Assistant Financial Controller
Benevity’s award-winning corporate purpose software empowers companies and their people to take social action on the issues and causes they care about. Through giving, volunteering, grantmaking and positive actions, we help 940+ clients (and counting!) build better cultures and engage their employees and customers to create greater social and business impact. We’re also one of the first B-Corps in Canada, meaning we’re as committed to purpose as we are to profits.
Located in Calgary, Alberta and reporting to the Corporate Controller, the Assistant Financial Controller is a critical leadership role on the Finance team, overseeing a wide range of functions including internal and external reporting for Benevity’s global operations, treasury, and providing accounting and financial services to our global foundation partners. The Assistant Financial Controller will be actively involved in supporting Benevity’s global operations and other strategic initiatives including managing the financial side of the integration of new or acquired entities or new foundation partnerships. Your analysis, insight and ability to enable the team to deliver timely, accurate and reliable data will form the basis for strategic planning and achievement of the Company’s growth objectives. In this role, you will work closely with internal stakeholders such as General Accounting, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Operations, Legal, and Tax, as well as external stakeholders such as the financial auditors, Foundation trustees and banks.
What you will do:
Accountable for the finance processes for multiple reporting entities and consolidations, including the following deliverables:
- Develop, mentor, manage and train an accounting and treasury team of financial and technical accountants and analysts capable of carrying out their responsibilities and any additional required initiatives
- Effective performance management, including setting clear objectives and expectations around key results and regularly measuring against those results
- Key member of the finance leadership team, with shared responsibility for planning and contributing to finance team culture
Foundation, Financial Accounting and Reporting
- Oversee the financial accounting and reporting function, including the preparation of subsidiary and consolidated annual financial statements
- Ensure the integrity, timeliness, completeness and accuracy of internal and external monthly, and annual reporting, with a priority on providing meaningful information that contributes to management, board and trustee decision making
- Review and approve monthly technical and complex accounting journal entries
- Coordinate external audits and maintain key relationships with the Company’s and Foundation’s auditors in all global jurisdictions and lead discussions around complex matters
- Support the Global Operations & Foundation Partnership team to provide required information to the foundation trustees as required
- Drive finance process improvement projects to facilitate growth and scalability across the finance team and the business to ensure timely, accurate and reliable reporting
- Accountable for accounting policies and procedures including internal controls over financial reporting
- Review and provide guidance on technical research, interpretation, and the impact of new accounting standards, under US or local GAAP, and oversee the implementation of these standards
- Responsible for internal management reporting, including monthly variance analysis of financials and KPIs relative to budget
- Support the annual budgeting process and assist with monthly rolling forecasts
- Review, and support, due diligence and business combination accounting for acquisitions as required while working with third-party valuation firms and lawyers
- Accountable for the integration of newly acquired or created entities within the finance processes and procedures and to lead the integration across the business related to these processes
- A key partner with the tax team for tax compliance and other regulatory reporting requirements including, Canadian, US, Swiss, Spain, and UK income taxes
- Support Benevity’s global expansion by advising on and implementing finance operations in new markets
- Provide assistance to the General Accounting team’s oversight to transactional accounting functions, including GL, AR, AP and billings
- Provide leadership around financial systems, including analysis of and the implementation of a new enterprise resource planning (ERP) tool
- Direct the build out of the treasury function, including training a team, building onto current processes, consolidate treasury processes from other teams
- Manage global bank accounts - set up, closures, as required
- Direct the build out of processes and reporting to monitor cash balances and implement cash forecasting processes in collaboration with the FP&A team
- Assess and guide the implementation of an investment policy for excess cash
- Coordinate global insurance requirements in conjunction with the insurance broker
- Approver on bank accounts and controls around cash
What you bring:
- A leader that exemplifies as a role model for the business and team, with unquestioned business ethics and a commitment to Benevity’s values showing humility, accountability, authenticity, adaptability, passion, impact and innovation
- The ability to see and present setbacks as learning opportunities for oneself and the team
- Minimum of 10 years experience managing, developing, mentoring and retaining a motivated top talent financial accounting and treasury team
- Self-starter, willing to roll up their sleeves to identify and resolve issues when required
- Proven ability to handle, and enable the team to handle, multiple complex, possibly competing, problems and business initiatives simultaneously while focusing on impact to the core business objectives
- Enable and influence the team and multiple functions to consistently meet expectations and deadlines
- Strong integrity to handle confidential and sensitive matters
Experience and Qualifications
- Professionally designated accountant (CPA), in good standing, with undergraduate degree in accounting, finance or other relevant field
- Minimum 10 years of relevant post-designation experience, including working directly with external auditors and other key stakeholders
- Strong technical accounting skills related to U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Canadian accounting standards for not-for-profit organizations (“ASNPO”) (preferred). Experience in international reporting and reconciling back to US GAAP (preferred)
- Financial and internal management reporting experience, including knowledge of best practices with the ability to identify, lead and implement process efficiencies and value-added solutions in the business
- Highly analytical with the ability to understand complex issues by breaking down the components, conceptualize solutions, and clearly communicate to varying audiences
- Strong analytical, problem solving and organizational skills with the emphasis on timely, accurate and reliable data and reporting
- Strong communicator – verbal and written
- Strong working knowledge of advanced Excel and Microsoft Office suite skills; extensive experience working with Google workspace (preferred)
- Experience in the technology sector (preferred)
Discover your purpose at work
If what you really want is more than just a J-O-B — a place where your work has meaning and makes a real impact — Benevity is the place for you.
It’s hard not to feel a sense of purpose from helping the world’s coolest companies do more good. In fact, 92% of Benevity-ites say they’re inspired by our mission (we call it our “Moonshot”!) You’ll get to make a difference in the world alongside equally passionate coworkers and leaders who are invested in being part of a tech transformation at a high-growth company that is changing the way businesses and people have impact.
You’ll get that competitive salary, flexible health benefits, mental health support, a generous bonus program, stock options, a hybrid office/home work environment and so much more. Plus, Benevity’s very own MyGoodness program inspires our people to donate, volunteer and take action for the causes and issues they care about.
If you want meaning, purpose and growth, you belong at Benevity.
Join a company where DEIB isn’t a buzzword
The diverse backgrounds, experiences, skills and passions of our people make it possible for us to keep innovating as the market leader in our space.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging are part of Benevity’s DNA. You’ll see the impact of our massive investment in DEIB daily—from our Black Employee Network making space for us to have difficult conversations to our Pride events and the exceptional diversity on our leadership and tech teams.
We strive to build a strong culture of Belonging so that every Benevity-ite feels included and can thrive as their authentic selves — in a place where everyone has an equitable opportunity to shine!
If you want to feel seen, heard and celebrated, you belong at Benevity.