Staff Software Engineer
Remote · United States · Canada
Posted on Monday, March 6, 2023
At BioRender, our mission is to accelerate the world’s ability to learn, discover and communicate science. We are passionate about democratizing science communication in order to accelerate scientific discovery and understanding. We're looking for amazing people to help create the world’s go-to-place and platform where science is communicated. Come join us!
This is a big, ambitious goal. We’re looking for passionate product minded engineers who are motivated by obsessing over customer problems and building products to solve them in a collaborative team environment. By joining us, you’ll get an opportunity to collaborate closely with product managers, designers and scientists to ship products and features that equip our users with the necessary tools to communicate science faster.
We’re hiring Staff Software Engineers across all our teams to join our mission in democratizing science communication. As Staff Software Engineer, you’re a subject matter expert within your domain, demonstrating strategic thinking and creative problem solving to successfully own solving customer problems from ideation to production. You thrive at taking initiative to find meaningful problems that need to be addressed with our business, product or technology, and you take action to execute on solving them collaboratively.
Our engineers are generally fullstack with a meaningful emphasis on frontend given the nature of our product.
We're currently hiring Staff Engineers in the following areas:
Editor team: On the Editor team, we’re saving scientists millions of hours creating scientific visuals. We’re building the best-in-class visual graphics tools that empower scientific researchers to create visual science communication content in a fraction of the time it would take with other tools.
App Experiences team: The App Experiences team’s mission is to build a world-class and intuitive experience for scientists and their teams to use and collaborate in BioRender (researchers, admins, and others). The features include signup, onboarding, file organization, collaboration, payments, account management and more.
Growth team: The Growth team aims to discover and unlock value for our users, focusing on different aspects of the user journey. They use rapid product experimentation to drive user acquisition/engagement/retention/revenue, optimize the user experience, and drive forward sales pipeline.
Other teams: We’re looking to expand our core product areas and are going to be setting up several new full stack teams in the next 6-9 months that will focus on product expansion.
- Collaborate with the team to ensure all projects are on track and are executed to the highest degree of quality
- Act as a thought partner to the product manager on the team and product leadership; weighing in on departmental product roadmap, addressing complex questions, and raising areas of tech debt
- Strong impact on the development of others within engineering by creating new processes and programs to develop engineers at all levels within the team, and across teams (e.g. by creating a security training program, or improving the co-op program)
- Lead cross-team / cross-functional projects from the technical implementation standpoint
Our ideal fit:
- At least 7+ years of professional experience as a full-stack engineer
- Demonstrated expert proficiency in ReactJS (or other similar JS frontend frameworks), NodeJS and ExpressJS (or other similar Node-based API frameworks), NoSQL databases (MongoDB a plus), and cloud infrastructure (e.g. AWS)
- Designed systems used by the entire engineering department / and/or were foundational to the product
- Has had complete ownership over a team’s overall progress against deliverables and objectives
Why join us?
- We are mission-driven and work hard to contribute to the greater good by helping improve scientific communication to accelerate scientific discovery
- It’s a product that users love! We have a legion of evangelical users. Check out our Testimonials page to see what our customers are saying about us.
- We’re remote-first and have team members across Canada and the United States. A physical office in Toronto is available, but you have the flexibility to work from anywhere in the Canada and United States.
- We are profitable and continue to grow revenue north of 100% year over year with users in 200+ countries.
- We’re backed by top investors, accelerators, and some of the most successful life science entrepreneurs and philanthropists in the world including Y Combinator and Refactor.
- We are committed to building a warm, inclusive, and diverse environment. Check out how we make sure our employees come first: https://biorender.com/careers/
Check out our candidate resource - Engineering, Product & Design at BioRender!
You can also read more about the BioRender interview process and FAQs here!
Please note that in Canada, only those companies licensed by a provincial or territorial engineering regulator may refer to themselves as an “engineer” and therefore, this role will be titled "developer" internally at BioRender.
See more open positions at BioRender
Something looks off?