Engineering Program Manager Intern (Summer 2024)
Posted on Thursday, February 1, 2024
Who are we?
Cohere is focused on building and deploying large language model (LLM) AI into enterprises in a safe and responsible way that drives human productivity, and creates magical new ways to interact with technology and real business value. We’re a team of highly motivated and experienced engineers, innovators, and disruptors looking to change the face of technology.
Our goals are ambitious, but also concrete and practical. Cohere wants to fundamentally change how businesses operate, making everyone more productive and able to focus on doing better what they do best. Every day, our team breaks new ground, as we build transformational AI technology and products for enterprise and developers to harness the power of LLMs.
Cohere was founded by three global leaders in AI development, including our CEO, Aidan Gomez, who co-created the Transformer, which makes LLMs possible. Collectively, we're driven by the belief that our technology has the potential to revolutionize the way enterprises, their employees, and customers engage with technology through language.
Cohere’s broader research team is world-renowned, having contributed to the development of sentence transformers for semantic search, dynamic adversarial data collection and red teaming, and retrieval augmented generation, often referred to as “RAG,” among other technological breakthroughs.
We have been deliberate in assembling a team of operational leaders with industry-leading experience, with backgrounds working at the most sophisticated, demanding, and respected enterprises in the world. Cohere’s operational leaders have built, scaled, and led multi-billion product lines and businesses at Google, Apple, Rakuten, YouTube, AWS, and Cisco.
The Cohere team is a collective from all walks of life, from people who left college to start businesses, to some of the most experienced people from globally renowned companies. We believe a diverse team is the key to a safer, more responsible technology, and that different experiences and backgrounds enable us to tackle problems from all angles and avoid blindspots.
There’s no better time to play a role in defining the future of AI, and its impact on the world.
Why this role?
Engineering Program Managers at Cohere are seen as an operational experts, specializing in driving impactful, cross-functional efforts and managing the life cycle of critical projects. An EPM internship will challenge you in those same areas. Whilst the role is still relatively new, the EPM team already has a battle-tested reputation of adding significant value. Interns with the EPM title will be expected to learn how to show up like an owner to strategically plan ahead, and constantly go “hands-on” to tactically execute.
EPM intern candidates will be successful at Cohere if they not only survive, but thrive in an environment containing a high level of change and ambiguity. Natural skills in developing relationships with smart and stubborn people, creative lateral thinking skills in new situations, and proven organizational abilities across a tangle of work streams are critical for an EPM intern to build trust, solve problems, and add value during their time at Cohere.
EPM interns with these skills will be uniquely rewarded at Cohere. They will build strong 1:1 partnerships with the best people in the AI industry. They will immediately have leadership opportunities across Cohere, with company-level visibility and impact. At this stage in the company where we’re helping to define the industry but have significant customers, the EPM skills they develop will have an incredible multiplier effect on success; you can essentially change things as fast as you can execute on them.
EPM interns will be exposed to and get to learn amazing new things. LLMs are one of the most important technologies of our generation, and EPM interns will be deeply immersed in the area alongside executive, research, development, marketing, and sales teams in contexts and scenarios they wouldn’t get in any other internship. One minute they might be taking notes in a XF meeting you’re running with a key Cohere customer, the next minute they might be DMing our CEO with an ask from their teams.
Please Note: To be eligible for this position, you should be currently enrolled in a post-secondary program and available for a full-time 3-6 month internship, co-op, or research work term (May - August). We have offices in Toronto, Palo Alto, and London but embrace being remote-first! There are no restrictions on where you can be located for this role.
As an EPM intern you will:
- Learn how to break down complex and ambiguous issues into strategies to drive engineering effort forward and creatively attack and resolve blocking issues, gaining greater autonomy in approaching projects.
- Work to troubleshoot cross-team challenges and build dependable partnerships both within ML & engineering and with other departments like product, business, and marketing.
- Figure out how to own and enable a useful communication flow of priorities, ideas, and knowledge throughout all layers of the tech organization.
- Help ensure that your program & projects are represented to key stakeholders, ranging from other Cohere teams, to company leadership, and with external partners & customers.
- Gain product and technical context of your programs, such that you can independently interface with all program stakeholders.
- Respond quickly and proactively to program-level changes, clarifying new scope and marshaling resources in response to evolving priorities.
- Project positivity, calm, and competency in all your interactions.
You may be a good fit if you:
- Are pursuing education in Business, Communications or Computer Science.
- Have fundamental knowledge of how machine learning works, and basic knowledge of NLP and Large Language Models (LLM)
- Have personal hands-on understanding of the unique challenges of managing school or internship projects and programs in the AI/ML space.
- Have the capacity for critical self-reflection, a thorough understanding of your own strengths and weakness, and the desire to improve your professional capabilities over time.
- Are able to proactively problem-solve and manage multiple priorities.
If some of the above doesn’t line up perfectly with your experience, we still encourage you to apply! If you consider yourself a thoughtful worker, a lifelong learner, and a kind and playful team member, Cohere is the place for you.
We value and celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive work environment for all. We welcome applicants of all kinds and are committed to providing an equal opportunity process. Cohere provides accessibility accommodations during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
🤝 An open and inclusive culture and work environment
🧑💻 Work closely with a team on the cutting edge of AI research
🍽 Free daily lunch
🦷 Full health and dental benefits, including a separate budget to take care of your mental health
🎨 Personal enrichment benefits towards arts and culture, fitness and well-being
🏙 Remote-flexible, offices in Toronto, Palo Alto, and London and coworking stipend
✈️ Paid vacation