Sr. Engineering Program Manager
Toronto, ON, Canada · Palo Alto, CA, USA · London, UK · San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2023
Who are we?
We’re a small, diverse team working at the cutting edge of machine learning. At Cohere, our mission is to build machines that understand the world and to make them safely accessible to all. Language is at the crux of this, but it can be difficult and expensive to parse the syntax, semantics, and context that all work together to give words meaning. The Cohere platform provides access to Large Language Models through its APIs that read billions of web pages and learns to understand the meaning, sentiment, and intent of the words we use in a richness never seen before.
We've raised our Series B, signed a multi-year partnership with Google Cloud, and we are focused on bringing our technology to market. We will partner with customers so they can build natural language understanding and generation into their products with just a few lines of code.
We’re ambitious — we believe our technology will fundamentally transform how industries interact with natural language. And we have the technical chops to back it up - Cohere’s CEO, Aidan Gomez, is a co-author of the groundbreaking paper “Attention is all you need”, and was previously part of Google Brain. Our entire technical team is world-class.
We are focused on creating a diverse and inclusive work environment so that all of our team members can thrive. We welcome kind and brilliant people to our team, from wherever they come.
Why this role?
We’re looking for an Engineering Program Manager to join Cohere’s Tech organization. We need someone who will bring curiosity, drive, independence, and leadership to the company. You should have hands-on experience managing projects for consumer software development and machine learning solutions, and building large-scale foundational processes and programs to improve engineering operations.
In return, you will have the unique opportunity and responsibility to design the way that Cohere will operate for years. You’ll get to build relationships with some of the leading AI and NLP minds in the world, collaborate with other Cohere teams like Product, Business, and Marketing, have significant visibility and impact on a fast-growing product, and contribute to the company culture.
This role will start as an individual contributor, but with a rapidly growing product and staff, there will be ample opportunities for both leadership and career growth.
Please Note: We have offices in Toronto, Palo Alto, and London but embrace being remote-first! There are no restrictions on where you can be located for this role.
As an Engineering Program Manager, you will:
- Communicate: Provide clear, timely and objective communication across the tech organization, between Cohere teams, to company leadership, and with external partners & customers. Be the voice of expertise when it comes to operational excellence.
- Optimize: Coordinate ideation-to-action and break down complex issues into strategies to drive engineering alignment with product, business, and marketing, maintaining teamwork and collaboration.
- Plan: Create and manage project schedules with clear dependencies, critical path and systematic methodology. Manage risks and mitigations, and re-plan as events warrant. Drive alignment across the organization and between teams.
- Execute: Drive on-time delivery and deployment, identifying development and feasibility needs, and establishing achievements for checkpoints and status updates.
- Problem solve: Proactively identify issues and solutions, and marshal resources necessary to attack and resolve blockers. Coordinate with teams to identify, track, and prioritize impacts to schedule and product quality, including cross-functional dependencies.
You may be a good fit if you have:
- Have at least three years working as an Engineering or Technical Program or Project Manager in direct partnership with engineers in software or ML-based product development.
- Have owned the delivery of multiple consumer-facing software products requiring large organizations (50+) to execute to a delivery schedule (experience leading and supporting new “0-to-1” initiatives is a plus); startup experience is great, but you should have also spent multiple development cycles on an established product.
- Can give multiple examples demonstrating the project management skills to structure, track and handle several simultaneous fast-paced work streams across cross-functional (engineering, product, business, etc) teams.
- Have designed and rolled out organization or company-level operational programs or processes that measurably improved the customer or employee experience.
- Use data and metrics to extract insights, back up or challenge assumptions, make recommendations, prioritize features, and drive actions.
- Are an expert at communicating concisely and effectively in a variety of ways, and can instill confidence and trust with key partners (e.g. business, product, marketing, designers, OS engineers, ML researchers) with your initiative.
- Are considered self-motivated, resilient, and inspiring with a bias for action; demonstrate creative and critical thinking capabilities; and can quickly (real-time) triage, prioritize, and lead under pressure.
- Have studied Cohere and the NLP product space before you apply and are excited about the application of machine learning to solve language-specific consumer challenges (experience with NLP is a huge plus).
If some of the above doesn’t line up perfectly with your experience, we still encourage you to apply! If you consider yourself a thoughtful worker, a lifelong learner, and a kind and playful team member, Cohere is the place for you.
We value and celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive work environment for all. We welcome applicants of all kinds and are committed to providing an equal opportunity process. Cohere provides accessibility accommodations during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
🤝 An open and inclusive culture and work environment
🧑💻 Work closely with a team on the cutting edge of AI research
🍽 Free daily lunch
🦷 Full health and dental benefits, including a separate budget to take care of your mental health
🐣 100% Parental Leave top-up for 6 months for employees based in Canada, the US, and the UK
🎨 Personal enrichment benefits towards arts and culture, fitness and well-being, quality time, and workspace improvement
🏙 Remote-flexible, offices in Toronto, Palo Alto, and London and coworking stipend
✈️ 6 weeks of vacation
See more open positions at Cohere
Something looks off?