Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Thursday, February 1, 2024
We are seeking a Biomaterials Scientist to join Aspect’s multidisciplinary research and development team focused on the development of cell-based implantable tissue therapeutics. Reporting to the Senior Manager, Biomaterials R&D, you will contribute to the design, generation, and characterization of biomaterials suitable for manufacturing bioprinted therapeutic tissue implants for preclinical evaluation with a path to clinical development. By working closely with our team of scientists and engineers, you will play a central role in the development of material strategies for bioprinted tissue therapeutics.
- Define biomaterial requirements for the development of therapeutic cell encapsulated bioprinted tissue implants to support cell function, material biocompatibility, and implant durability.
- Design, develop and functionalize novel synthetic or biopolymers or formulate off-the shelf biomaterials to support the development of bioprinted tissue therapeutics.
- Define and execute proof-of-concept studies to evaluate and characterize biomaterials using qualified assays and analytical tools.
- Liaise with our manufacturing and regulatory groups to support stage-appropriate biomaterial manufacturing processes, scalable sourcing of materials, and quality assurance measures for pre-clinical and clinical studies.
- Create SOPs, deliver experimental reports, support patent applications, and present experimental results to key internal and external stakeholders.
- Contribute to development of project milestones, timelines, and product deliverables in collaboration with senior R&D management and tissue therapeutic program teams.
- Maintain clear and rigorous experimental records, including electronic lab notebooks.
- Become an expert user of Aspect’s microfluidic 3D bioprinting technology.
- Education: PhD in biomedical engineering, tissue engineering, chemical engineering, or similar discipline.
- Biomaterials Experience: You have hands-on experience in developing biomaterials for drug delivery, cell encapsulation, tissue engineering, or clinical applications. You have worked extensively with synthetic and natural biomaterials for similar applications and developed strategies to characterize the biomaterials for intended use. Experience in hydrogels for cell-encapsulation or bioink formulation for 3D bioprinting applications or testing of biomaterials in preclinical models is helpful.
Who You Are
- Intellectually Curious: You have a burning desire to learn more and are not afraid to ask questions.
- Problem Solver: You love immersing yourself in difficult technical problems and coming up with solutions that work. You think outside the box and use your experience and intuition to identify when such solutions are realistic.
- Detail-Oriented & Meticulously Organized: You have outstanding attention to detail and take pride in your work and strive for excellence. You can multitask, prioritize competing deadlines, and have a track record for delivering work on time.
- Thrive in Ambiguity: You are highly adaptable, agile, and poised when faced with change, ambiguity, and competing priorities.
- Collaborative: You thrive in a multi-disciplinary team environment and believe that we can get further, faster by working together.
- Effective Communicator: You are an active listener who can effectively communicate with different audiences in diverse situations.
- Time Management: You have excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work.
- Go-Getter: You work with a sense of urgency, are results-driven, and thrive in a fast-paced, interdisciplinary, and entrepreneurial environment. You are willing to roll up your sleeves and do what it takes to get the job done.
The hiring range for this role is $77,000 - $110,000, annually. Our ranges are based on market data. Offered salaries will be based on a combination of factors including, but not limited to, job-related knowledge, skills, education, and experience. For candidates who exceed role requirements, we are open to exploring above-range offers. Note that base salary is just one part of the overall compensation at Aspect. Members of the Aspect team also receive equity, a comprehensive benefits package, and support for continuous learning and career progression.
Who We Are
Aspect Biosystems is a Canadian biotechnology company creating bioprinted tissue therapeutics to transform how we treat disease. Our bold team of innovators and entrepreneurs have joined us from all over the globe to create a new class of regenerative medicine and work towards a future where our bioprinted tissues are used to save lives and make people healthier. We are endlessly curious and wildly passionate about what we do. Every person on our team is a key contributor to our success and is eager to roll up their sleeves to make a difference in the ever-changing world of biotech. If you are committed to making a real impact and accelerating the development of life-changing therapies, we want to hear from you!
At Aspect Biosystems, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or terminate, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, provincial, or local law.