Software Engineer, Site Reliability (Senior or Staff)
Remote · United States · Canada
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2023
At BioRender, our mission is to accelerate the world’s ability to learn, discover and communicate science. We are passionate about democratizing science communication in order to accelerate scientific discovery and understanding. We're looking for amazing people to help create the world’s go-to-place and platform where science is communicated. Come join us!
As our Sr/Staff SRE in the Platform Engineering team, you'll get in on the ground floor and play a pivotal role in developing and shaping a resilient, high-performant, and secure platform for BioRender's engineering prowess. Aligned with our company mission to accelerate the world’s ability to learn, discover, and communicate science, your objective is to design, implement, and maintain robust, scalable, and fault-tolerant systemsthat our customers rely on. Harnessing the power of automation, CI/CD, and Infrastructure as Code, you'll seamlessly integrate and deploy our applications into the cloud while establishing observability enhanced with actionable alerts and automation to detect performance bottlenecks. You'll adeptly address production issues, promptly restore services, and lead post-mortems to continually enhance our engineering excellence, thereby fulfilling our company's vision to be the go-to trusted place where science is communicated.
Our ideal fit:
- You have experience working in a fast-paced, competitive environment and have a deep desire to work collaboratively, solve problems, and find win/win solutions.
- You are passionate about architecting and building scalable platform solutions.
- You are a results-oriented individual who takes initiative and has a strong bias for action.
- You’re a creative thinker who finds efficient and simple solutions and evangelizes best practices.
- You have effective communication skills, a sense of ownership and drive to consistently improve yourself and others.
- You’re a selfless team player who sees the big picture and puts common goals at the forefront of solutioning and decision-making.
What you'll be doing:
- Elevate and Innovate: Enhance platform resilience by constantly seeking ways to improve the reliability, scalability and release efficiency of the platform
- Develop Robust Observability and Monitoring Solutions: Define, build, deploy, maintain, and extend advanced observability and monitoring tools to bolster system reliability and availability.
- Define and Monitor Performance Metrics: Play a key role in formulating and tracking Service Level Indicators (SLIs) and Service Level Objectives (SLOs) to establish precise benchmarks for system performance.
- Solve Complex Issues and Conduct Root Cause Analysis: Swiftly respond to escalated incidents, troubleshoot intricate system and application problems, and conduct thorough root cause analyses to implement corrective measures.
- Thought Leadership and Innovation: stay up to date with the latest industry trends and emerging technologies and iterate on best practices to increase the quality & velocity of development and deliverables.
- Architect Scalable and Reliable Systems: Lead in the design and architecture of scalable, distributed, fault-tolerant systems that uphold performance and reliability standards.
- Mentorship and Evangelism: Champion the adoption of new technologies, disseminate best practices, and advocate for architectural patterns. Mentor and guide fellow engineers in the organization.
What you bring to the table:
- 10-12+ years of experience in the software/DevOps/SRE realm
- Ability to troubleshoot complex distributed systems at scale
- Comfortable innovating and establishing new practices, processes, and tooling
- Strong analytical skills, system design, and architecture for cloud applications
- CI/CD, configuration management, monitoring, and automation expertise
- Advanced knowledge of observability and best practices (ELK, Datadog, OpenTelemetry, Prometheus, Grafana)
- Deployment and orchestration via AWS ECS, k8s, CloudRun etc.
- Understanding of Linux, virtualization, networking, VPCs, firewalls, security groups
- Hands-on knowledge of AWS and resources provisioning via CLI/API/IaC
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience.
Why join us?
- We are mission-driven, and work collaboratively towards our shared vision of improving scientific communication and accelerating scientific discovery: BioRender figures have appeared in more than 16,000 publications!
- It’s a product that users love! We have a world-class NPS and a community of loyal fans. Check out our Testimonials page to see what our customers are saying about us!
- We are in the top quartile for profitability and year-over-year revenue growth, with users in 200+ countries.
- BioRender is an equal opportunity employer, and an inclusive hiring process and work environment is a part of our DNA.
- We’re remote-first and have team members across Canada and the United States. A physical office in Toronto is available, but you have the flexibility to work from anywhere.
- We’re backed by top investors, accelerators, and some of the most successful life science entrepreneurs and philanthropists in the world including Y Combinator, Malala Fund founders, and Fifty Years VC.
- We are committed to building a warm, inclusive, and diverse environment. Check out how we make sure our employees come first.
If your interest is piqued, please apply. We'd love to hear from you. Also, be sure to check out other listings on our Careers page. BioRender is now remote-first, with plans to bring everyone together at our Toronto office a few times each year.
We are committed to providing work environments which promote the health, safety and well-being of all employees in accordance with public health regulations and guidance. Accordingly, as a condition of any offer of employment, employees are required to provide evidence of full vaccination or have an approved exemption in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code.
BioRender is an equal opportunity employer and, as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. Selection decisions are solely based on job-related factors.