VP, Product Engineering
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2023
Who are we?
We’re a small, diverse team working at the cutting edge of machine learning. At Cohere, our mission is to build machines that understand the world and to make them safely accessible to all. Language is at the crux of this, but it can be difficult and expensive to parse the syntax, semantics, and context that all work together to give words meaning. The Cohere platform provides access to Large Language Models through its APIs that read billions of web pages and learns to understand the meaning, sentiment, and intent of the words we use in a richness never seen before.
We've recently raised our Series C, and we are focused on bringing our technology to market. We will partner with customers so they can build natural language understanding and generation into their products with just a few lines of code.
We’re ambitious — we believe our technology will fundamentally transform how industries interact with natural language. And we have the technical chops to back it up - Cohere’s CEO, Aidan Gomez, is a co-author of the groundbreaking paper “Attention is all you need”, and was previously part of Google Brain. Our entire technical team is world-class.
We are focused on creating a diverse and inclusive work environment so that all of our team members can thrive. We welcome kind and brilliant people to our team, from wherever they come.
Why this role?
- Lead a diverse team of engineers in their effort to create high-performance, secure language models for dev-centric enterprise products.
- Create an efficient and effective organizational structure for the Engineering team.
- Help us scale! Provide vision and direction around code principles, project structuring, best practices, team dynamics, and engineering culture.
As VP, Product Engineering your responsibilities include:
- Delivering large-scale dev-centric enterprise products.
- Aligning our teams around a strong product vision and nurturing a culture of innovation, creativity, and collaboration.
- Helping the team thrive by defining paths for professional development among our Engineers.
- Overseeing and participating in the day-to-day running of our Engineering teams.
- Closely partnering with Product, Design, and ML teams.
- Communicating and presenting plans and updates to senior executives and the wider organization
- You tell us! We need someone who has big ideas, and isn't afraid to rock the boat.
You may be a good fit, if you have:
- 10+ years of Engineering experience in a scaling software company including 5+ years in a senior leadership role.
- A proven track record of effectively leading and delivering a suite of external-facing products from conception to production.
- Experience with large-scale dev-centric enterprise products, Large Language Models, and/or AI products.
- A strong technical background, with experience in a variety of Engineering disciplines.
- Experience building, growing, and empowering both front-end and backend teams.
- A scrappy, startup mentality to move fast, iterate quickly, learn on the go, and take initiative.
- Great communication and interpersonal skills working across different teams, personalities, and working styles.
If some of the above doesn’t line up perfectly with your experience, we still encourage you to apply! If you consider yourself a thoughtful worker, a lifelong learner, and a kind and playful team member, Cohere is the place for you.
We value and celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive work environment for all. We welcome applicants of all kinds and are committed to providing an equal opportunity process. Cohere provides accessibility accommodations during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
🤝 An open and inclusive culture and work environment
🧑💻 Work closely with a team on the cutting edge of AI research
🍽 Free daily lunch
🦷 Full health and dental benefits, including a separate budget to take care of your mental health
🐣 100% Parental Leave top-up for 6 months for employees based in Canada, the US, and the UK
🎨 Personal enrichment benefits towards arts and culture, fitness and well-being, quality time, and workspace improvement
🏙 Remote-flexible, offices in Toronto, Palo Alto, San-Francisco and London and co-working stipend
✈️ 6 weeks of vacation
Note: This post is co-authored by both Cohere humans and Cohere technology.