Director, Product Planning- 15 months contract
D2L is a cloud company that is modernizing education and building the Future of Work. The old models of teaching and learning are in the midst of the largest transformation in history, and D2L is at the heart of that fundamental shift.
New models of teaching and learning enable a personalized, student-centric experience – and deliver improved retention, engagement, satisfaction, and results for learners of all ages – in schools, campuses, and companies.
D2L is disrupting the way the world learns, by providing the next generation learning environment and solutions to engage and inspire learners. And most importantly, by giving customers a platform that is easy, flexible, and smart. No other company provides a solution as robust and innovative as D2L.
D2L has had a singular mission for 20 years and is dedicated to that same mission in the years ahead: to transform the way the world learns – and by doing so, we will help improve human potential globally.
A member of our Talent Acquisition team reviews ALL of our applications - yes a real person reviews resumes! They are excited to read more about what amazing things you could add to D2L.
The Director of Product Planning is a product and operational leader with experience designing, building, and scaling a function focused on empowering product and technology teams to do the best work of their lives and sustainably deliver world-class products. Reporting to the VP of Product Operations, this director will enable D2L’s efficient, effective, and agile product development lifecycle with a deep focus on light-weight process design and implementation, communication and training, and organizational acceleration. Specifically, the person will lead a team that is responsible for:
- Roadmap, Product Development, and GTM Practices and Processes
- Release Management & Product Enablement
- Product Performance and Insights
- Tools Management
- Business Process Optimization
- Other Operational Responsibilities to Drive Success
The Director of Product Planning is a key member of the President’s extended leadership team. They will work closely with colleagues across Product, Technology, and Services – as well as partnering with Sales, Marketing, and Finance.
Major Responsibilities (How Will I Make an Impact?):
- Partner closely with product and technology leaders to deliver on business goals
- Oversee roadmap planning and management to sustainably deliver product and optimize time to value
- Document and evangelize D2L’s shared product and software development lifecycles
- Define shared, agile practices and processes – ensuring efficient, effective, predictable, and reliable product and software development
- Facilitate the creation and implementation of a companywide GTM process – iterating over time for optimization
- Oversee product insights and performance analyses to ensure traceability from market-need through design, development, delivery, and utilization of thematic features
- Facilitate release management and related processes – iterating over time for optimization
- Build product enablement capability aligned with release management and other functions
- Manage the product management tech stack – enabling outputs aligned to processes, minimizing costs, and ensuring consistent adoption; document best practices
- Use systems thinking to facilitate process design and optimization across D2L as needed
- Communicate broadly across teams, senior leadership, and C-level staff – championing transparency
- Build and lead a best-in-class product planning team supporting responsibilities
People Leadership and Performance
- Passionate about people leadership and leading effective teams
- Manage a team of D2Lers and champion a high performing culture
- Connect your team’s day to day accountabilities to D2L’s mission by setting clear objectives and performance expectations with your team members
- Coach, provide regular feedback, provide career path and development or growth opportunities, and create a collaborative and open environment
- Collaborate through cross-functional teams to accomplish established corporate and team goals and effectively manage relationships with other D2L teams
- Responsible for supporting vision, planning, and defining team objectives, and leading execution of objectives
- Work with peers and leaders to drive productivity, efficiency, and hold team accountable for high quality outcomes
- Play key role with interviewing, hiring, and onboarding new team members. Provide expertise and coaching/mentorship to the team members
- Produce and actively participate in knowledge sharing as well as professional development initiatives
Competencies (What you’ll bring to the role):
- 10+ years of directly related work experience in a fast-paced, global, high-growth technology markets; education technology experience strongly preferred
- 5+ years of successful track record of leading product management operations within product operations, product management, or other operational functions working closely with product and engineering teams
- Demonstrated ability to independently translate strategy, solution complex issues, and drive for results through personal and team accountability, while building strong organizational bridges
- Proven experience defining, implementing, and iterating agile development practices and processes within a fast-growing technology company
- Player-coach mentality
- Passionate about building a data-driven organizations and leveraging product insights to drive decisions
- Demonstrated success in managing companywide GTM, pricing, and/or packaging initiatives
- Proficient in common product and work management tools
- Outstanding communications skills with great reputation for communicating highly complex ideas and concepts with simplicity, power, and emotional impac
- Strong business acumen and thrive in an organization that is simultaneously mission, growth, and business driven
- Demonstrated success in building and leading high-performance team
- A strong spirit of collaboration and joy
D2L Leadership Competencies (What you’ll demonstrate):
- Leads by Example with personal and professional integrity, high accountability and say/do ratio
- Boundaryless collaboration and influence skills both within team, peer group and broader organization. Effective communicator with a proven track record of
- Delivers Awesome Outcomes: Strategic mindset and business acumen, with strong prioritization skills and a focus on organizational outcomes vs. team tasks. Effective problem solver, able to achieve results individually and through others, in fast paced, deadline-driven environments.
- Talent Magnet: Talent-focused leader, with demonstrated ability to coach, build and lead a high performing, diverse team.
- Better, Smarter, Faster: An agile learner, with a growth mindset, attention to detail and organizational skills. An operationally minded leader, with a focus on continuous improvement and innovation.
- Wins Hearts and Minds: An effective communicator, with the ability to connect the why and the what. A change agent, with proven delegation, motivation, and team building skills.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Business Administration or related
- Product Management certification a strong plus
- Agile, Project Management, and/or Change Management certification(s) a strong plus (i.e., PMP, Six Sigma CSM, SAFe, Prosci)
Don’t meet every single requirement? We strongly encourage you to still apply! At D2L, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment. We encourage your application even if you don't believe you meet every single qualification outlined, because we love to help our people grow and develop!
Why we're awesome:
At D2L, we are dedicated to providing you with the tools to do the best work of your life. While some of our perks and benefits may vary depending on location or employment type, we are proud to provide employees with the following through #LifeAtD2L;
- Impactful work transforming the way the world learns
- Flexible work arrangements
- Learning and Growth opportunities
- Tuition reimbursement of up to $4,000 CAD for continuing education through our Catch the Wave Program
- 2 Paid Days off for Catch the Wave related activities like exams or final assignments
- Employee wellbeing (Access to mental health services, EFAP program, financial planning and more)
- Retirement planning
- 2 Paid Volunteer Days
- Competitive Benefits Package
- Home Internet Reimbursements
- Employee Referral Program
- Wellness Reimbursement
- Employee Recognition
- Social Events
- Dog Friendly Offices at our HQ in Kitchener, Winnipeg, Vancouver and Melbourne.