Advisor, Bench Tax
We acknowledge that Bench is founded on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
Businesses need to understand their financial performance, but for many smaller ones, this means a trade-off between managing their books and running their businesses.
Our mission is to help every business owner thrive, by providing financial insight and peace of mind in one seamless platform. From creatives to chiropractors, Bench helps thousands of small business owners and entrepreneurs master their financial lives. Because understanding your finances should be three things: simple, effortless, and affordable.We’re growing fast, and we’re looking for exceptional people to join us on this incredible journey. Check out our culture guide to learn more about what it’s like to work at Bench and read more about our business here!
**We are currently conducting interviews and selecting candidates for a 2024 start date.**
What's the Bench Tax Advisory team like?
With Bench Tax we allow our customers to ditch the tax season stress, forever. We’re a startup within a startup; a team of dedicated Tax Advisors who build long-lasting relationships with our customers through helping them with all things US income tax, support our peers through cross collaboration projects and work closely with other Benchmates for all of our customers’ tax filing needs.
What you’ll get up to:
At the core of everything we do is our customers. As a Tax Advisor with Bench Tax, you will obsess over achieving positive tax outcomes for your portfolio of customers. Whether that’s providing your customers with ways to reduce their tax obligation, helping them overcome difficult tax situations, or partnering with Benchmates to review and file tax returns for your customers. Bench Tax Advisors work with significant autonomy and deliver the highest quality service and advice to their customers.
Our Advisors also play an important role in helping us to continue to grow our Tax service at Bench. In addition to supporting their customers, our Bench Tax Advisors are relied upon to strongly influence the department in which they operate. They do this by collaborating with others to optimize processes, help to grow tax knowledge across the company and participate in project work where tax expertise is required.
What you’ll be getting up to:
- Attend customer meetings via phone call or zoom, to review the customer’s current tax situation and provide advice on how to achieve positive tax outcomes
- Review draft tax returns and provide direction where changes are needed, while communicating next steps to the customer
- Respond to customer income tax questions via email or internal messaging platforms within expected timelines
- Ensure the outcomes of advisory conversations are being met through working directly with respective teams within Bench
- Support customers or Benchmates to overcome a wide range of tax questions and situations, including resolving issues at the IRS or State Department of Revenue level
- Maintain and update customer records to ensure the Bench teams understand all outcomes of any tax advice provided to our customers
- Be powerfully present in all customer escalations; actively taking the lead and working with the customer and/or internal Benchmates until resolution is achieved
- Contribute to the achievement of team Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and team-level Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) in a challenging, sustainable and supported way
- Identify where peers across departments would benefit from increased tax training and supports the improvement of overall income tax comprehension of fellow Benchmates
- Through participation in cross-functional work, suggest improvements to process and/or our knowledge base that will improve how we deliver Tax to our customers
- Participate with the Bench Tax Teams to continuously improve the overall service delivery in the pursuit of being completely obsessed with positive customer outcomes. At minimum, you are comfortable working in a space where iterative improvements to enhance our customers’ experience is paramount
What you’ll need:
- +2 years of applicable experience preparing and reviewing tax returns for individuals and all business entity types, either prepared by themselves or members of their team
- Be licensed as an active Enrolled Agent or CPA. License is current, active and in good standing
- An active and up to date PTIN
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Be committed to maintaining annual continuing education requirements (CPEs)
- Stay up to date with changes in the US Tax Code (and tax laws of other state/local municipalities)
It could be an even better fit if you have:
- Cloud Based Tax Solution Experience: You have prior experience working in a cloud based tax solution, and understand how to get the best of your customers in this environment
- +2 years of accounting experience: At times you may be required to explain to customers how their tax return is being impacted by their financial statements
- Experience with Drake and Karbon
Extra bonus points for:
- Strategically Minded: We’re here to build a world-class tax advisory and compliance service for micro-small businesses in the US. In order to do so, this individual must be able to step into the space where they’ll act as a voice for new opportunities to strategically improve our service offerings, whether that’s breadth or depth of the services.
What you'll get:
- At Bench we share information freely and openly whenever possible. The salary for this role is $73,920 per year.
- You’ll get access to Inkblot Therapy’s Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP) that offers counseling and support, for you and family members, as well as professional development coaching, financial advice, legal advice and much more.
- You will have the support of your manager, and the opportunity to learn and develop with a team of unconventional & diverse Benchmates, who are all working together to achieve the same mission.
- Bench has a number of Affinity Groups - groups of people who have shared identities and experiences! The purpose of these groups is to support underrepresented Benchmates and amplify their voices.
- We currently focus our hiring efforts in the following US states - Colorado, Georgia, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, New York, Texas, Washington, Wisconsin.
- Bench provides a Home Office Setup Fund, to ensure that you have everything you need to work comfortably from home, from day one.
- You’ll have the opportunity to work from somewhere other than your home state for up to 3 months, within a 12 month period.
Everyone has their own unique talents. Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above, tell us why you’d be a great fit for this role in your application.
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. If you are selected for an interview and require support during the process, including disability accommodation, we'll give you the opportunity to tell us when we contact you.