Manager, Analytics Engineering
We acknowledge that Bench is founded on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
Businesses need to understand their financial performance, but for many smaller ones, this means a trade-off between managing their books and running their businesses.
Our mission is to help every business owner thrive, by providing financial insight and peace of mind in one seamless platform. From creatives to chiropractors, Bench helps thousands of small business owners and entrepreneurs master their financial lives. Because understanding your finances should be three things: simple, effortless, and affordable.We’re growing fast, and we’re looking for exceptional people to join us on this incredible journey. Check out our culture guide to learn more about what it’s like to work at Bench and read more about our business here!
About the Role
As the Analytics Engineering Manager, you’ll drive the vision and direction of our analytics engineering team and data infrastructure. This role isn’t for a principal analytics engineer. You won’t be expected to dig into the weeds or to build out solutions, though it’s fine if you want to get your hands dirty. Instead, you’ll focus on mentoring a group of Analytics Engineers, developing best practices, championing new tools and methodologies, and increasing the skill sets and performance of your team. You’ll also be a leader when it comes to advocating for the data roadmap, partnering with systems and product teams to ensure data collection processes have analytics architecture in mind.
What you’ll be getting up to:
- Develop and hire top analytics engineering talent including providing technical mentorship and supporting successful deployment of data projects
- Lean on your industry experience and engineering competencies to drive change through communication and engagement with both engineers and collaborators across Bench
- Identify gaps in our data collection processes and collaborate with product, engineering, and business systems to iterate and improve current methodologies
- Contribute to product and systems delivery, by ensuring analytics engineers are engaging to understand business needs and translating them into how data can be consumed downstream in our data warehouse
- Manage operational components of the data platform to ensure updated data are available and maintained
- Gather context from the business and translate larger company objectives into how your team supports it through a defined roadmap
- Collaborate with the analytics team and business partners to increase the value of our data platform by introducing new data sources, technologies, and methodologies
What you’ll need:
- 2+ years experience managing a team of analysts, analytics engineers, or data engineers
- 3+ years as an analytics engineer or data engineer
- Technical skills to leverage in engagement and communication, including:
- Proficiency in SQL (aggregate functions, window functions, complex joins, CTE), including query optimization skills
- Familiarity with modern cloud data stack (AWS, Tableau, dbt, Stitch, FiveTran, etc.)
- Experience setting data strategies and creating systems and processes that enable teams to deliver successfully against objectives
- Experience working with senior partners and communicating data concepts and philosophies effectively
- Experience collaborating with product, engineering, and systems teams to deliver sustainable architecture that better serve the data needs of the business
What you'll get:
- At Bench we share information freely and openly whenever possible. The salary range for this role is $135,200 - $169,000 per year, depending on experience
- In addition, we offer an extended benefits package that includes paid vacation, paid flex days, stock options, and full health, dental, and vision.
- You’ll get access to Inkblot Therapy’s Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP) that offers counseling and support, for you and family members, as well as professional development coaching, financial advice, legal advice and much more.
- Bench has a number of Affinity Groups - groups of people who have shared identities and experiences! The purpose of these groups is to support underrepresented Benchmates and amplify their voices.
- If you live in BC’s Lower Mainland, you have the opportunity to work at home and in our downtown office location, depending on your preference! For some roles, we do require folks to be in the office regularly. We’ll be sure to outline expectations during the interview process.
- For folks working fully remote, we will provide additional solutions to bring teams together for collaboration and connection.
- Whether you get to use the office or if you work remotely, you’ll have access to our Home Office Setup Fund to ensure that you have everything you need to work comfortably from home, from day one.
- You’ll have the opportunity to work from somewhere other than your home province for up to 3 months, within a 12 month period.
Everyone has their own unique talents. Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above, tell us why you’d be a great fit for this role in your application.
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. If you are selected for an interview and require support during the process, including disability accommodation, we'll give you the opportunity to tell us when we contact you.