Head, Therapeutic Cell Platforms
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2023
We are seeking a Head, Therapeutic Cell Platforms, to join Aspect’s R&D team. The Head, Therapeutic Cell Platforms, will play a critical role in enabling the development of our stem cell containing bio-printed therapeutics pipeline and supporting efforts to generate pre-clinical data for translation to later stage pre-clinical development and regulatory approval.
- Oversee the scientific activities of the stem cell team, aligning it with Aspect's scientific and corporate strategy.
- Lead the implementation of stem cell training, culture, maintenance, expansion, banking, and differentiation capabilities.
- Build and manage a team of stem cell biologists. Attract, mentor, and retain top scientific talent, fostering a culture of excellence, collaboration, and innovation within the team.
- Direct and expand cell characterization methods, incorporating flow cytometry, molecular diagnostics, sequencing, and more.
- Contribute to the planning, design, and execution of pre-clinical studies to generate robust proof of concept data on the safety, efficacy, and mechanism of action of cell-containing bioprinted therapeutics.
- Contribute to strategy to source and test clinically and commercially-appropriate stem cell lines for therapeutic development.
- Oversee cell engineering activities ensuring appropriate characterization and commercial/regulatory considerations.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including biomaterials, bioprinting, in vivo, histology, process development, and engineering.
- Optimize in-licensed and publicly-available stem cell protocols ready for transfer to scalable manufacturing.
- Work with the IP team to identify and assess in-licensable stem cell protocols.
- Successfully perform technology transfers for in-licensed stem cell differentiation protocols.
- Facilitate meetings with collaborators, stem cell experts, and attend/present at stem cell conferences.
- Report results to internal and external stakeholders, including academic and industry partnerships.
- Identify and implement new opportunities to enhance Aspect's stem cell strategy.
- Collaborate with engineering and R&D teams to integrate stem cells into bioprinting platforms, optimizing printing parameters, and ensuring the fidelity of cell structures within printed tissues.
- Ensure pre-clinical studies are conducted in compliance with relevant regulatory guidelines and industry standards to support future regulatory submissions.
- Develop and manage the team's budget, allocating resources efficiently to achieve key pre-clinical milestones.
- Bring industry experience and insights to the company, leveraging knowledge of stem cell science, biotechnology trends, competition, and market opportunities to inform strategic decision-making.
- A Ph.D. in stem cell biology, tissue engineering, regenerative medicine, or a related field.
- Minimum of 10 years of progressive experience in pre-clinical research and development, with at least 5 years in a leadership position within the biotechnology industry.
- Specific experience in developing stem cell-based therapies, with a strong understanding of stem cell differentiation, cellular gene editing and tissue engineering.
- Proven track record of building stem cell R&D teams within industry.
- Proven track record of successfully advancing stem cell-based therapies through pre-clinical stages of development.
- Strong knowledge of regulatory requirements and guidelines for cell-containing bioprinted therapeutics.
- Excellent leadership, communication, and collaboration skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex projects and cross-functional teams effectively.
- Established network and reputation within the stem cell and regenerative medicine communities.
Who You Are
- Intellectually Curious: You have a burning desire to learn more and are not afraid to ask questions.
- Problem Solver: You love immersing yourself in difficult technical problems and coming up with solutions that work. You think outside the box and use your experience and intuition to identify when such solutions are realistic.
- Detail-Oriented & Meticulously Organized: You have outstanding attention to detail and take pride in your work and strive for excellence. You can multitask, prioritize competing deadlines, and have a track record for delivering work on time.
- Thrive in Ambiguity: You are highly adaptable, agile, and poised when faced with change, ambiguity, and competing priorities.
- Collaborative: You thrive in a multi-disciplinary team environment and believe that we can get further, faster by working together.
- Effective Communicator: You are an active listener who can effectively communicate with different audiences in diverse situations.
- Time Management: You have excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work.
- Go-Getter: You work with a sense of urgency, are results-driven, and thrive in a fast-paced, interdisciplinary, and entrepreneurial environment. You are willing to roll up your sleeves and do what it takes to get the job done.
Who We Are
Aspect Biosystems is a Canadian biotechnology company creating bioprinted tissue therapeutics to transform how we treat disease. Our bold team of innovators and entrepreneurs have joined us from all over the globe to create a new class of regenerative medicine and work towards a future where our bioprinted tissues are used to save lives and make people healthier. We are endlessly curious and wildly passionate about what we do. Every person on our team is a key contributor to our success and is eager to roll up their sleeves to make a difference in the ever-changing world of biotech. If you are committed to making a real impact and accelerating the development of life-changing therapies, we want to hear from you!
The environment at Aspect is fast-paced, collaborative, ever-changing, and supportive. We are looking for team players who bring substantial expertise and competency in their field. We offer competitive compensation packages and benefits with excellent opportunities for personal growth and career development.
At Aspect Biosystems, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or terminate, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, provincial, or local law.