Data Engineer- IT
D2L is a cloud company that is modernizing education and building the Future of Work. The old models of teaching and learning are in the midst of the largest transformation in history, and D2L is at the heart of that fundamental shift.
New models of teaching and learning enable a personalized, student-centric experience – and deliver improved retention, engagement, satisfaction, and results for learners of all ages – in schools, campuses, and companies.
D2L is disrupting the way the world learns, by providing the next generation learning environment and solutions to engage and inspire learners. And most importantly, by giving customers a platform that is easy, flexible, and smart. No other company provides a solution as robust and innovative as D2L.
D2L has had a singular mission for 20 years and is dedicated to that same mission in the years ahead: to transform the way the world learns – and by doing so, we will help improve human potential globally.
A member of our Talent Acquisition team reviews ALL of our applications - yes a real person reviews resumes! They are excited to read more about what amazing things you could add to D2L.
General Description (Job Summary):
As a Data Engineer within the D2L Data Services team under IT, you will contribute to expanding and maintaining our data pipeline architecture to democratize data at D2L. You will apply your experience working with various data technologies to make data accessible in a consistent manner across the organization. In this role, you will be responsible for building and maintaining services to extract, transform and load data from several data sources leveraging a technology stack influenced by the Data Services team.
Major Responsibilities (How Will I Make an Impact?):
- Collaborate with the D2L Data Services team lead to streamline and prioritize daily data operations and maintenance activities
- Contribute to the evolution of data practices within D2L.
- Contribute to creating, maintaining and operationalizing a sustainable data pipeline architecture
- Develop data extractions and tools for processing and storing data with ensuring the scalability, efficiency, and reliability of our data infrastructure aligned to common practices
- Ensure that D2L’s corporate data is secure and aligned with contractual obligations for data residency
- Build and support paved paths for data sets to be used consistently by the distributed visualization functions across D2L
- Collaborate with business stakeholders to understand functional requirements to enable data-driven decision-making through simple self-service reporting
- Engage with Visualization experts to provide consultation on optimizing data processes and efficiencies
Competencies (What you’ll bring to the role):
- An analytical mind, demonstrating creativity, problem-solving aptitude, and a desire for continual improvement.
- 3+ years of experience in data engineering, data science, or a related field, showcasing your knowledge and proven track record. Development experience (C#, Python, or others) is an asset.
- Hands-on experience with database design, complex SQL queries, and report development, enabling you to create effective data solutions.
- Familiarity with AWS infrastructure and experience working with ETL systems such as SSIS, Glue, or similar tools.
- Experience working collaboratively with business stakeholders on designing and developing data-driven insights.
- Effects quantifiable business impact by solving stakeholder problems using data solutions and influencing outcomes based on best practices.
D2L Leadership Competencies
- Boundaryless: Collaborates with other teams, peers, and leaders to work towards common goals. Effective communicator with a proven track record.
- Delivers Awesome Outcomes: Strong prioritization skills. Effective problem solver, able to achieve results individually and working with others in fast-paced, deadline-driven environments.
- Better, Smarter, Faster: An agile learner, with a growth mindset, attention to detail and organizational skills. A team contributor with a focus on continuous improvement and innovation.
- Wins Hearts and Minds: An effective communicator, with the ability to connect the why and the what.
- Education in Computer Science, Data Science, Engineering, or relevant experience
Don’t meet every single requirement? We strongly encourage you to still apply! At D2L, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment. We encourage your application even if you don't believe you meet every single qualification outlined, because we love to help our people grow and develop!
Why we're awesome:
At D2L, we are dedicated to providing you with the tools to do the best work of your life. While some of our perks and benefits may vary depending on location or employment type, we are proud to provide employees with the following through #LifeAtD2L;
- Impactful work transforming the way the world learns
- Flexible work arrangements
- Learning and Growth opportunities
- Tuition reimbursement of up to $4,000 CAD for continuing education through our Catch the Wave Program
- 2 Paid Days off for Catch the Wave related activities like exams or final assignments
- Employee wellbeing (Access to mental health services, EFAP program, financial planning and more)
- Retirement planning
- 2 Paid Volunteer Days
- Competitive Benefits Package
- Home Internet Reimbursements
- Employee Referral Program
- Wellness Reimbursement
- Employee Recognition
- Social Events
- Dog Friendly Offices at our HQ in Kitchener, Winnipeg, Vancouver and Melbourne.