Associate, Cells CMC
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Sunday, February 4, 2024
We are seeking an Associate, Cells CMC to join our high-performing team focused on developing bioprinted tissue therapeutics for cell therapy applications. In this role, you will focus on supplying multiple cell substrates to drive the development of bioprinted tissue therapeutics (BTT) in support of Aspect’s GMP and R&D groups. Cell substrates would minimally include partner-supplied iPSC β cell aggregates, type 1 diabetes (T1D) focused reporter cell lines (Min6, Ins1, etc.) and other cell types as required by Aspect’s corporate objectives. This is an onsite position. Minimally you will be expected to work in the laboratory for 70% of your time.
- Support the production and supply of cell substrates to Aspect’s R&D and GMP groups.
- Support studies to assess in vitro viability and function of cell substrates.
- Support the development of qualification strategies for incoming partner-supplied cell substrates.
- Support optimization and scale-up processing of therapeutic cells.
- Assist other activities within preclinical R&D and GMP groups including cell culture, analysis, assay development, reagent preparation, data collection, data analysis, and other.
- Align cell culture approaches with scale-up and manufacturing teams to support the development of therapies.
- Collaborate with Aspect’s R&D and Engineering groups to generate, characterize, and optimize bioprocessing methods.
- Maintain clear and rigorous experimental records, including laboratory notebooks of cell substrate manufacturing and process development activities.
- Develop subject matter expertise and work with other CMC teams to ensure technical compliance and adherence.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education: BSc in life sciences or engineering.
- Professional Experience: Greater than 2 years industry experience with a focus on life sciences/engineering. Experience in cGMP environment would be an asset.
- Beneficial Knowledge: An expert in aseptic technique with at least 1 year of experience with mammalian cell culture is required. Experience with immortalized insulinoma cell lines, primary or stem cell derived insulin-producing cells will be an asset. Experience with 3D, spheroid, organoid or hydrogel cell culture is an asset.
Who You Are
- Intellectually Curious: You have a burning desire to learn more and are not afraid to ask questions.
- Problem Solver: You love immersing yourself in difficult technical problems and coming up with solutions that work. You think outside the box and use your experience and intuition to identify when such solutions are realistic.
- Detail-Oriented & Meticulously Organized: You have outstanding attention to detail and take pride in your work and strive for excellence. You can multitask, prioritize competing deadlines, and have a track record for delivering work on time.
- Thrive in Ambiguity: You are highly adaptable, agile, and poised when faced with change, ambiguity, and competing priorities.
- Collaborative: You thrive in a multi-disciplinary team environment and believe that we can get further, faster by working together.
- Effective Communicator: You are an active listener who can effectively communicate with different audiences in diverse situations.
- Time Management: You have excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work.
- Go-Getter: You work with a sense of urgency, are results-driven, and thrive in a fast-paced, interdisciplinary, and entrepreneurial environment. You are willing to roll up your sleeves and do what it takes to get the job done.
The hiring range for this role is $57,000 - $82,000, annually. Our ranges are based on market data. Offered salaries will be based on a combination of factors including, but not limited to, job-related knowledge, skills, education, and experience. For candidates who exceed role requirements, we are open to exploring above-range offers. Note that base salary is just one part of the overall compensation at Aspect. Members of the Aspect team also receive equity, a comprehensive benefits package, and support for continuous learning and career progression.
Who We Are
Aspect Biosystems is a Canadian biotechnology company creating bioprinted tissue therapeutics to transform how we treat disease. Our bold team of innovators and entrepreneurs have joined us from all over the globe to create a new class of regenerative medicine and work towards a future where our bioprinted tissues are used to save lives and make people healthier. We are endlessly curious and wildly passionate about what we do. Every person on our team is a key contributor to our success and is eager to roll up their sleeves to make a difference in the ever-changing world of biotech. If you are committed to making a real impact and accelerating the development of life-changing therapies, we want to hear from you!
At Aspect Biosystems, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or terminate, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, provincial, or local law.