Member of Technical Staff, Search
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2023
Who are we?
Our mission is to scale intelligence to serve humanity. We’re training and deploying frontier models for developers and enterprises who are building AI systems to power magical experiences like semantic search, RAG, and agents. We believe that our work is instrumental to the widespread adoption of AI.
We obsess over what we build. Each one of us is responsible for contributing to increasing the capabilities of our models and the value they drive for our customers. We like to work hard and move fast to do what’s best for our customers.
Cohere is a team of researchers, engineers, designers, and more, who are passionate about their craft. Each person is the one of the best in the world at what they do. We believe that a diverse range of perspectives is a requirement for building great products.
Join us on our mission and shape the future!
Why this role?
We are looking for talented individuals to help us develop state-of-the-art models for information retrieval as part of our Search team. This group is working on a range of tasks including generating useful dense vectors and reranking. You'll have the opportunity to revolutionise people's search experience by contributing to building an efficient and precise search system and you would have a lot of opportunity to try new things out, innovate, and productionize your ideas.
Your work will specifically focus on advancing semantic search techniques to improve accuracy and efficiency, involving working with a wide range of technologies and collaborating with other teams to integrate your work into our search infrastructure.
We're looking for someone who is passionate about search and has a strong background in information retrieval. Candidates should have experience working with a wide range of technologies and have worked collaboratively with other teams in the past.
Please note: we have offices in Toronto, Palo Alto, San Francisco, and London but embrace being a remote-first company! There are no restrictions on where can you be located for this role.
As a Member of Technical Staff on this team, you will:
- Design, train and improve upon cutting-edge search models.
- Gather high-quality retrieval datasets and optimize data pipelines for model training and evaluation.
- Work closely with model serving team to ensure that inference is fast and stable.
- Collaborate with product teams to develop solutions.
- Engage in research collaborations with our partner organizations and academic affiliations and publish your work in top-tier conferences and journals.
- Join us at a pivotal moment, shape what we build, have a strong ownership mindset, and wear multiple hats!
You may be a good fit if you have:
- Proficiency in Python and related ML frameworks such as PyTorch, Tensorflow, TF-Serving, JAX, and XLA/MLIR.
- Experience training representation models, or using text embeddings in downstream tasks.
- Familiarity with various information retrieval techniques, such as lexical search and dense vector search.
- Familiarity with autoregressive sequence models, such as Transformers.
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency in other programming languages, such as C++ or Golang.
- Experience using large-scale distributed training strategies with GPUs.
Bonus points for:
* This is neither an exhaustive nor necessary set of attributes. Even if none of these apply to you, but you believe you will contribute to Cohere, please reach out. We have a wide variety of backgrounds at Cohere.
If some of the above doesn’t line up perfectly with your experience, we still encourage you to apply! If you consider yourself a thoughtful worker, a lifelong learner, and a kind and playful team member, Cohere is the place for you.
We value and celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive work environment for all. We welcome applicants of all kinds and are committed to providing an equal opportunity process. Cohere provides accessibility accommodations during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
🤝 An open and inclusive culture and work environment
🧑💻 Work closely with a team on the cutting edge of AI research
🍽 Weekly lunch stipend, in-office lunches & snacks
🦷 Full health and dental benefits, including a separate budget to take care of your mental health
🐣 100% Parental Leave top-up for 6 months for employees based in Canada, the US, and the UK
🎨 Personal enrichment benefits towards arts and culture, fitness and well-being, quality time, and workspace improvement
🏙 Remote-flexible, offices in Toronto, Palo Alto, San-Francisco and London and co-working stipend
✈️ 6 weeks of vacation
Note: This post is co-authored by both Cohere humans and Cohere technology.