise including qualitative and quantitative data analysis, usability testing, research planning and design, study facilitation, and more. We conduct research with real users of our software to allow our development teams to make data-informed decisions in their design processes.
Our tight-knit team of researchers prioritizes the support and growth of all our team members. We learn from each other to develop the skills to do great work. Joining our team means joining a group that is there for you when you need help and will give you the resources you need to succeed. We believe that co-op terms are not just for work, they are also for growth and learning.What would my main duties be?
- Participate in the experimental design process
- Collaborate closely with Product Designers and Product Managers
- Facilitate moderated UX Research studies
- Lead research operations efforts for studies (recruitment, tools, materials, etc.)
- Assist with data analysis (qualitative & quantitative)
- Communicate research findings to cross-functional teams and leadership
- Contribute to team meetings and level up colleaguesWhat is D2L looking for from me?
- Completed at least 1 research methods course
- Experience with research design and controlled data collection
- Experience recruiting and testing participants
- Experience working in a team
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving
- Highly motivated and able to work independently
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills
- Basic computer literacyEducation Recommendations
Currently a candidate for Bachelor's degree or diploma in Psychology or a related field with the Co-op option
The expected weekly salary range for a student hire in this role is listed below. The base salary offered is determined by each candidate’s relevant knowledge, skills, education, training and experience. It is aligned to ensure both internal and external competitiveness using market data for the geographic location and school specific salary surveys.
Don’t meet every single requirement? We strongly encourage you to still apply! At D2L, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment. We encourage your application even if you don't believe you meet every single qualification outlined, because we love to help our people grow and develop!
Why we're awesome:
At D2L, we are dedicated to providing you with the tools to do the best work of your life. While some of our perks and benefits may vary depending on location or employment type, we are proud to provide employees with the following through #LifeAtD2L;
- Impactful work transforming the way the world learns
- Flexible work arrangements
- Learning and Growth opportunities
- Tuition reimbursement of up to $4,000 CAD for continuing education through our Catch the Wave Program
- 2 Paid Days off for Catch the Wave related activities like exams or final assignments
- Employee wellbeing (Access to mental health services, EFAP program, financial planning and more)
- Retirement planning
- 2 Paid Volunteer Days
- Competitive Benefits Package
- Home Internet Reimbursements
- Employee Referral Program
- Wellness Reimbursement
- Employee Recognition
- Social Events
- Dog Friendly Offices at our HQ in Kitchener, Winnipeg, Vancouver and Melbourne.