Engineering Program Manager, Security
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2024
Who are we?
Cohere is focused on building and deploying large language model (LLM) AI into enterprises in a safe and responsible way that drives human productivity, and creates magical new ways to interact with technology and real business value. We’re a team of highly motivated and experienced engineers, innovators, and disruptors looking to change the face of technology.
Our goals are ambitious, but also concrete and practical. Cohere wants to fundamentally change how businesses operate, making everyone more productive and able to focus on doing better what they do best. Every day, our team breaks new ground, as we build transformational AI technology and products for enterprise and developers to harness the power of LLMs.
Cohere was founded by three global leaders in AI development, including our CEO, Aidan Gomez, who co-created the Transformer, which makes LLMs possible. Collectively, we're driven by the belief that our technology has the potential to revolutionize the way enterprises, their employees, and customers engage with technology through language.
Cohere’s broader research team is world-renowned, having contributed to the development of sentence transformers for semantic search, dynamic adversarial data collection and red teaming, and retrieval augmented generation, often referred to as “RAG,” among other technological breakthroughs.
We have been deliberate in assembling a team of operational leaders with industry-leading experience, with backgrounds working at the most sophisticated, demanding, and respected enterprises in the world. Cohere’s operational leaders have built, scaled, and led multi-billion product lines and businesses at Google, Apple, Rakuten, YouTube, AWS, and Cisco.
The Cohere team is a collective from all walks of life, from people who left college to start businesses, to some of the most experienced people from globally renowned companies. We believe a diverse team is the key to a safer, more responsible technology, and that different experiences and backgrounds enable us to tackle problems from all angles and avoid blindspots.
There’s no better time to play a role in defining the future of AI, and its impact on the world.
Why this role?
In this Engineering Program Manager role, you will partner with Cohere’s Security organization to support the management and mitigation of risks, maintain secure infrastructure to prevent major security incidents, and collaborate with customers to ensure safe and secure deployment of LLMs.
We are looking for capable and independent operators with hands-on experience managing security programs, particularly around vulnerability management and secOps.
You will work at the intersection of modeling, technology and customers, helping Cohere safely and securely push the boundaries of generative AI capabilities.
Please Note: We have offices in Toronto, New York, London and San Francisco, but embrace being remote-first.
- Own internal and external communications for the security program portfolio
- Triage and manage the resolution of inbound customer security requests, including contract reviews and security checklists
- Coordinate execution of security requirements for integrations with cloud partners (AWS, Oracle, Azure, etc), including IAM policies and access controls.
- Align and execute security reviews for third-party software integrations
- Work across teams to prioritize and address vulnerabilities and compliance requirements
- Interface with Cohere’s Safety teams to support joint initiatives
- Orchestrate quarterly planning processes for the security organization to establish an ambitious but sustainable roadmap cadence
- Understand the product and technical context of your programs, such that you can independently interface with all program stakeholders
- Respond quickly to program-level changes, clarifying new scope and marshaling resources in response to evolving priorities
- Project positivity, calm and competency in all your work
You may be a good fit if you have:
- 3-5 years managing security programs at scale, particularly with experience in vulnerability management and secOps
- 2+ years hands-on experience with cloud infrastructure applications (AWS, OCI, Azure, etc.), particularly in the realm of IAM policies and identity management
- A proven track record of shipping security programs end-to-end, and a deep knowledge of modern security best practices
- A practice of clear and concise written and verbal communication, and strong facilitation skills to level the communication playing field among team members
- A “methodology agnostic” approach to leading teams and programs - you are familiar with, but not tied to any given framework (i.e. Scrum, Kanban, SAFe, etc)
- Familiarity with the security landscape of LLMs in the current generative AI market
- A flexible and curious mindset, ready to pivot and delve into different areas of Cohere’s stack as your portfolio grows and evolves
- The capacity for critical self-reflection, a thorough understanding of your own strengths and weakness, and the desire to improve your professional capabilities over time
If some of the above doesn’t line up perfectly with your experience, we still encourage you to apply! If you consider yourself a thoughtful worker, a lifelong learner, and a kind and playful team member, Cohere is the place for you.
We value and celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive work environment for all. We welcome applicants of all kinds and are committed to providing an equal opportunity process. Cohere provides accessibility accommodations during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
🤝 An open and inclusive culture and work environment
🧑💻 Work closely with a team on the cutting edge of AI research
🍽 Weekly lunch stipend, in-office lunches & snacks
🦷 Full health and dental benefits, including a separate budget to take care of your mental health
🐣 100% Parental Leave top-up for 6 months for employees based in Canada, the US, and the UK
🎨 Personal enrichment benefits towards arts and culture, fitness and well-being, quality time, and workspace improvement
🏙 Remote-flexible, offices in Toronto, Palo Alto, San-Francisco and London and co-working stipend
✈️ 6 weeks of vacation
Note: This post is co-authored by both Cohere humans and Cohere technology.