Technical Accounting Specialist
The world’s coolest companies (and their employees) use Benevity’s technology to take social action on the issues they care about. Through giving, volunteering, grantmaking, employee resource groups and micro-actions, we help most of the Fortune 100 brands build better cultures and use their power for good. We’re also one of the first B Corporations in Canada, meaning we’re as committed to purpose as we are to profits. We have people working all over the world, including Canada, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom, the United States and more!
Our Financial Reporting team is seeking an amazing Technical Accounting Specialist to join our growing team! You will be a motivated self-starter with exceptional analytical, project management, and communications/interpersonal skills who is excited by the challenges and opportunities offered by a high-growth company. You will be responsible for ensuring Benevity’s group of companies and global affiliates comply with the relevant accounting standards. You will be excited to keep on top of US GAAP (and other relevant accounting standards in global accounting jurisdictions) developments and provide recommendations on complex matters.
What you’ll do:
- Identify, research and prepare technical memorandums on complex accounting issues, including those that arise from new accounting standards, share-based compensation agreements, business combinations, leases, revenues, financial instruments, etc
- Keep up to date on US GAAP and other relevant accounting standards for international entities
- Corporate accounting policies and related disclosures
- Prepare and/or review monthly/quarterly/annual complex accounting supporting working papers and/or journal entries
- Assist cross-functional teams (Financial Reporting, Tax, Operations, Financial Planning & Analysis, Investor Relations, etc.) with implementing recommendations to ensure they are accurately implemented and consistent with guidance
- Analyze contracts and agreements (sales, purchase, master service, master interCo licensing and transfer pricing agreements, etc.) to assess appropriate accounting treatment under US GAAP
- Support in managing our equity management software (Shareworks), including analyzing and determining proper accounting for key valuation inputs
- Ensure accounting and reporting processes comply with applicable internal control (SOX) requirements
- Address and respond to queries from internal teams, auditors and other third-party service providers, as required
- Implement process improvements that support a timely close
- Assist with month-end and year-end close, as required
- Other ad hoc reporting and accounting projects as required
What you’ll bring:
- Designated accountant (CA, CPA), with 5+ years post-designation experience in financial reporting and/or technical accounting
- Knowledge of US GAAP accounting principles and practices, and a demonstrated ability to break down and critically evaluate complex issues
- Cloud-based ERP system (NetSuite) experience is an asset
- Building financial reports in the ERP system is preferred
- Sales management tool (Salesforce) with a business focus
- Integrated equity compensation management tool (Shareworks) experience is an asset
- Advanced knowledge of Google Workspace and Asana is an asset
- Quick learner and a self-starter with the ability to work both independently and with a team
- Highly developed ability to prioritize, work well under pressure to meet concurrent deadlines, problem-solve and recommend effective solutions
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to convey complex ideas and principles with simplicity
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently and with a cross-collaborative team
- Motivated to learn, question the status quo and encourage change when needed
Discover your purpose at work
We are not employees, we are Benevity-ites. From all locations, backgrounds and walks of life, who deserve more …
Innovative work. Growth opportunities. Caring co-workers. And a chance to do work that fills us with a sense of purpose.
If the idea of working on tech that helps people do good in the world lights you up ... If you want a career where you’re valued for who you are and challenged to see who you can become …
It’s time to join Benevity. We’re so excited to meet you.
Join a company where DEIB isn’t a buzzword
The diverse backgrounds, experiences, skills and passions of our people make it possible for us to keep innovating as the market leader in our space.
Diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging are part of Benevity’s DNA. You’ll see the impact of our massive investment in DEIB daily — from our Black Employee Network making space for us to have difficult conversations to our Pride events and the exceptional diversity on our leadership and tech teams.
We strive to build a strong culture of belonging so that every Benevity-ite feels included and can thrive as their authentic selves — in a place where everyone has an equitable opportunity to shine!