Associate, Strategy and Business Operations
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2023
Who are we?
Cohere is focused on building and deploying large language model (LLM) AI into enterprises in a safe and responsible way that drives human productivity, and creates magical new ways to interact with technology and real business value. We’re a team of highly motivated and experienced engineers, innovators, and disruptors looking to change the face of technology.
Our goals are ambitious, but also concrete and practical. Cohere wants to fundamentally change how businesses operate, making everyone more productive and able to focus on doing better what they do best. Every day, our team breaks new ground, as we build transformational AI technology and products for enterprise and developers to harness the power of LLMs.
Cohere was founded by three global leaders in AI development, including our CEO, Aidan Gomez, who co-created the Transformer, which makes LLMs possible. Collectively, we're driven by the belief that our technology has the potential to revolutionize the way enterprises, their employees, and customers engage with technology through language.
Cohere’s broader research team is world-renowned, having contributed to the development of sentence transformers for semantic search, dynamic adversarial data collection and red teaming, and retrieval augmented generation, often referred to as “RAG,” among other technological breakthroughs.
We have been deliberate in assembling a team of operational leaders with industry-leading experience, with backgrounds working at the most sophisticated, demanding, and respected enterprises in the world. Cohere’s operational leaders have built, scaled, and led multi-billion product lines and businesses at Google, Apple, Rakuten, YouTube, AWS, and Cisco.
The Cohere team is a collective from all walks of life, from people who left college to start businesses, to some of the most experienced people from globally renowned companies. We believe a diverse team is the key to a safer, more responsible technology, and that different experiences and backgrounds enable us to tackle problems from all angles and avoid blindspots.
There’s no better time to play a role in defining the future of AI, and its impact on the world.
Why this role?
The Strategy and Business Operations team’s mission is to support decision making on critical C-level topics and act as a force-multiplier for functional priorities across the organization. We partner with leaders in a strategic or operational capacity, and our work spans office-of-COO central decision support to embedded functional projects.
You will enjoy this individual contributor role if you have 3 years of work experience and:
- Thrive in fast-paced environments requiring balancing across multiple competing priorities
- Are curious and consider yourself a life-long learner
- Are an excellent communicator, and can collaborate effectively and transparently
- Can think in both long- and short-term timescales
- Comfortable operating in-the-weeds (eg pulling insights from data, topic deep dives) and at the big-picture level to develop and communicate recommendations to leadership
In this Associate level role you will:
- Influence strategic decision-making by collaborating with and building consensus among leaders across the organization, including product, GTM, and research and engineering
- Analyze the company's unit economics to identify areas of improvement, key trends and opportunities for growth by exploring new markets, launching new products, or implementing new strategies
- Build financial and investment valuation models to evaluate new and existing opportunities
- Conduct market and competitive analysis to anticipate and respond to emerging trends, and to identify new opportunities for innovation and growth
- Optimize product tiering and pricing, ensuring that the company's offerings are both attractive to customers and profitable
- Surface relevant data and insights to arm leadership with necessary information for decision-making (reporting, dashboarding)
The Associate, Strategy and Business Operations role is a good match for you if you have:
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field, or equivalent practical experience
- 3 years of experience in management consulting, investment banking, investing role, or equivalent practical experience
- Financial modeling and analytical skills
- Clear communication, high-ownership mentality and bias to action
- Prior experience in a high-growth startup or previous knowledge/interest in the AI space is a plus, not an expectation
If some of the above doesn’t line up perfectly with your experience, we still encourage you to apply! If you consider yourself a thoughtful worker, a lifelong learner, and a kind and playful team member, Cohere is the place for you.
We value and celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive work environment for all. We welcome applicants of all kinds and are committed to providing an equal opportunity process. Cohere provides accessibility accommodations during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
🤝 An open and inclusive culture and work environment
🧑💻 Work closely with a team on the cutting edge of AI research
🍽 Weekly lunch stipend, in-office lunches & snacks
🦷 Full health and dental benefits, including a separate budget to take care of your mental health
🐣 100% Parental Leave top-up for 6 months for employees based in Canada, the US, and the UK
🎨 Personal enrichment benefits towards arts and culture, fitness and well-being, quality time, and workspace improvement
🏙 Remote-flexible, offices in Toronto, Palo Alto, San-Francisco and London and co-working stipend
✈️ 6 weeks of vacation
Note: This post is co-authored by both Cohere humans and Cohere technology.