Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2024
Who are we?
Cohere is focused on building and deploying large language model (LLM) AI into enterprises in a safe and responsible way that drives human productivity, and creates magical new ways to interact with technology and real business value. We’re a team of highly motivated and experienced engineers, innovators, and disruptors looking to change the face of technology.
Our goals are ambitious, but also concrete and practical. Cohere wants to fundamentally change how businesses operate, making everyone more productive and able to focus on doing better what they do best. Every day, our team breaks new ground, as we build transformational AI technology and products for enterprise and developers to harness the power of LLMs.
Cohere was founded by three global leaders in AI development, including our CEO, Aidan Gomez, who co-created the Transformer, which makes LLMs possible. Collectively, we're driven by the belief that our technology has the potential to revolutionize the way enterprises, their employees, and customers engage with technology through language.
Cohere’s broader research team is world-renowned, having contributed to the development of sentence transformers for semantic search, dynamic adversarial data collection and red teaming, and retrieval augmented generation, often referred to as “RAG,” among other technological breakthroughs.
We have been deliberate in assembling a team of operational leaders with industry-leading experience, with backgrounds working at the most sophisticated, demanding, and respected enterprises in the world. Cohere’s operational leaders have built, scaled, and led multi-billion product lines and businesses at Google, Apple, Rakuten, YouTube, AWS, and Cisco.
The Cohere team is a collective from all walks of life, from people who left college to start businesses, to some of the most experienced people from globally renowned companies. We believe a diverse team is the key to a safer, more responsible technology, and that different experiences and backgrounds enable us to tackle problems from all angles and avoid blindspots.
There’s no better time to play a role in defining the future of AI, and its impact on the world.
Why this role?
The legal team at Cohere is dynamic, fast-paced and cross-functional, supporting all areas of the organization by providing timely, professional and actionable legal advice and support. The ideal candidate is analytical, collaborative, driven and has a passion for new and evolving challenges with scaling and managing a rapidly growing diverse and global organization.
As Employment Counsel, you will:
- Support Cohere’s global People Ops and Talent teams with all employment and talent matters, including onboarding and offboarding of employees and service providers.
- Draft, review and negotiate employment and contractor agreements, including compensation or separation packages.
- Work closely with Cohere’s internal stakeholders and external partners to support Cohere’s global practices and procedures, including issues pertaining to investigations or policy enforcement, business immigration, visa applications, remote work and employee transfers or transitions.
- With the Director of Legal, manage and support compensation practices and procedures, including managing all matters pertaining to equity compensation.
- Interact with Cohere’s internal and external legal advisors to inform and educate the organization on new and evolving legal issues.
- Review and update company policies to reflect changes in the law or business practices.
- Develop and maintain legal processes and procedures to support EDI initiatives, investigations, transparent HR practices and workplace initiatives.
You may be a good fit for this career opportunity if:
- You have a minimum of 3+ years in private practice or in-house at a fast-growing company, working on complex employment and equity compensation matters. Experience working in or for a venture-backed company will be considered a strong asset.
- You must have experience managing the administration of/issues related to corporate equity (stock option/RSU) programs.
- You have experience navigating complex employment and compensation issues.
- You have experience with fast scaling technology companies, start-ups, and global employment issues related thereto.
- You are excited to help build out Cohere’s employment functions and processes, collaborate with other parts of the organization and are comfortable with the fast-paced and evolving nature of technology companies.
- You are a strong communicator (both written and oral), collaborator, and team player
If some of the above doesn’t line up perfectly with your experience, we still encourage you to apply! If you consider yourself a thoughtful worker, a lifelong learner, and a kind and playful team member, Cohere is the place for you.
We value and celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive work environment for all. We welcome applicants of all kinds and are committed to providing an equal opportunity process. Cohere provides accessibility accommodations during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
🤝 An open and inclusive culture and work environment
🧑💻 Work closely with a team on the cutting edge of AI research
🍽 Weekly lunch stipend, in-office lunches & snacks
🦷 Full health and dental benefits, including a separate budget to take care of your mental health
🐣 100% Parental Leave top-up for 6 months for employees based in Canada, the US, and the UK
🎨 Personal enrichment benefits towards arts and culture, fitness and well-being, quality time, and workspace improvement
🏙 Remote-flexible, offices in Toronto, Palo Alto, San-Francisco and London and co-working stipend
✈️ 6 weeks of vacation
Note: This post is co-authored by both Cohere humans and Cohere technology.