Vice President, Engineering
Benevity seeks a Vice President, Engineering, to deliver a technology-driven growth strategy in a demanding high-growth SaaS company.
As a senior technology leader, you are a driving force behind our vision of building the technology platform that will help 10M change-makers deliver a billion acts of goodness by 2025. In our first phase geared toward this vision, we are establishing the trusted and scalable infrastructure and development processes that will continue to create ongoing value for Benevity.
You are an exceptional communicator and leader who will use creative problem solving to develop prioritized solutions to critical client needs. You partner with product, design, client success and operational teams to help identify opportunities and bring them to life.
You understand the need to balance the delivery of product growth features with the need to make investments in addressing technical debt and maturing our internal delivery processes, and you support teams in managing that balance across the organization.
You are experienced in creating a data-driven development culture, with adherence and attention to agile processes, delivery of concrete value to the business and accountability for results. You bring knowledge of architectural and devops standards and are ready to set a high bar for all build teams to ensure the quality of their builds and deployments.
Your work builds bridges within Benevity and enhances the transparency and integrity of our engineering deliverables. You succeed by maintaining agility and adaptability in your leadership style as our organization matures, and by always focusing on the delivery of high-quality solutions that drive value for the business.
What you will do
- Develop and direct the strategy for our engineering teams to scale and mature both the technology and the underlying processes that will drive Benevity’s growth for the next 5 years.
- Deliver direct value to our clients through our development efforts (product roadmap features consistently delivered)
- Adopt industry best practices to drive efficient engineering delivery
- Build, develop and lead a team that can solve complex problems quickly, and ensure we are able to deliver on an ambitious roadmap.
- Partner closely with the product team, developing strong working relationships between the product & engineering teams to ensure that the processes that we are rolling out are creating the environment for both teams to succeed together.
- Be the decision-maker on the adoption of team-wide standards relating to development practices (code bases, tools, patterns) and processes (agile adoption, success metrics)
- Oversee the development of a state-of-the art cloud-based infrastructure and leverage it to deliver innovation within Benevity
- Engage and inspire the engineering team, maintaining a culture of inclusion, belonging, innovation and growth mindsets. Test solutions for maintaining a hybrid work environment while periodically bringing teams together for project work and building workplace community.
- Where appropriate, leverage external 3rd-party and contract resources to augment existing teams
- Ensure infrastructure scalability, availability, and support (in partnership with the Site Reliability Engineering team)
- Lead a direct team of senior engineering leaders, balancing individual and team development needs and creating an environment of accountability, alignment and collaboration
What you bring
- Experience in leading a large (100 person+) software engineering team delivering complex solutions, including a minimum of seven years’ experience managing leadership teams (Directors and above)
- Demonstrated ability to effectively set priorities and make decisions in periods of high change. The ideal leader will be able to meet the team where they are and guide them along a path to maturity, evolving and raising expectations at each stage.
- Advanced communication, critical thinking, logic, and problem-solving skills including the ability to rationalize complex, multi-faceted problems into smaller, manageable issues
- Creating and delivering compelling presentations to various audiences
- Solution-oriented mindset and a bias to execution
- Knowledge and application of agile development and management principles
- Industry knowledge of market-leading software development tools
- Understanding of cloud-based infrastructure and tools and best practices for building scalable services including the use of containers, serverless and event-driven architectures
- Post-secondary diploma, certificate or degree in relevant technical field (e.g. computer science, engineering, mathematics, physical sciences, data science, applied analytics, information technology) or related management field
Go to Work and Change the World
Looking for meaningful work where you can have an impact? Benevity is the place for you.
We’re a fast-paced (and fast growing!) software company in the business of doing good. Our market-leading cloud solution powers corporate purpose programs that help some of the world’s most iconic brands engage their people, customers, and communities by connecting them with causes they care about.
As a B Corp, we’re thrilled to be part of the next wave of companies that are committed to higher social and sustainability standards — a commitment you’ll see reflected in our mission-driven culture.
If you want to feel good about going to work every day, Benevity delivers. We’re an agile, high-performing team and we need new team members — people like you — to help us continue to innovate game-changing technology, and help our raving fans (er, clients!) successfully run world-class programs that create a culture of purpose and passion while making a positive difference in the world.
Imagine using your skills to catalyze a network of 12 million+ people from hundreds of the most recognizable global brands to connect with millions of nonprofits around the world. At Benevity, you can!
When You Work at Benevity
- You’ll have the once-in-a-career opportunity to be a part of a movement — helping some of the world’s most iconic brands drive social change and create a better employee experience that can attract, retain and engage today’s diverse workforce.
- You’ll make more than just a paycheck. You’ll have the opportunity to combine your passion with purpose every day while achieving tangible results. Just last year our team delivered nearly 1,000 feature enhancements; not to mention we’ve continued to build game-changing products while processing over $2 billion in donations and 10 million volunteer hours to 150,000 nonprofits worldwide.
- You’ll join a high-performing, purpose-driven team that will help you advance your skills and adopt the growth mindset that’s essential to success at our company (and in everyday life). Our inclusive environment will allow you to come to work each day and be your best, most authentic self.
- You won’t find a lot of office policies and politics around here, but you will find dogs. You’ll also find a lot of passionate people who are all owners in the company. That doesn’t just mean potential equity in the company (though it means that, too!), but also a sense of responsibility and pride that we’re in this thing together.
Our Commitment to a Diverse Culture
We believe in the power of diversity and we’re dedicated to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment at Benevity. We ensure equal opportunity for all applicants and encourage people of all visible minorities, including Indigenous applicants, and those of any religion, sex, age, ability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression to apply.
A Place for all Genders in Tech
Gender diversity and equality benefits everyone. We’re committed to supporting all gender identities and expressions in tech by sharing stories and advocating for equality. We’re also proud to partner with forward-thinking organizations like Chic Geek and Next Gen Men, who continue to build a more vibrant, inclusive and diverse technology landscape.
While we sincerely appreciate every application received, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.