Remote · United States · Canada
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2023
At BioRender, our mission is to accelerate the world’s ability to learn, discover and communicate science. We are passionate about democratizing science communication in order to accelerate scientific discovery and understanding. We're looking for amazing people to help create the world’s go-to-place and platform where science is communicated. Come join us!
We’re looking for a full-time scientific designer to join our team. You’ll work within the BioRender platform to create templates, drive template creation strategy, and review content for scientific accuracy. You’ll keep abreast of scientific breakthroughs and how we provide for them within the product, and you’ll help to optimize the user experience through usability testing. Consulting on special projects will also give you the opportunity to lend your expertise in other areas as needed. You'll work alongside an award-winning scientific illustration and design team (including alumni from Johns Hopkins, University of Toronto, National Geographic Magazine, and more).
You will be successful in this role if you have
- Strong eye for visual design and science communication: You enjoy producing clean, elegant figures and diagrams that elevate science communication.
- Exceptional ability to manage competing deadlines and prioritize effectively: You have a strong work ethic and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- A cross-functional and team-oriented approach: You are someone who is team-first and loves working on a diverse array of projects that span cross-disciplinary teams.
- Strong ownership and problem-solving skills: You are genuinely curious and like to think outside the box to help contribute to a product users love. You enjoy figuring out thoughtful, creative solutions to achieve ambitious objectives, and staying agile in your work.
- Create clean, elegant template designs within the BioRender platform, from which scientists can modify and generate illustrations
- Contribute to user research and market research to uncover highest priority scientific content needs, in consideration of user segments, study fields, and BioRender’s business outcomes.
- Conduct peer and team-based template content reviews of near-finished templates for accuracy and visual design quality
- Perform routine research / audits for new, emerging, or breakthrough research topics or trends which may inform pivoting template topic priorities, allowing us to always provide relevant, helpful content to the science community
- Supporting other departments as an expert: log usability issues / bugs, offer qualified suggestions and ideas, help with scientific marketing campaigns, support the growth of BioRender’s user community, or points of improvement as an “end-user” involvement in other science discussions/projects including offering consultation / expertise in specialty projects or endeavours
- Our Senior Scientific designer will also showcase thought leadership in this space, and/or people management skills.
What you bring to the table
- Passionate BioRender user with significant experience using the platform
- Portfolio created in BioRender with 3-5 samples of clean designs, depicting a range of topics from cellular, molecular, protocols, etc.
- MSc or PhD in a life sciences field
- For our intermediate role: 2+ years of design experience and/or figure-making for publications, presentations, etc.
- For our senior role: 4+ years of design experience and/or figure-making for publications, presentations, etc, as well as robust experience leading science communication projects/initiatives. Strong eye for aesthetics/design and visual communication trends
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to manage competing deadlines and prioritize effectively
What you can expect from our interview process
- Introductory call: We will set up a 20-30 minute phone call with one of our recruiters, during which you’ll have the opportunity to share more about your experience and interests. You’ll also learn more about BioRender and the team you’re interviewing with. Feel free to ask any questions throughout these calls!
- Practical interview: You’ll be completing a design exercise so we can see your skills in action and give you a realistic preview of some role responsibilities.
- Work history interview: This is a conversational interview with our Scientific Creative Manager, Jerry. He will review your past work and educational experiences in chronological order: there’s no need to prepare much in advance, other than giving some thought to your past roles - what you did, who you worked with, high points and low points, etc.!
- Meet the team: Throughout our interview process, you can expect to meet with some of your potential colleagues as well as our CEO, Shiz.
Why join us?
- We are mission-driven, and work collaboratively towards our shared vision of improving scientific communication and accelerating scientific discovery: BioRender figures have appeared in more than 16,000 publications!
- It’s a product that users love! We have a world-class NPS and a community of loyal fans. Check out our Testimonials page to see what our customers are saying about us: https://biorender.com/testimonials/
- We are in the top quartile for profitability and year-over-year revenue growth, with users in 200+ countries.
- BioRender is an equal opportunity employer, and an inclusive hiring process and work environment is a part of our DNA.
- We’re remote-first and have team members across Canada and the United States. A physical office in Toronto is available, but you have the flexibility to work from anywhere.
- We’re backed by top investors, accelerators, and some of the most successful life science entrepreneurs and philanthropists in the world including Y Combinator, Malala Fund founders, and Fifty Years VC.
- We are committed to building a warm, inclusive, and diverse environment. Check out how we make sure our employees come first.
You can read more about the Science Designer interview process and FAQs here!
If your interest is piqued, please apply. We'd love to hear from you. Also, be sure to check out other listings on our Careers page. BioRender is now remote-first, with plans to bring everyone together at our Toronto office a few times each year. once Ontario COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.
We are committed to providing work environments which promote the health, safety and well-being of all employees in accordance with public health regulation and guidance. Accordingly, as a condition of any offer of employment, employees are required to provide evidence of full vaccination or have an approved exemption in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code.
BioRender is an equal opportunity employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origins, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. Selection decisions are solely based on job-related factors.