Junior Product Designer and Drafter
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Thursday, November 9, 2023
We are seeking a Junior Product Designer and Drafter to support Aspect’s highly multidisciplinary Engineering and Technology development team. In this role, you will be a core member of the team, creating technical drawings and CAD designs for a range of projects focused on themes of microfluidics, microfluidic manufacturing, and bioprinted tissue manufacturing. You will use your extensive experience and attention to detail to ensure technical mechanical design files are complete and follow established standards, helping to ensure Aspect’s technology solutions are of the highest quality and accelerating our mission to deliver game-changing new medicines to patients.
- Create detailed 2D and 3D CAD drawings and models based on Engineering concepts and specifications with manufacturability in mind.
- Generate assembly drawings and instructions, ensuring compliance with ASME standards.
- Maintain the Engineering Parts database and ensure part information, numbering, versioning, etc. are consistent and correct.
- Source mechanical and electrical suppliers who can provide us with the parts we need.
- Request quotes from vendors for parts and assemblies made to our specifications while effectively communicating our requirements.
- Effectively act on DFM feedback from vendors; championing Aspects interests while understanding and acting on the limitations expressed by vendors to get the best parts possible.
- Collaborate closely with all members of the Engineering team and in-house machining to ensure technical designs are completed efficiently and correctly.
- Participate in design review meetings and technical brainstorming, providing insights and recommendations that help to identify optimal solutions.
- Attain an intimate understanding of our PDM workflow and participate in any optimization efforts.
- Assist in maintaining the R&D workshop, keeping inventory well organized and supplied, and maintaining instrumentation such as 3D printers.
- Assist in the assembly of mechanical and electrical systems.
- Technical diploma or Engineering degree with 2+ years in an Engineering office producing 2D and 3D drawings.
- Proven ability to create high-quality technical drawings with a practical understanding of GD&T.
- Proficiency with Solidworks.
- Strong understanding of ASME drawing standards (ASME Y14.5-2018).
- Hands-on experience building mechanical assemblies with a good working knowledge of hand tools and machine tools.
- Familiarity building electrical assemblies such as PCBs and cables.
- Familiarity with PDM and ERP systems.
Who You Are
- Problem Solver: Demonstrated ability to identify practical working solutions to problems with challenging constraints.
- Effective Communicator: You have superior written and verbal communication skills. You are an active listener who can communicate to different audiences in diverse situations.
- Detail Oriented: You can reliably and repeatably perform tasks that require acute attention to detail. You take pride in your work and strive for excellence in the work you do.
- Go-Getter: You work with a sense of urgency, are results-driven and thrive in a fast-paced, interdisciplinary, and entrepreneurial environment. You are willing to roll up your sleeves and do what it takes to get the job done.
The hiring range for this role is $52,000 - $75,000, annually. Our ranges are based on market data. Offered salaries will be based on a combination of factors including, but not limited to, job-related knowledge, skills, education, and experience. For candidates who exceed role requirements, we are open to exploring above-range offers. Note that base salary is just one part of the overall compensation at Aspect. Members of the Aspect team also receive equity, a comprehensive benefits package, and support for continuous learning and career progression.
Who We Are
Aspect Biosystems is a Canadian biotechnology company creating bioprinted tissue therapeutics to transform how we treat disease. Our bold team of innovators and entrepreneurs have joined us from all over the globe to create a new class of regenerative medicine and work towards a future where our bioprinted tissues are used to save lives and make people healthier. We are endlessly curious and wildly passionate about what we do. Every person on our team is a key contributor to our success and is eager to roll up their sleeves to make a difference in the ever-changing world of biotech. If you are committed to making a real impact and accelerating the development of life-changing therapies, we want to hear from you!
At Aspect Biosystems, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or terminate, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, provincial, or local law.