Senior Product Manager, Wave
D2L is a cloud company that is modernizing education and building the Future of Work. The old models of teaching and learning are in the midst of the largest transformation in history, and D2L is at the heart of that fundamental shift.
New models of teaching and learning enable a personalized, student-centric experience – and deliver improved retention, engagement, satisfaction, and results for learners of all ages – in schools, campuses, and companies.
D2L is disrupting the way the world learns, by providing the next generation learning environment and solutions to engage and inspire learners. And most importantly, by giving customers a platform that is easy, flexible, and smart. No other company provides a solution as robust and innovative as D2L.
D2L has had a singular mission for 20 years and is dedicated to that same mission in the years ahead: to transform the way the world learns – and by doing so, we will help improve human potential globally.
A member of our Talent Acquisition team reviews ALL of our applications - yes a real person reviews resumes! They are excited to read more about what amazing things you could add to D2L.
As a Product Manager, you will be a key contributor to the success of D2L’s emerging product offerings. Your key responsibilities will include owning the successful execution of product strategy for a new product offering, working closely with the design and development team, creating top notch documentation, communicating and iterating on requirements, and ensuring the development milestones are clearly scoped, communicated and delivered.
In addition, you will partner with Sr Director of Product Management to engage with prospects, partners and clients, understand their needs, understand the technical and business constraints of the solution, and come up with creative and actionable ways to provide solutions to those needs.
The selected candidate will have a substantive understand of software development and software architecture concepts, be a creative and strategic thinker, continuous learner, and strong advocate for our clients. The selected candidate will be metric and data driven and have a strong sense of argumentation for specific prioritization of work.
This role will be instrumental in representing the Product Management organization to our clients and prospects, as well as being an important contributor to current and future, strategic product direction.
HOW WILL I MAKE AN IMPACT?
- Work on complex issues where analysis using professional/technical expertise and experience of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors.
- Is responsible for decisions that impact the scheduling, planning and successful completion of project/function deliverables.
- Takes initiative to resolving problems and provides alternative recommendations thinking through all aspects of a solution.
- Exercises judgment in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Act as the ‘evangelist’ of your product features, internally and externally
- Represent the 'voice of our customers' to internal teams
- Develop plans for new features and workflows for D2L based on strategic priorities, industry experience, customer feedback, and marketplace research/trends/analytics.
- Own and define the full product lifecycle as a subject matter expert regarding assigned problems and their resulting solutions
- Manage the priority of features with stakeholders throughout the solution life cycle
- Groom and prioritize a team backlog in collaboration with others
- Work directly with Development Managers and Product Designers, in order to manage multi-project priorities and timelines
- Collaborate with customers and prospects to better understand their challenges
- Collaborate with Engineering and Design to identify feasible solutions with appropriate scoping
- Create the necessary artifacts to communicate requirements, scope, solution proposals and project status effectively
- Manage the impact of scope change and priority with all stakeholders
- Authoring feature-level details in collaboration with development managers and teams
- Collaborate with Engineering and Design to define user stories that fulfill market requirements including detailed and accurate success criteria
- Participate and contribute to team rituals (Sprint Planning, Retros, Sprint Demos, Stand-ups)
- Ensure products are delivered on schedule and with high quality results
- Develop and regularly maintain a data-driven product backlog to deliver on the product vision and roadmap.
- Clearly communicate the larger product vision and specific product requirements across the organization, from senior executives to agile team members
WHAT YOU'LL BRING TO THE ROLE
- 3-5 years of experience in a fast-paced technical environment in the role of Product Manager or Product Owner
- Strong understanding of software development and architecture is a must
- Experience defining and writing business requirements for agile design & development teams, breaking features into meaningful small parts for end-2-end development
- Strong understanding of frontend and backend code dependencies
- Great empathy for prospect and customer pains and problems that can be solved through process and technology
- Experience assessing the scope and effort required to deliver required software solutions
- A strong understanding of current web, data, and cloud technologies
- Ability to actively manage competing priorities and meet deadlines
- Ability to take a leadership role when making data driven decisions
- Individual must be a creative thinker, confident and able to express complex ideas in an articulate, concise manner – especially to senior executives.
- Excellent communicator
- Great PowerPoint and Excel skills to create data-driven stories and win people’s opinions
- Great listening skills, with ability to discern what the clients or prospects say vs what they need, and ability to see the recommendations that can be made to align to the company and product vision
- Experience guiding design teams to match the amount of total investment the company is making into a particular product functionality while still ensuring creative ideas and pathways are considered and explored
- Road mapping software skills are a plus (e.g. Aha!)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Business, Computer Science, Engineering, or related fields of study.
- Certifications from Pragmatic Marketing or similar product management industry certification
- Certificates in Product Management or Product Design, including Coursera
Don’t meet every single requirement? We strongly encourage you to still apply! At D2L, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment. We encourage your application even if you don't believe you meet every single qualification outlined, because we love to help our people grow and develop!
Why we're awesome:
At D2L, we are dedicated to providing you with the tools to do the best work of your life. While some of our perks and benefits may vary depending on location or employment type, we are proud to provide employees with the following through #LifeAtD2L;
- Impactful work transforming the way the world learns
- Flexible work arrangements
- Learning and Growth opportunities
- Tuition reimbursement of up to $4,000 CAD for continuing education through our Catch the Wave Program
- 2 Paid Days off for Catch the Wave related activities like exams or final assignments
- Employee wellbeing (Access to mental health services, EFAP program, financial planning and more)
- Retirement planning
- 2 Paid Volunteer Days
- Competitive Benefits Package
- Home Internet Reimbursements
- Employee Referral Program
- Wellness Reimbursement
- Employee Recognition
- Social Events
- Dog Friendly Offices at our HQ in Kitchener, Winnipeg, Vancouver and Melbourne.