Senior General Accountant
The world’s coolest companies (and their employees) use Benevity’s technology to take social action on the issues they care about. Through giving, volunteering, grantmaking, employee resource groups and micro-actions, we help most of the Fortune 100 brands build better cultures and use their power for good. We’re also one of the first B Corporations in Canada, meaning we’re as committed to purpose as we are to profits. We have people working all over the world, including Canada, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom, the United States and more!
As the Senior General Accountant, you will work closely with a team of like minded data processing team members to enable timely, reliable and accurate transactional data. You will be responsible for accounts payable, general ledger and inter-company reconciliations along with cash outflow planning and expense analysis across a global structure of entities.
You have a natural excitement for making processes more efficient and effective. You are keenly interested in enabling complete and accurate general ledger accounting, accounts payables and inter-company transactions. You’re a team player and are willing to coordinate tasks and projects to completion. You’re a tech savvy systems person that likes to get the most out of the tools you work with.
What you will do:
- Responsible for creating and maintaining a new vendor onboarding process
- Ensure the accuracy, timeliness and integrity of accounting information
- Create and/or prepare recurring month-end close processes, including preparation of journal entries and supporting schedules
- Create and/or prepare reconciliations for certain balance sheet accounts and inter-company transactions
- Operationalize the team as to inter-company allocations for tax compliance and collaborate with the Global Tax Manager and Financial Reporting team to ensure effective and efficient processes related to intercompany transactions
- Maintain an accurate and complete trail of supporting documentation on all areas of focus following control requirements
- Prepare analysis of the company’s expenses vs. budget and prior periods and work collaboratively with the business for explanations
- Prepare cash flow forecasts for expense outflows for all global entities and collaborate with the financial planning and analysis team to ensure accurate and timely internal reporting
- Collaborate regularly with finance team on continuous improvements to meet our growing Company’s increasing needs for efficient and timely financial reporting
- Assist with the annual audits and tax compliance filings with documentation and monitoring of internal controls and processes
- Provide monthly, quarterly, annual updates and reporting
- Other ad hoc reporting and accounting projects as required
What you will bring:
- Diploma or Degree in the areas of finance, business or accounting
- 3+ years post designation experience as a Chartered Public Accountant
- 7+ years of related experience in a corporate accounting department, start-up experience is a plus
- Relevant experience in building new processes for the purpose of efficiency and effective controls, whether through use of tools, training, automation, or other
- Experience with project management including tools, experience with Asana is a plus
- Familiarity with international business and requirements for local tax and statutory reporting is a plus
- Willingness to learn new financial systems and tools and overall tech savviness
- Self-starter with the ability to work both independently and with the team
- Motivated to learn, question the status-quo, and encourage change when needed
- Ability to work well with ambiguity, under pressure and to meet deadlines
- Demonstrated attention to detail and well-developed organizational and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills - fluent in French is a plus
- Proficiency with Netsuite accounting software (or other cloud-based accounting software) is a plus
- Advanced knowledge in Microsoft Office programs, particularly Excel, experience with Google workspace is a plus
Discover your purpose at work
We are not employees, we are Benevity-ites. From all locations, backgrounds and walks of life, who deserve more …
Innovative work. Growth opportunities. Caring co-workers. And a chance to do work that fills us with a sense of purpose.
If the idea of working on tech that helps people do good in the world lights you up ... If you want a career where you’re valued for who you are and challenged to see who you can become…
It’s time to join Benevity. We’re so excited to meet you.
Join a company where DEIB isn’t a buzzword
The diverse backgrounds, experiences, skills and passions of our people make it possible for us to keep innovating as the market leader in our space.
Diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging are part of Benevity’s DNA. You’ll see the impact of our massive investment in DEIB daily — from our Black Employee Network making space for us to have difficult conversations to our Pride events and the exceptional diversity on our leadership and tech teams.
We strive to build a strong culture of belonging so that every Benevity-ite feels included and can thrive as their authentic selves — in a place where everyone has an equitable opportunity to shine!