Chief of Staff
People & HR, Operations
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Friday, February 9, 2024
Hello, I'm Maximilian Birner, Co-Founder & CEO at Boxhub. As we’re currently in hyper-growth mode and ramping up to a Series B fundraise, I’m seeking a Chief of Staff to become my close advisor and trusted partner at Boxhub. This is a unique opportunity to gain access and influence strategic decision-making at the Founder/CEO level. It also presents a distinctive chance to participate in a significant fundraise for the company and learn from cross-functional senior leadership, board members, and other shareholders.
Shipping containers transport 90-95% of the world’s goods. Without them, the global supply chain would grind to a halt. Our reliance on them is incredible — but the way they’re traded isn’t.
At Boxhub, we’re on a mission to make shipping container trade easy and efficient for everyone. We believe greater access to retired shipping containers can help people live smarter, entrepreneurs create quicker, and businesses grow faster. By extending the life of shipping containers and reducing the carbon-heavy practice of empty repositioning, our vision is to build a more sustainable world — one container at a time.
Boxhub is well funded by some of the most successful investors in the tech industry, founded by long-term shipping industry experts, and led by award-winning entrepreneurs. We recently closed a Series A and are looking for new team members who are as passionate as we are about changing the shipping industry.
- Collaborating with the CEO to define and execute strategic priorities, ensuring alignment with the company's vision and goals.
- Working closely with the CEO to secure Series B funding, including fundraising strategy, investor outreach, due diligence, and support in pitching and negotiations.
- Preparing for board, shareholder, and investor communications & meetings, crafting compelling presentations, reports, and updates that effectively convey complex information in a clear and captivating manner.
- Conducting in-depth research, gathering data, and creating financial models to support strategic decision-making.
- Offering feedback and insights on business complexities, market trends, and competitive landscapes, helping the CEO navigate risks, seize opportunities, and make informed choices.
- Leading functional head & team meetings, ensuring a seamless flow from agenda creation to post-meeting action item follow-ups.
- Driving special projects, ensuring they not only meet but exceed strategic objectives and deadlines.
- Providing first response to critical issues, prioritizing business needs and solving challenges with a creative and solutions-focused mindset.
- Representing and joining the CEO in meetings with partners, customers, and investors, managing the flow of information and ensuring an impactful exchange.
- Overseeing the OKR process, setting, tracking, and reporting on progress toward key objectives and results throughout the entire organization.
What You Bring to the Table
- You're an experienced strategy consultant; you've been at a tier 1 consultancy, and ideally, you've had experience in a hyper-growth startup environment.
- You are an excellent communicator who can speak with concision and compellingly articulate complex ideas and narratives.
- You have a high level of project management discipline and the ability to flex those skills through levels of ambiguity. You can pivot and follow up effectively to get the right results.
- You're business savvy, including understanding the marketplace, competitors, and technology and what is required for sustained operating results.
- You're a relationship builder who can influence and enact change to align stakeholders with company goals.
- You can demonstrate where you've excelled in operational excellence and removed challenges to deliver high impact.
- You understand startups, how they work, and the challenges they face.
- You possess robust data analysis capabilities and the ability to construct financial models with a proven track record of leveraging data to drive business impact.
The Interview Process
- 1: 30-minute Phone Interview with Emma Hunt (Head of People and Culture)
- 2: An exercise to understand your approach to critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- 3: 60-minute Interview with key members of our leadership team
- 4. A final interview with Max Birner (CEO)
- 5: Reference Check & Offer 🥳
What Boxhub Offers
- Highly competitive salary depending on experience
- Stock Options
- Fantastic opportunity to help build and grow with a funded company at an early stage
- 4 weeks of annual vacation
- Comprehensive healthcare benefits plan, including dental & vision & spending account you get access to on day 1
- Free access to Maple and Headspace apps
- Learning and development budget to support your professional growth
- A monthly transportation allowance
- Flexible working hours in a hybrid environment - we work remotely 2 days a week
- Join a multicultural team that has built successful startups around the world
Boxhub’s Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
At Boxhub, we believe diversity and representation are key to creating an exciting product and an amazing customer and employee experience. We strongly encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran status or any other aspect that makes you, you.
Boxhub’s commitment to accessibility
Boxhub is committed to developing an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment process and work environment. Please inform us if you require any accommodation, and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any accessibility-related assistance, requests for information in accessible alternative formats, or to report any accessibility problems, don't hesitate to get in touch with us at email@example.com