Manager, Software Development
D2L is a cloud company that is modernizing education and building the Future of Work. The old models of teaching and learning are in the midst of the largest transformation in history, and D2L is at the heart of that fundamental shift.
New models of teaching and learning enable a personalized, student-centric experience – and deliver improved retention, engagement, satisfaction, and results for learners of all ages – in schools, campuses, and companies.
D2L is disrupting the way the world learns, by providing the next generation learning environment and solutions to engage and inspire learners. And most importantly, by giving customers a platform that is easy, flexible, and smart. No other company provides a solution as robust and innovative as D2L.
D2L has had a singular mission for 20 years and is dedicated to that same mission in the years ahead: to transform the way the world learns – and by doing so, we will help improve human potential globally.
A member of our Talent Acquisition team reviews ALL of our applications - yes a real person reviews resumes! They are excited to read more about what amazing things you could add to D2L.
The Development Manager is crucial to the success and the productivity of the department. A successful Development Manager ensures teams are working effectively to deliver high quality software at a predictable cadence, while developing the individuals to their full potential.
You are passionate about high performance and put the development of the team above you as an individual.
As you grow in this role, you continue to keep up-to-date and innovate with the latest in web, mobile and software technologies. You continuously learn the best practice to manage teams to high performance. You take pride not just getting things done, but getting them done well.
HOW WILL I MAKE AN IMPACT?
- Build it right. Ensure solutions are built with high quality, using simple clean designs according to sound architectural principles.
- Develop and grow your people. Coach and enable the growth of people on the team.
- Remove road blocks. Support the team by guiding them on overcoming impediments to their success.
- Enable effective process. Act as Scrum Master and/or Agile coach to ensure the team is operating effectively.
- Create reliable plans. Work with the team to estimate work, assess risk and provide effective delivery plans.
- Communicate and collaborate with other teams and roles to ensure alignment and achievement of higher level goals.
- Assess new technologies and determine how to utilize them to improve product lines.
- Drive a culture of high quality and innovation,by collaborating with Architects, Product Managers and your peers.
- Improve how we deliver software. We want people how are driven to improve all of Product Development, beyond just their team.
WHAT IS D2L LOOKING FOR FROM ME?
- 5+ years of relevant work experience.
- Proven experience of successfully managing and leading Agile teams.
- Deep understanding of software engineering best practices.
- Strong knowledge and experience in Agile methodologies.
- Experience managing people to high performance and reaching their potential
- Hands on experience building software.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent experience.
Don’t meet every single requirement? We strongly encourage you to still apply! At D2L, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment. We encourage your application even if you don't believe you meet every single qualification outlined, because we love to help our people grow and develop!
Why we're awesome:
At D2L, we are dedicated to providing you with the tools to do the best work of your life. While some of our perks and benefits may vary depending on location or employment type, we are proud to provide employees with the following through #LifeAtD2L;
- Impactful work transforming the way the world learns
- Flexible work arrangements
- Learning and Growth opportunities
- Tuition reimbursement of up to $4,000 CAD for continuing education through our Catch the Wave Program
- 2 Paid Days off for Catch the Wave related activities like exams or final assignments
- Employee wellbeing (Access to mental health services, EFAP program, financial planning and more)
- Retirement planning
- 2 Paid Volunteer Days
- Competitive Benefits Package
- Home Internet Reimbursements
- Employee Referral Program
- Wellness Reimbursement
- Employee Recognition
- Social Events
- Dog Friendly Offices at our HQ in Kitchener, Winnipeg, Vancouver and Melbourne.