Senior Machine Learning Engineer - Research & NLP (Remote)
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2023
We are seeking a Sr ML Engineer - Research & NLP to join our growing Core Machine Learning (CoreML) team. You will work on complex and challenging NLP problems that will have an impact on the 41,000+ scientists across the world who rely on BenchSci for their research.
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, ML, you’ll apply your domain expertise to build advanced machine learning algorithms, collaborate with data engineers to build benchmarking and data preparation pipelines, and core infrastructure engineers to deploy and monitor your models in our production system. In this role, you will have the opportunity to apply state-of-the-art solutions that will shape the future of scientific discovery.
BenchSci is a remote first organization. At this moment, we are welcoming applicants from Canada, the US and the UK for this position.
- Design, build, evaluate and deploy robust, scalable and production-ready ML models that enhance the speed and quality of life-saving research
- Run research-focused projects to invent new NLP/ML solutions
- Collaborate with data and core infrastructure engineers to solve the complex problems of extracting insights from biomedical text data
- Continuously improve our ML workflow by keeping up to date with the latest optimizations in libraries such as PyTorch, and expand our usage of modern tools such as DVC
- Drive design discussions, apply best practices, diagnose problems and lead the resolution
- Participate and contribute to sprint planning, estimation, and design/code reviews, advocating for innovative solutions and long-term technical investments that will drive innovation at BenchSci
- Work cross-functionally with different stakeholders including BenchSci's R&D scientists to learn, model, and capture the nuances of biology
- Provide guidance to engineers and help to foster a culture of continuous growth
- 4+ years of experience working as a professional developer applying ML techniques, with 2+ years in ML research
- Expertise in fundamentals of ML model training and designing, building and evaluating robust & scalable production-ready ML models
- Strong experience working with LLMs, Python and programming fundamentals, and NLP & PyTorch
- Experience with data manipulation and processing, such as SQL or pandas
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems with an eye for detail, such as scalability and performance of a potential solution
Benefits and Perks:
An engaging remote-first culture
A great compensation package that includes BenchSci equity options
15 days vacation plus an additional day every year; plus company closures for 15 more days throughout the year
Unlimited flex time for sick days, personal days, religious holidays
Comprehensive health and dental benefits Emphasis on mental health with $2500 CAD* for Psychologist, Social Worker, or Psychotherapist services
A $2000 CAD* Annual Learning & Development budget
A $1000 CAD* home office set-up budget
A $2500 CAD*wellness, lifestyle and productivity spending account for employees
Generous parental leave benefits with a top-up plan or paid time off options
*Benefits are tied to Canadian dollar amounts and would be converted to local currency for those in other countries. Moving to local currency allotments in the future.
BenchSci's mission is to exponentially increase the speed and quality of life-saving research and development. We empower scientists to run more successful experiments with the world's most advanced, biomedical artificial intelligence software platform.
Backed by Generation Investment Management, TCV, Inovia, F-Prime, Golden Ventures, and Google's AI fund, Gradient Ventures, we provide an indispensable tool for scientists that accelerates research at 16 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading academic centers. We're a certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
BenchSci relentlessly builds on its strong foundation of culture. We put team members first, knowing that they're the organization's beating heart. We invest as much in our people as our products. Our culture fosters transparency, collaboration, and continuous learning.
We value each other's differences and always look for opportunities to embed equity into the fabric of our work. We foster diversity, autonomy, and personal growth, and provide resources to support motivated self-leaders in continuous improvement.
You will work with high-impact, highly skilled, and intelligent experts motivated to drive impact and fulfill a meaningful mission. We empower you to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and thrive. Here you will be challenged to stretch yourself to achieve the seemingly impossible. Learn more about our culture.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: We're committed to creating an inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. We believe that improving diversity, equity and inclusion is our collective responsibility, and this belief guides our DEI journey. Learn more about our DEI initiatives.