Senior Data Analyst
We acknowledge that Bench is founded on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
Businesses need to understand their financial performance, but for many smaller ones, this means a trade-off between managing their books and running their businesses.
Our mission is to help every business owner thrive, by providing financial insight and peace of mind in one seamless platform. From creatives to chiropractors, Bench helps thousands of small business owners and entrepreneurs master their financial lives. Because understanding your finances should be three things: simple, effortless, and affordable.We’re growing fast, and we’re looking for exceptional people to join us on this incredible journey. Check out our culture guide to learn more about what it’s like to work at Bench and read more about our business here!
About the Team
The Data Insights Group at Bench comprises two teams: Data Analytics and Analytics Engineering. This group is a centralized function responsible for delivering data products, providing decision-making support and insights, and maintaining analytics pipelines and data warehousing for all of Bench. The Data Analytics team works closely with business leaders and Strategy & Operations managers to develop instrumentation for core metrics and leverage findings to generate strategies to grow the business.
What you’ll be getting up to:
- Being a deeply trusted partner, leader and advisor to business teams
- Having a strong understanding of our business metrics and how they relate to our business teams, while providing an informed opinion in strategic decision making Ensuring that the definitions of metrics are consistent across our current and new reporting
- Creating business cases and roadmaps in partnership with stakeholders and project managers that improve the state of the data ecosystem
- Building and maintaining sources of truth that support “self-serve” analytics
- Transforming data through SQL queries to blend meaningful insights from various data sources and data warehouses
- Delivering ad-hoc analysis, recommendations and insights that stakeholders can action
- Identifying, tackling and reconciling reporting issues in a timely manner
- Highlighting opportunities to accelerate our business performance and strategy
- Identifying opportunities to upstream teams to improve data and systems architecture
- Assessing gaps in existing metrics layers and providing feedback to analytics engineering and system teams to develop solutions upstream
To be successful in this role, you'll need to have:
- 3 years+ of experience in accounting, finance, consulting, strategy, business intelligence or a related field
- Degree in Business, Economics, Engineering, or other quantitative fields
- Experience translating complex business problems into clear drivers and structured models
- Excellent skills in BI tools like Tableau, SQL, Google Sheets, etc.
- Exceptional analytical skills and intuition
- Comfort working with quantitative and qualitative data
- Experience communicating recommendations effectively to senior leadership
You’re a great fit if you have:
- A nose for value: You can take a big-picture perspective to identify and stay focused on what’s most important
- Appreciation for systems: You can connect the dots and figure out the best solution for Bench, not just the stakeholders you’re working with
- Intellectual curiosity: It’s not enough for you to know the what - you want to know the why. You are energized by challenging problems, and are persistent/ resourceful in your efforts to solve them
- Startup hustle: You are highly motivated, proactive, comfortable with change and ambiguity. You have a humble, team-player attitude and are ready to pitch in wherever you are needed most
What you'll get:
- At Bench we share information freely and openly whenever possible. The salary range for this role is $73,200 - $91,500 per year, depending on experience.
- In addition, we offer an extended benefits package that includes paid vacation, paid flex days, stock options, and full health, dental, and vision.
- You’ll get access to Inkblot Therapy’s Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP) that offers counseling and support, for you and family members, as well as professional development coaching, financial advice, legal advice and much more.
- Bench has a number of Affinity Groups - groups of people who have shared identities and experiences! The purpose of these groups is to support underrepresented Benchmates and amplify their voices.
- If you live in BC’s Lower Mainland, you have the opportunity to work at home and in our downtown office location, depending on your preference! For some roles, we do require folks to be in the office regularly. We’ll be sure to outline expectations during the interview process.
- For folks working fully remote, we will provide additional solutions to bring teams together for collaboration and connection.
- Whether you get to use the office or if you work remotely, you’ll have access to our Home Office Setup Fund to ensure that you have everything you need to work comfortably from home, from day one.
- You’ll have the opportunity to work from somewhere other than your home province for up to 3 months, within a 12 month period.
Everyone has their own unique talents. Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above, tell us why you’d be a great fit for this role in your application.
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. If you are selected for an interview and require support during the process, including disability accommodation, we'll give you the opportunity to tell us when we contact you.