Director, Engineering (Hardware)
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2023
You want to work for a fast-paced company that thinks big and dreams huge. You are driven, view work as more than just a job, and are never satisfied with a project left half-done. You have a strong sense of personal ownership and responsibility for completion of objectives on time. You want to figure out why things tick which makes you tick but very little ticks you off. You want to think outside of the box and continually challenge your own limits, as well as those around you. You have a mad scientist mentality where you want to be part of the robots building robots revolution.
Attabotics is the world’s first 3D robotics supply chain system for modern commerce. Inspired by the framework of ant colonies, Attabotics replaces the rows and aisles of traditional fulfillment centers with a patented storage structure and robotics shuttles that utilize both horizontal and vertical space, reducing a company’s warehouse needs by 85%. By empowering retailers to place fulfillment centers near high-density urban areas, Attabotics helps create jobs and decrease carbon emissions by closing the last-mile delivery gap. Attabotics is a TIME Magazine Most Innovative Company special mention, CNBC Disruptor, and one of Fast Company’s world’s 50 most innovative companies. Attabotics is based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, with fulfillment centers across the United States and Canada.
The Director, Engineering (Hardware) based out of Calgary Alberta leads, directs and oversees the design, development and enhancement of electro-mechanical systems and mechatronics related to our robots, structures, workstations and other related solutions. Responsible for the commercialization of Attabotics’s mechatronics solutions, this role is accountable for overseeing all NPI and sustaining engineering activities to deliver innovative solutions that drive the successful implementation and support of our products to the field.
You will provide technical and organizational leadership to support high performance teams of technologists, engineers and technical leaders. The Director, Engineering (Hardware) champions engineering initiatives, is quality focused and ensures NPI and sustaining teams can identify and execute on engineering solutions to (I) lower incident and failure rate and increase system availability, (ii) increase the performance of the system (throughput and cycle time), (iii) reduce the total cost of ownership (reduce BOM cost and cost of repair).
What We Need
- Liaise across all business teams including product management and senior executives to define and deliver mechatronics solutions that meet the overall strategic vision of product and roadmap
- Liaise with the high-level software team and operations to provide the best system solution.
- Manage, direct and execute all design processes for existing and new products and establish timelines for completing designs, drawings and bill of materials
- Ensure engineering efforts are carried effectively to meet objectives including manufacturability, quality, cost, design control and reliability
- Oversee NPI engineering efforts taking design concepts from R&D and make them a functioning, manufacturable, sustaining product
- Provide leadership, guidance, and technical expertise/direction to the NPI and sustaining engineering teams Define and execute mechatronics technical direction and strategy, while overseeing all engineering efforts to enable and facilitate the continued development and manufacture of Attabotics’ products
- Provide status reports on all KPIs and engineering project progress reporting advising management of new developments which may affect profit, schedule, costs and customers
- Ensure sustaining efforts are carried effectively to meet objectives including manufacturability, quality, cost, design control and reliability
- Build a culture of ownership, quality, process improvement and data driven decision making across all stages of engineering
- Identify and mitigate risks in your teams’ resources and capabilities
- Envision, strategize and execute on the evolution of mechatronics solutions
Who You Are
- Strong Technical background of problem solving a commercial product with 10+ years’ experience in a multi-disciplinary environment of Electrical, Mechanical and Embedded Software engineering.
- Degree or Master’s in any field related to Mechatronics (Mechanical Engineering, Electronics, Control systems, Embedded Software...)
- Experience with mobile robotic systems and hardware development experience is a must
- Relevant process or product development experience with PCBA, mechanicals, electro-mechanical box build and related manufacturing automation.
- Experience performing DFA/M and creating standards for manufacturing automation
- Experience with acceptance testing, startup & qualification of automated and or robotic manufacturing equipment and solutions
- Demonstrated success growing and leading a team of technical reports
- Must have experience in a high tech, product development environment, with excellent team leadership, presentation, and collaboration skills
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills
- Knows what it takes to build support and trust across the organization though clear communication of work and collaboration with peers
- Experience with Agile project management and development processes
If this description describes you perfectly and the work environment you know you can thrive in, send us your resume as well as describe to us what you’re passionate about and we may just reach out to you.
Attabotics is committed to employing the best people to do the best job possible within our environment. We hire based on merit and are strongly committed to cultivating diversity as a source of excellence. Attabotics firmly believes that a vast array of perspectives produces and promotes innovation and business success. Our corporate diversity encompasses differences in ethnicity, gender identity or expression, language, age, sexual orientation, religion, socio-economic status, physical and mental ability and education.
Attabotics promotes a corporate safety culture where employees’ health, safety & well being is number one and with the ultimate goal of establishing a zero incident work environment.
Attabotics is aware of false advertisement of our postings, which may include compensation information. These are fraudulent sites and should not be trusted. Attabotics will never ask for any form of payment during the recruitment process. For a current listing of all our postings, and the only legitimate location to apply, please visit.