Remote · Canada
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2023
Who we are:
BlueDot protects people around the world from infectious diseases using human and artificial intelligence. Our AI-powered platform combines human expertise with advanced data analytics to track, contextualize, and mitigate infectious disease risks. Our global disease surveillance engine delivers critical early warning and insights on emerging and existing infectious diseases risks — earning us a Governor’s General Innovation award in 2018.
In December 2019, we flagged an undiagnosed respiratory syndrome in Wuhan, China. In January 2020, we published one of the world's first scientific paper on COVID-19, accurately predicting its global spread. Today, the need to better protect lives and livelihoods from infectious diseases is equally urgent for private sector leaders as it is for public officials. Our team understands the complexity of the challenge in front of us – and that the importance of solving the problem has never been greater. At BlueDot, you’ll have the opportunity to help grow a solution to global scale.
We are a Certified B Corp, Diversio certified, and previously recognized as a Best Workplace for Technology, Women and for Giving Back by Great Place to Work. In 2023, BlueDot ranked no. 25 on Globe & Mail's Top Growing Companies and as one of Canada's most impactful companies by Power 50.
Our values are not just words on a wall. They are our compass, and they guide us in our work, in the decisions we make, and in how we treat each other:
- Be the Change
- Think Without Borders
- Lift Others Up
BlueDot continues to grow! Our technology team is looking to add an individual who is talented and passionate about building technology solutions that can be applied to our early warning system for infectious diseases. You'll be part of a dynamic team that encourages innovation and creativity, working with cutting-edge AI-driven technology solutions.
As a Software Developer, you have a solid development background and extensive experience building backend platform infrastructure. You thrive when collaborating with a team so that quality is built into modern advanced cloud-based software systems. Your curiosity leads you to innovative solutions that deliver feedback on our data and applications.
What you will do in more detail:
- Implement and maintain reliable software solutions that have unit tests, functional tests, and integration tests
- Collaborate with technology teams to deliver high-quality, incremental development outcomes that provide an elegant, seamless and reliable experience for our customers
- Consider cybersecurity, data integrity and data privacy as part of quality
- Participate in team meetings to estimate tasks, plan future work, provide status updates and discuss process improvements
- Consider maintainability of software solutions, such as readable code that follows language and framework conventions and documentation
- Learn how to best collaborate with related roles, such as UX designers, product managers, data systems developers, site reliability developers, QA developers and data scientists
- Recognize the importance of being mentored across software stacks, testing methodologies and operational capabilities such as observability and monitoring
What you bring to BlueDot:
- Degree or diploma in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of backend software and platform development experience
- Knowledge and experience of programming languages and frameworks, including Python and C#
- Some knowledge and experience with Azure cloud technologies
- A keen interest to contribute to operationalized ML models and engaging in development supported AI technologies
- Knowledge and experience creating automated tests for modern cloud-based systems
- Understanding of software development life cycle and agile methodologies
- Knowledge of relational and non-relational databases (e.g. MS SQL, MongoDB), ETL pipelines and cloud native storage products
- High-level problem-solving skills
- Ability to speak to examples of a personal growth and skills development mindset
- A positive, professional attitude and customer service orientation
- Great communication, collaboration, and presentation skills
What we offer our team:
- Meaningful work that truly has purpose
- A competitive comprehensive compensation package
- A lucrative ESOP package to provide ownership to all employees
- Outstanding health, vision and dental benefits
- Employee and Family Assistance Plan
- Annual generous Lifestyle Spending Account
- Generous vacation packages and PTO
- As a smaller, agile team, we offer roles with impact
- Your contributions are integral, your voice will be heard
BlueDot is a remote-first culture that also provides a flexible, hybrid office space in downtown Toronto on the waterfront. As our teams reside across Canada, we do not have set mandatory in-house working hours/days; instead, we encourage everyone to work the way that suits them best! Occasionally BlueDot will host special events/workshops in the office and will support distance travel so all can join.
Together let's create a healthier, safer, and more prosperous world.
For more information, visit us at: http://bluedot.global.
BlueDot recognizes that challenges remain in achieving the full participation of equity-seeking groups (including women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minority/racialized groups, and members of LGBTQI2S) in tech careers and is committed to identifying and eliminating barriers that may exist within its own hiring process, programs, and practices.
BlueDot is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please let us know how we can best meet your needs and advise us of any accommodations required to ensure fair and equitable access throughout the recruitment and selection process.
We thank and appreciate all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please no agency calls.