Senior Database Administrator
Join the adventure and innovate with a talented team that’s pushing the capabilities of experience management! Empower thousands of tour and activity operators.
One of Canada’s top SaaS growth companies located on beautiful Vancouver Island. As the industry's leading independent booking software, we have customers who run businesses in fascinating destinations all over the world. We have over 5,000 businesses using our platform and have processed over $8.1B in bookings to date, operating in 136 countries and 36 languages.
About the Job
We are seeking an experienced Senior Database Administrator to join our team. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience managing and maintaining databases, ensuring their performance, security, and availability. This role will play a crucial part in optimizing our database strategies, implementing best practices, and leading initiatives to scale and support our growing company's data and infrastructure needs.
Please note the preferred location for this role is Victoria, BC, but we are open to hiring remotely within British Columbia.
Some tasks you’ll be taking on
- Oversee the development and maintenance of the organization’s database environment to ensure performance, availability, and security.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams and stakeholders to design and maintain scalable, performant database solutions.
- Provide governance across our organization’s database architecture.
- Review and evaluate existing systems and queries to identify areas for improvement.
- Monitor performance metrics and make recommendations for improving scalability and performance.
- Actively participate in code reviews related to data, providing constructive feedback and guidance to team members.
- Mentor and develop other team members by sharing your knowledge and expertise, fostering a culture of continuous learning and improvement.
- Stay current on industry trends and emerging technologies, ensuring our data solutions remain competitive and innovative.
- Create and maintain clear documentation on our systems, architecture, and processes.
- Ensure compliance with architecture decisions and design principles.
Ideally, you should have
- 5+ years of experience as a database administrator
- Strong expertise in SQL and database performance tuning, preferably with PostgresSQL
- Strong knowledge of database backup and recovery practices
- Familiarity with the principles of database design
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience mentoring other developers
- You thrive in team environments
- You are a lifelong learner
Bonus points for
- Experience with e-commerce systems or online bookings
- Familiarity with cloud services and architecture, such as GCP
If you don’t meet all of our requirements exactly or have some gaps in your resume know that we would still love to hear from you! Use your cover letter to tell us about your unique experience - we understand that talent comes from many places and that skills are transferable.
- A company that values work-life balance
- Vacation, personal days, health days, paid volunteer day
- Extended health benefits and EAP program
- Parental benefits
- Professional development allowance
- Mentorship program
- A newly renovated (as of May 2020) “tourism themed” office space in downtown Victoria (unless you’re remote)
Checkfront acknowledges and respects that we work, learn, and innovate on the unceded Coast Salish Territory of the Lekwungen & WSÁNEĆ nations.
Life at Checkfront
At Checkfront, people empower others by providing opportunities for growth and learning, fostering teamwork and encouraging ideas. We support the wellbeing of our employees and dedicate our overall efforts toward a positive employee experience.
We value psychological safety and transparency across all levels of the organization, and as a result, there is a tremendous sense of camaraderie and support felt throughout the company. Everyone is caring about teammates and passionate about their work.
We are committed to upholding the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion. In pursuit of this, we actively seek new members who will work respectfully and constructively with our team, propelling our company and the community forward.
There are also fun events throughout the year; skiing, cabin getaways, fireside chats, holiday parties, and more! Do you prefer a flexible work location? That’s great! Whether you are at home or in-office, we aim to provide an inclusive environment.